Leica XU

Sandokan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was intrigued by this underwater X. However, is it just me but a max depth of 15m sounds more like snorkeling. I would have preferred if it could go to 25m, as many of my dives do go down to 20m. I certainly dont want to be restricted where I can go for worry of the camera.

• 1 month later...

That's very bad news, hopefully you've another camera to continue your trip with. From what you say , it's less than the 15 metres they claim in the specification (depending on the time it's used there ) so hopefully Leica will repair/replace it under warranty. It would be good to get an update on your experience with this . I wonder if any of the beta testers actually used it under similar conditions as opposed to surface level snorkelling or heavy rain showers, perhaps they might comment, and if they were allowed to keep their cameras, are they still working perfectly ? . Thanks for the post. 

Very difficult , if not impossible for either side to prove I'd have thought, and also the duration it was used under water, which makes it difficult I would think if there is an issue, but judging by the posts here, very few have sold , so there should be plenty available to exchange with

I am sending to leica the sequence of more than 40 pictures taking with the camera. You can see in the first ones that everyting looks ok. Also you can see other diving around. Also you can see the distance between the bottom and the sea level. In this sequence also you can see when the camera beging to loss control of distance. Until the last pictures that are very blury!

15 meters is a lot under the water. The max time the leica recommends for continue diving is also plenty..

I am sending the camera to Leica USA. We will se what they say.

• Like 1

Cyrus, I hope you enjoy yours 

Thank you Martin, 

I've traded my Q for this one, and suddenly a smile popped on my face!

I find it also more compact (laugh quietly please) at least for my hands and I am quite happy for the results I get from day to day use.

In less than a week she will be splashed in the Aegean waters and she will be treated as she deserves!

Wil upload pictures soon!

• Like 2

I bought the X-U about a month ago and have had it in water about six times, three in the ocean and three in a lake behind my house.  From what I understand, the cutoff of 15 meters was determined by the rapid falloff in light levels past that distance.

It has behaved flawlessly so far.  I really love it, and it produces lovely, sharp pictures.  Biggest problem is that it's difficult to learn how to focus underwater, but that's more my fault than the camera's.

When I was doing the research to buy the X-U, my one fear was that it would not work well underwater.  I was rather upset that there were essentially no underwater pictures online from the X-U except for the Leica Store Miami's review, which while well written cannot be considered impartial :).

So I am not saying the enclosed picture is a masterpiece - the fish looks far too drab for that - but it's definitely a picture taken underwater in the ocean with a functioning Leica X-U that survived to tell the tale :).  And I have no affiliation with Leica or anyone related to the company, other than appreciating the Leica Store Miami and it's first-rate customer service.  This image was heavily cropped since most of it was pretty boring, but you can see the  fish and that it's nice and clear.

The X-U experience makes me want to buy the Q, whose design I think would be better for my above-water shooting style.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Have been enjoying the X-U for a few weeks, getting to know its capabilities !

I hate the DNG + JPEG , would like DNGs only,

Its AF is a joke and I'm still struggling with it.

Otherwise its obvious pros are its ruggedness and being a waterproof camera :-)

31105698322_c6a2e60cca_b.jpg

De l'air ! by JM__, on Flickr

31528982175_c8649afa24_b.jpg

Mauritius by JM__, on Flickr

31444989951_b4a4a96bd4_b.jpg

Le Pain Au Chocolat by JM__, on Flickr

Wanted to add that I am not a diver, only snorkling at times.

Cheers , JM

Edited by JMF