ASPH lenses: I finally gave in Tri-Elmar MATE- Need advice on Solms/Coding

jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ditto.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

It's a bit of a shame- without coding - you have to choose each focal length manually on the LCD. I don't see why this has to be? It's not the six bit system that tells the camera what framelines are selected is it? It has something to do with the mechanical linkage to the frame line lever on the M camera, no? Therefore couldn't the manual in camera lens profile be set simply to Tri Elmar mate- and the lens focal length be determined as it would with a six bit Mate lens? 

Now I really want to get it coded- but paying maybe 400 USD for a little engraving work- argh- not so keen.

I assume that this ought to be possible in firmware but is it worth Leica's time and effort to make a change like this?

I am very glad I had my MATE coded. Partly because I like to have the focal length recorded in the exif and I used to forget to change focal lengths in the menu.  More annoyingly is having the menu set to say 50mm and then swap the lens for something like a 21mm. This is doubly irritating as the lens corrections are all wrong as well as having the wrong values recorded.  It was making this mistake once too often that persuaded me to have the lens coded!  

It's a bit of a shame- without coding - you have to choose each focal length manually on the LCD. I don't see why this has to be? It's not the six bit system that tells the camera what framelines are selected is it? It has something to do with the mechanical linkage to the frame line lever on the M camera, no? Therefore couldn't the manual in camera lens profile be set simply to Tri Elmar mate- and the lens focal length be determined as it would with a six bit Mate lens? 

Now I really want to get it coded- but paying maybe 400 USD for a little engraving work- argh- not so keen.

I don't think that's true. If MATE is selected in the menu the focal lengths should change in the Exif when the cam is moved. When you change focal lengths look at the top of the LCD screen. The focal lengths on the lens should display there. Whatever the display says should be the same in the Exif.

Edited by jdlaing

I don't think that's true. If MATE is selected in the menu the focal lengths should change in the Exif when the cam is moved. When you change focal lengths look at the top of the LCD screen. The focal lengths on the lens should display there. Whatever the display says should be the same in the Exif.

Just tried it- no luck I am very sorry to say- it just says 50 no matter what I do (I have it set to 50 in the manual lens selection menu). Can you confirm: does your camera do this with an uncoded Tri Elmar? In my manual menu there are three options for the Wate and Mate: one for each focal length. I haven't installed the latest firmware: this issue hasn't been fixed has it? I seriously doubt I am going to be that lucky...

It's actually a real pain as it means I have to either leave coding off: or go and change it every time I change focal lengths- as the corrections will degrade the image if it isn't set to the correct profile especially at 35 and 28.

And one other thing: when I just did that I noticed a new message on my LCD "Check Battery Age" CRAP!

Edited by jaques

Just tried it- no luck I am very sorry to say- it just says 50 no matter what I do (I have it set to 50 in the manual lens selection menu). Can you confirm: does your camera do this with an uncoded Tri Elmar? In my manual menu there are three options for the Wate and Mate: one for each focal length. I haven't installed the latest firmware: this issue hasn't been fixed has it? I seriously doubt I am going to be that lucky...

It's actually a real pain as it means I have to either leave coding off: or go and change it every time I change focal lengths- as the corrections will degrade the image if it isn't set to the correct profile especially at 35 and 28.

And one other thing: when I just did that I noticed a new message on my LCD "Check Battery Age" CRAP!

I only have experience with the six bit version. I must have been mistaken if selecting the lens in the menu.