Does anyone have a copy of Firmware 1.0.0.8 for the 246?

BBHewee

My MM246 has started acting up since the last firmware update. I was wondering if it was firmware related, so if you happen to have a copy of the old firmware at hand I would appreciate it massively. 

Thanks!

How is it acting up?  I think I will wait to upgrade until it gets the complete shake down. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What would you want to do with it? The camera will not accept older firmware AFAIK.

If what you say is correct then Leica are missing a trick or two. By allowing roll back to a previous version, the manufacturer would have an army of field testers to help diagnose issues with the latest release. it should be possible; the boot loader just follows instructions 'load this software, check the checksum, run etc'.

It would also remove the need for owners to send their cameras back to Leica for instances such as this. Instead the camera could be rolled back and kept until Leica sort the firmware and re-release.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

Given what you said regarding a large number of Beta Testers and the fault being with just a few, suggests there's a timing dependency (between the hardware and firmware) not foreseen. In a clocked synchronous system this is rare, especially if the designers have done their stuff and have taken account of race conditions of the various logic chips at both end's of the manufacturer's data sheet. I'm assuming the firmware (software) provides functions but relies on dedicated hardware, for instance for shutter actuation. Prior to the firmware update everything nice and cosy, modify the code and without proper analysis errors can and do occur. Having Beta Testers is one thing, but the proper work occurs in the lab. Beta testers are just an added level of confidence on top of rock-solid design evidence, computer simulations, etc.

I wonder if there is a link with the M246 post firmware update to the M240 pre firmware update, both recording black frames? I'm 2 weeks into my wait to hear further from Leica regarding the M240 I returned for this issue. I returned it prior to the firmware release, but that's rather incidental.

Edited by Steve Ricoh
  • Like 2

I could be barking up the wrong tree, of course, but Cherylmeek's description sort of points to a marginal timing issue exacerbated by the dependency of software timing which may be linked to the update. Only Leica know for sure, but a further release of firmware will be a fair indicator that hindsight is a wonderful thing, like 20:20 vision.

Saying the motherboard has been flashed (Leica said this, I assume) could be interpreted in many ways. One interpretation is the firmware is corrupt. But like me and my camera, I do hope a fault diagnostic and repair report is returned with the camera, saying what they discovered and what repairs/corrections were performed to affect a repair.

Edited by Steve Ricoh

I don't think my diagonis at a 'distance' benefits the situation, I only chipped in out of frustration, if the truth be known.

I'm fairly confident Leica will sort it out now they have a selection of malfunctioning cameras to investigate. I'm also sure they don't want the mighty Leica product name to be tarnished, so I think we should allow them some space and time (as long as it's not too long :)) to complete the investigation and report. 

Same happened to my 246 last week after upgrading to the recently released firmware. I could continue to use the camera after putting in an entire new battery and a freshly formatted memory card. Just exchanging the battery or the  memory card didn't solve the problem. 

I called Leica, who suggested to send the camera back to Wetzlar as this problem cannot be fixed by downgrading or other measures that I could do myself. However they have not been specific what the problem with the camera and latest firmware version is. I'll post an update when the camera is back from Wetzlar. 

Thanks for this information, I've not yet updated my cameras and will wait until june or so. I'm going on a trip on thursday so I really do not won't something like this to happen :). I'm also sorry for you guys who where hit by the problem.