Light meter on m5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone!

Really excited to be meeting you. Just got my first film a Leica m5 and has been trying to work out how to use the light meter ever since.

Doing the battery check tells me that the battery is working well, but I can't seem to get the meter to work.

I am using a screw mount Ltm canon lens hence I am unsure how that would affect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The M5 does not have an aperture indicator. 

I'd suggest the following: Fully open the aperture of your lens. With the shutter wound, point the camera at the sky (but not at the sun, please) and observe the positions of the needles. Now move the camera to point at the scene in front of you and keep observing the needles. Still observing the needles, slowly cover the lens with your palm or a book.

Does any of the needles while doing so?

If not, the cell in your camera that measures the light might be broken.

Hello Qixianggoh,

Welcome to the Forum.

On the top of the M5 is an ASA/Din button/dial with little lines on it. Sort of like a sunburst.

You might try turning that dial until it reads 21 across from 100 & then try metering again.

There is a similar looking dial on the back of the camera. The dial on the top is not physically connected to the similar looking dial on the back. You might do the same thing with the 1 on the back that you did with the dial on the top but only as a reminder of what is on top.  

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

You might want to check that you're using the right battery. I bought my M5 for cheaper than usual as the meter was not working despite having a fresh battery. I replaced the battery with one of these from Ebay: PX625 Mercury Replacement Battery V625PX and everything has worked perfectly ever since. Note that if a replacement battery adaptor has been fitted then this won't be your problem but if the camera is original then it could be what you need.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...