Problem with Summarit 50mm f/2.5: flare or lemon?

faxao

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not laughing, but the fact that you're not using a lens hood with this lens might be important. I think you cradle the camera in your left palm and we see your left index finger. When using other lenses in portrait orientation, do you press your left index finger against the hood to stabilize the camera?

The 50mm/1:2.5 Summarit is one of my favorite lenses and it's not prone to flare at all.

My left finger is pushing on the focus tab below the lens. I agree with you though that using the lens hood is important especially with small sized lenses. Will try with the hood on as soon as my dealer provides me one.

I think the fact that the anomaly is flesh colored is significant.  Also shooting with a small lens sans hood makes it easy to get fingers in the way.  Ask me how I know.  :)

What. You've never seen skin colored sunshine?

In your place, I would do the following:

Mount the 35mm summicron with hood.

Stand in front of a mirror, facing at a right angle to the left or to the right.

Hold the camera in portrait orientation and aim for something outside of the window.

Do not release the shutter right now but turn towards the mirror without changing your hold on the camera.

Where are all your fingers?

Repeat with the Summarit without the hood.

In your place, I would do the following:

Mount the 35mm summicron with hood.

Stand in front of a mirror, facing at a right angle to the left or to the right.

Hold the camera in portrait orientation and aim for something outside of the window.

Do not release the shutter right now but turn towards the mirror without changing your hold on the camera.

Where are all your fingers?

Repeat with the Summarit without the hood.

Good point and will surely try this out thks

Happy to make you laugh....for me (being almost 100% sure it was not my finger) it is definitely less comic than it appears to you 

Surely you can not be serious!  :o

I am 100% sure it is your finger. It has happened to me a lot of times when using the Elmarit 28 which is a super performer and small in size without its hood. 

Dont disregard other, maybe more experienced, members opinion on the matter.

Here is one example with the 28. There is nothing wrong withe my lens exept there is a finger in the way. Need more proof?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by matlep

And here with the Summicron 35. Still nothing wrong with the lens. Just a finger in the way.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And here with the Summarit 35. Nothing wrong with this lens either. Just a finger in the way.

Thank you for the examples. Never happened to me with the 35mm (hood always on though) and I take your point regarding the possibility of being me not holding the camera properly. Hope the hood for the Summarit will be available soon so that I can exclude any other reason but my incorrect handling.

you state you hold the camera shutter button up, in vertical orientation.

how big are your hands ?

covering the lens with your knuckle is easy if you have big hands (as demonstrated in the attached pic of my M240 and 50 summarit without hood - fingertip is in the the focus tab

this is a fairly heavy crop to show the finger over the lens, but the full frame shows a similar flesh coloured smear across the corner of the image.

I tend to block the small RF window more than the lens, but i leave my hood on all the time too.

every time i have had flare on my 50 summarit it looked exactly like the flare in LCT's post.

• Like 1

Thank you for your suggestion. I do not have big hands but I cannot exclude my left index has occasionally been put in front of the lens. I will take some extra care during my next shootings and try to find out whether it was my fault or not.

I will take some extra care during my next shootings and try to find out whether it was my fault or not.

Unless someone is sneaking up behind you and putting their finger in front of your lens, you can be sure it is your fault. There should be no doubt that the "problem" shown is caused by an errant finger.

I tend to block the small RF window more than the lens, but i leave my hood on all the time too.

That's by far my biggest issue... But I can tell when the RF patch goes pinkish red, or when I don't have any movement in the RF patch at all...

I have pretty large hands (can palm a basketball) but don't have finger issues over the lens because I use the hood on all of them for that purpose, if for anything at all.

Cheers

Dan

All

Finger or not in the picture that started the thread, I think I encoutered a similar problem earlier today. But I'm not sure.

Do any of you have an idea what may be the cause of the problem? Sensor problem, lens problem, sun, ...

(I was using a 50mm summarit 2.5)

It was definitely due to my finger ;-D

Yves

Edited by blahpix
  • Like 1