Street Photography with the 21mm Elmarit 21mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello guys , I just bought a 21mm Elmarit f2.8 lens (the old one) for my Leica MP Typ 240.

Really enjoyed the lens. I just noticed that its min focus distance is 0.7 while i read on the internet that you can find a version that focus at 0.38.

Any other differences between the two lenses ? Somebody here have experience with the close focus version ?

I took some Street Pictures and wrote a little article for my blog: www.walkingphotographer.net/blog/21mm-street-photography

Thanks for your time !

Eolo
www.walkingphotographer.net

• Like 3

The minimum focus distance of Super-Angulon 21/4 and 21/3.4 (pic) is 0.4 meters AFAIK. Those lenses cannot meter in classic mode and exhibit color shifts on digital Ms. Sharp lenses in the center of the frame and rather soft in edges and corners below f/8. Vignetting and chromatic aberration are said to be important but i have no experience with those lenses. 

Super-Angulon f= 2.1 cm 1:4

21mm f3.4 Super-Angulon

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

First time i hear of a non-RF version of the Elmarit 21/2.8 from 1979 to 1985. Thanks for sharing. My Leitz catalogues from 1980 and 1982 don't mention it at all. See attached scan. I don't know well the history of 21mm Leitz lenses though. The OP might wish to ask his question on the Leica Collectors & Historica forum if he doesn't find a better answer here.

LeicaM_2128_catal.pdf

Edited by lct

This was my remark about confusing. Surely is is just not coupled closer that 0.7m!

I'm pretty sure that Luigi in the collectors area has both, so that may be the place indeed! A search of his started threads with 21 in the title should reveal all.

Michael