The Ferrari that started it all

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 1949 Ferrari 166MM Touring Berlinetta, Ser. # 0008M.

When Ferrari called a press conference to present this model to the press, one of the journalists present immediately nicknamed it 'Barchetta'........the little boat. This is the fourth of a total of 19 of these models built, and was completed in April '49, after which it was entered in the Mille Miglia road race in the month of May - which it won outright..

A month later this very car also won LeMans, with Luigi Chinetti & Lord Selson driving. Chinetti drove the car for more than 23 hours of the total 24 hour race duration, making it the first time any manufacturer had won the race in their first attempt at the most famous sports car event in the world. Those two victories, by this very car, went a long way to making Ferrari a household word around the world.

M-P 240 / 35mm Summilux FLE

JZG

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

A friend of mine restored #022 (at least I think it was #022) for George Frochen, gee must have been ages ago. I used to stop by every week or so to catch the progress. They are really cool little cars and the sound is awesome.