Please HELP Me

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Nature and Wildlife section of all the forums is the only place where I value advice. My little C typ 112 has died. I want to order a new camera today. My budget is $1,500.00.

I shoot Macro, Landscape, Lakes, and wish to shoot more birds.......Oh, I almost forgot, I mostly shoot my dog. Ha! V-LUX 114 or can I do better?

Your thoughts are always valued,

Al Gage

West Saint Paul

The V-lux certainly would fill your needs, but you could consider a Nikon D 3300 with a Sigma superzoom. APS-C with 24 MP will give you a slightly better image quality, plus the versatility of a DSLR and 18-250 focal length. (of course the V-Lux will get you to 400, but after cropping you will end up about the same) However, you'd lose the red dot and the "Leica-look".

Check out the Panasonic FZ1000. Same camera as the VLux 114, but for quite a bit less money. It has the leica lens, so you could still post your images here. The Panasonic doesn't come bundled with Lightroom, if that's important. And the standard warranty is one year as opposed to the three offered by Leica. For a limited time Panasonic was extending their warranties to three years but I'm not sure if that's still in effect. If you go with Nikon, you won't be able to post here.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1

Since you are used to Panasonic made "leica" portable camera, I suggest to check this one!

It has a "leica lens", it is small, with a EVF, and a quite powerful zoom. I believe the price is also very interesting.

Good luck.

Edited by Louis2

What was wrong with the Leica C that was not repairable?  Mine went back to Leica twice for repair under warranty but is fine now; spare parts are available; mine was fitted with a new replacement outer case. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first time I sent it back the lense would not telescope. This time it would continue turning on and off and would not download photos onto my Mac. Also, it would often display some type of modern art that would race across my screen. Then, there is the fact that I wanted more horse power. I threw it out with the garbage. I was very please with my little C but I was without an operable camera much too often.

+1 for the VLux 114.  Great choice!

I have had one for only one month, but it is a superb and versatile tool.  So much so that having seen mine, my brother (no real interest in cameras) now wants one.  The attached image, shot hand-held at the equivalent of 400mm, would probably not be possible with any of my other Leicas, (and certainly not hand-held!!)

Enjoy your new camera!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jcraf
  • Like 2

I have been using my V-Lux1 for 10 years and the versatility is so great. I guess later updates have improved the chip. I bought a C last year because I found with the size of the V-Lux I was losing spontaneity without carting the big camera around with me all the time. What amazed me  was that during my test shots between the two cameras the C won over every time for quality - just technology moved forward!

Richard