Monochrom and 35

Hayek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shooting a v.1 with older, lower-contrast Summicrons (35 & 50). Looking for a more modern look and my gaze is drifting toward the 35 C or 1,4/35 Distagon. Real impressed by images from the latter, but weight and finder blockage is making me balk. Can't find that much written on the C (Steve Huff has a short write up... I take him with a grain of salt) but it seems well-regarded.

Edited by Hayek
  • Like 1

The C-Biogon is  in my opinion the quintessential rangefinder lens.

Why? it is very small, bot not too much. Its focal length is very versatile. Distortion is almost zero. Resolution is impressive, and that comes from someone who had a Leica 50 APO Summicron, The only thing that I don't quite like is the contrast ( I like lower contrast lenses, in my opinion they fit much better a digital sensor), but this is a problem with most modern lenses. Last, but not least, it is one of the most affordable rangefinder lenses.

Edited by horosu

The C-Biogon is  in my opinion the quintessential rangefinder lens.

Why? it is very small, bot not too much. Its focal length is very versatile. Distortion is almost zero. Resolution is impressive, and that comes from someone who had a Leica 50 APO Summicron, The only thing that I don't quite like is the contrast ( I like lower contrast lenses, in my opinion they fit much better a digital sensor), but this is a problem with most modern lenses. Last, but not least, it is one of the most affordable rangefinder lenses.

it's the very high contrast that makes me wonder.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have you tried increasing contrast and definition for a more modern look in post processing?

I did. Still lacks the sparkle of modern glass.

I will recommend the Konica 35mm/2 UC-LTM lens for the MM.  It has beautiful rendering and very compact size.

Interesting suggestion. How does this lens render?

On the M246 it should work perfectly as it produces lower contrast DNG's and has higher dynamic range than the MM1. On the latter, well....yes

On the latter it is my to-go lens. Contrast is rather  irrelevant - that is what we have postprocessing for. Anyway, it is probably the "more modern look" the OP is aiming for.

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The images taken with Konica 35mm/2 UC-LTM has certain smoothness that more modern ASPH lenses don't have.  The center is very sharp wide open and the amount of contrast is just right.  

Edited by ocean2059
  • Like 2

oh wow! I will have to go and test it one of these days thats definitely appealing!

is the Summilux a good choice? Or Summicron is better?

I use the 35 Lux pre-FLE almost exclusively on my M-E.  I've recently posted Iceland travel photos on my blog as I drive around the island.  Most are made with the 35 Lux pre-FLE.

No one else here has mentioned it, so I suppose I will. Like you, I shoot with the M9M. I use the Summarit 35mm 2.5 and love it to death. It's tiny, produces fabulous images, and a great value. The older pre-ASPH Summiluxes are likely going to be more similar in look and rendering to the glass you already have, especially shot wide open. Only catch with the Summarit is that used prices seem unreasonably high...close enough to prices for Summicrons in some cases. 

I love my chrome 35 Summilux ASPH for almost any shooting, nicer bokeh than the hard sharp FLE, however I am seriously considering the Summaron 2.8 for work with my MM1.

Could be just the right contrast and look for classic B&W images.