chipped paint on lens hood

Adam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have managed to chip some paint off the hood of my 75 Summicorn. Nothing substantial (but it still hurts).

Is there anything I should do in order to protect the exposed metal? I sometimes shoot in wet and salty environments so want to make sure nothing like rust settles in there. Probably overreacting, but just want to make sure.

Thanks for any advice! 

Adam

Come on, this is Aluminium, as long as you don't dunk the hood in sea water, you'll be fine. I wish I had an Euro for ever paint chip I put on my lenses and hoods over the years. I'd probably could buy an Apo- Summicron.

• Like 2

Hello Adam,

You might try a "Rub A Dub" which is a variety of laundry marker local to you. It is made for marking clothes at laundries & it is somewhat more stable in a variety of situations (Sometimes optimistically called "permanent".) than some other brands.

Like a "Sharpie", It is easily removable with a little bit of pure acetone on the end of a "O-Tip".

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

I have managed to chip some paint off the hood of my 75 Summicorn. Nothing substantial (but it still hurts).

OMG! If that happened to me I'd leave me mate at once, disenfranchise my children and brothers, put my home to a public auction, go far away and blow myself up in a remote area! ...and leave my Leicas to Goodwill.

• Like 1

OMG! If that happened to me I'd leave me mate at once, disenfranchise my children and brothers, put my home to a public auction, go far away and blow myself up in a remote area! ...and leave my Leicas to Goodwill.

OK, but not in that order right?  Trying to donate your Leicas after you blow yourself up is just plain cheating. And since you disenfranchised everyone, chipped or not, you obviously have a plan to smuggle them in with you...

Being less cunning at hart, I will just disenfranchise - after all, somebody has to pay!

Edited by Adam

Black sharpie works fine for me. Could be blacker sometimes but i use the same as for 6-bit coding and it hides blemishes and unwanted markings easily. Now i can hardly pretend that i'm a pro photographer this way... Cruel dilemma :D

Hello Nick,

Welcome to the Forum.

As per your Post #9, just above: Some people might say "sometimes".

Best Regards,

Michael

I believe I joined here in 2006 or so--It's about time someone welcomed me!

Touching up dings and nicks is erasing history. 

Hello Nick,

What you restore or/& repair & how it is done, is a topic which comes up on a regular basis where I work.

Interestingly, everything everyone has said so far is reasonable.

Because 5 people can sit in the same chair & look at the same apple & see very different things.

Best Regards,

Michael

Black sharpie works fine for me. Could be blacker sometimes but i use the same as for 6-bit coding and it hides blemishes and unwanted markings easily. Now i can hardly pretend that i'm a pro photographer this way... Cruel dilemma :D

Gold paint, as in brass-like works for me. I say, I must spend an hour aging my Leica with gold make-up  for important occasions. Sunday walks through the city park. :)

Edited by pico
  • Like 1