Problem with Summarit 50mm f/2.5: flare or lemon?

faxao

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking for your precious help here. I have recently got a second hand, mint Summarit 50mm f/2.5 from a reputed dealer here in Italy and first shots with my M-P were looking very good.

Yesterday for the first time I had a very bad surprise downloading the DNG files shot with the Summarit. On some of the shots (I would rate 1 out of 10 on average) on the right side of the pics there is a red/pink halo, more frequent on the portrait shots vs. the landscape ones.

I am shooting with no hood (the dealer was out of hoods for this model, on order now) but it does not look to me like a "flare" problem. In most of the pics shooting conditions were just normal (i.e. no cross light whatsoever).

Normal flare problem for this model (I have read some reviews mentioning this) or I have just got a lemon?

Thank you for your help

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree, does not look like a flare profile, both in color and density gradient. It does look more like a object very close to the lens. My 50 2.5 has a slight flare tendency which happens rarely, but it is the "central veiling flare" common to Summicron designs. 

I have found this in the past. Finger was (as suggested above) the culprit, as with a short lens I was spanning my fingers across the barrel and little finger was resting nest to the rim of the lens. Easily tested by being conscious of grip on camera.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help. I am pretty sure it is not my finger or any other garnment/strap in front of the lens but I will test it again putting more attention to the grip of the camera. It did not happen to me with any other lens (Cron 35mm, Cron 90mm and the Zeiss 25mm) that's why I suspect my Summarit could be flawed.

I think it's your fingers, not all lenses handle the same hence maybe you only put your finger in front of the lens with this lens and not the others. 

It definitely doesn't look like flare to me. 

Edited by jip

Never seen flare like this with the 50/2.5. Can be worse (pic) but a bright light source (sun here) must be outside the frame to do that. Was it the case? Or fingers... If the stain were on the left why not but on the right? Do you have large hands?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct

When holding the camera in portrait orientation, do you hold the side with the shutter up or down? Iow, do you turn the camera clockwise or counter-clockwise?

You might try and take a portrait of yourself in a mirror, holding the camera in portrait orientation, of course, and using this very lens. 

Never seen flare like this with the 50/2.5. Can be worse (pic) but a bright light source (sun here) must be outside the frame to do that. Was it the case? Or fingers... If the stain were on the left why not but on the right? Do you have large hands?

attachicon.gifFUJ03325_c1si-after_web.jpg

Normal sized hands and no bright light source/cross light

When holding the camera in portrait orientation, do you hold the side with the shutter up or down? Iow, do you turn the camera clockwise or counter-clockwise?

You might try and take a portrait of yourself in a mirror, holding the camera in portrait orientation, of course, and using this very lens. 

I usually hold the shutter side up (i.e. turning the camera counter-clockwise). Will try to pay attention in holding the camera correctly going forward but what makes me mad is that I have already shoot several thousand shots with the M-P and different lenses and I have never ever had a similar problem before.

The 50mm Summarit (no hood) is the most recent addition to my Leica lineup and it has not yet been tested enough probably.

Thanks for your help. I am pretty sure it is not my finger or any other garnment/strap in front of the lens but I will test it again putting more attention to the grip of the camera. It did not happen to me with any other lens (Cron 35mm, Cron 90mm and the Zeiss 25mm) that's why I suspect my Summarit could be flawed.

Hahahaha! Most amusing thread ever. Im pretty sure it is your finger. Come on!  :p The 90 and 25 is much larger and less chance o your finger getting in the way. (Still laughing out loud!)

• Like 1

Normal sized hands and no bright light source/cross light

I usually hold the shutter side up (i.e. turning the camera counter-clockwise). Will try to pay attention in holding the camera correctly going forward but what makes me mad is that I have already shoot several thousand shots with the M-P and different lenses and I have never ever had a similar problem before.

The 50mm Summarit (no hood) is the most recent addition to my Leica lineup and it has not yet been tested enough probably.

I'm not laughing, but the fact that you're not using a lens hood with this lens might be important. I think you cradle the camera in your left palm and we see your left index finger. When using other lenses in portrait orientation, do you press your left index finger against the hood to stabilize the camera?

The 50mm/1:2.5 Summarit is one of my favorite lenses and it's not prone to flare at all.

Hahahaha! Most amusing thread ever. Im pretty sure it is your finger. Come on!  :p The 90 and 25 is much larger and less chance o your finger getting in the way. (Still laughing out loud!)

Happy to make you laugh....for me (being almost 100% sure it was not my finger) it is definitely less comic than it appears to you 

You definitely have a lemon there. 

Next time set the bowl of fruit aside and out of the way of your picture before opening the shutter.

Also, pickout better lemons next time. That one looks too pale and well under-ripe. 

;)

Another one for, it's definitely your finger or something in the way.