Leica M240: The Full Review from Ride Earth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sebastiaan de With gives the M240 a run for its money on a long haul motorcycle trip.  One of his "tests" was a motorcycle crash in Alaska at 55 mph (88 km/h) with the camera slung over his shoulder.  :o

This is a comprehensive article with quite a selection of photographs to have a look at - enjoy!

Edited by Carlos Danger
  • Like 11

Sebastiaan de With gives the M240 a run for its money on a long haul motorcycle trip.  One of his "tests" was a motorcycle crash in Alaska at 55 mph (88 km/h) with the camera slung over his shoulder.  :o

This is a comprehensive article with quite a selection of photographs to have a look at - enjoy!

+1 for bike related article. :)

Now let me read....

Thanks for posting and glad you all enjoyed it! :)

This is so true and so overlooked. It's absolutely on the top of my list for the next gen M. Well said!! "The most important quality of a sensor in this day and age, for me, is its dynamic range. The dynamic range is essentially simply how well it can cope with images with very bright and dark areas in one frame. You can imagine the camera attempting to expose to retain detail in the highlights, but in doing so making the image darker, and thus losing detail in the shadows. If a camera sensor deals with this well, it has excellent dynamic range.

Having read the whole article. The only thing that I disagree with you about is the soft release. :-)

Regarding the repair, I agree that at this price point, it should be faster. If they don't want to add add more headcount, then I think that they should make the problem go away by doing 3-way swaps. They send you, a loaner, and take whatever time they need to, to fix yours, send your unit back to you when it is repaired, and then you send the loaner back in the same box. With the current price of used M's and the relative price stability, of used bodies. I was going to do something like that myself when my M needed repaired but ended up trading in my M and upgrading to a M-P instead.

Having a built in GPS would be nice but I've been able to work around that for the most part with a Suunto Ambit watch. I haven't tried it Mark Wallace from Adorama TV says that the acquisition time for the GPS in the handgrip is too slow.

Edited by bencoyote