S wide angle lens.

thomasvr71

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a S007 + 70mm.

I`m now interested in buying a wide angle lens. 

My first idea was the 24mm Super Elmar f. 3.5 but then i checked also the 30mm Elmarit f. 2.8 and the 35mm Summarit f. 2.5

I`ll use the lens in particular for architectural and landscape shootings but i`ll buy only one wide angle lens and i suppose that the 35m  will be more versatile and it`s also f. 2.5

Have you some suggestion for me? 

I recently bought an S 006, 70mm Summarit-S and 30mm Elmarit-S. I cannot speak for the 24 or 35, however, I have a 28mm Elmarit-M with my M9 and was very happy with it. However, I frequently found that I needed just a little bit more wide angle. I also use a 75mm with 4x5 view camera, which is similar to 30mm on the S. Attached is a shot with the S and 30mm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by djmay
  • Like 3

I have the 24mm and 30mm.  Both image beautiully.  If I had to have one, I would buy the 30mm.  Physical size, filter size are easier to work with, and I am partial to the 30mm perspective.  For landscape I can shoot the 30 vertical and stitch two images, without doing the math it should be at least the 24mm equivalent.    Another consideration when shooting wide-angle landscape is the background relation to foreground, for me 24mm is the more difficult focal length as distant grandeur fades into insignificance.  OTOH the near perspective of the 24mm is without equal.  So my decision as to which to shoot depends on how good the foreground, emphasize greatly with a 24mm and background less significant or  emphasis less on foreground with a background more significant.   

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is really a personal choice. I had the 19mm in the R series when I was shooting with an R8-9... 

When I purchased my first S2 in 2010 (!) I had the 35, 70 and 180 lenses. With the advent of the 24, the 35 lay fallow for over a year before I traded it in..

As far as both the 35 and 24mm lenses go, they are amazing in resolution, contrast, accutance and lack of distortion.... Worth every penny..

Again, it is a personal decision.

Albert  :)  :)  :)

The 30mm has noticeable barrel distortion, considerably more than the 35mm. It's actually a little disappointing in that regard. 

The 35mm is also more common and thus significantly cheaper on the used market. It's smaller and lighter and of course a tad faster. I have both and between them I'd pick the 35mm, unless you have a particular fondness or need for the 24mm-equivalent angle of view.

The S24, which I haven't used, seems a different matter. If you need that wide, there's no other choice.