ASPH lenses: I finally gave in Tri-Elmar MATE- Need advice on Solms/Coding

jaques

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I finally gave in and purchased my first ASPH era Leica lens. I have had the m8, m8.2 m9, m9p, and now m240- and own over 30 leica M mount lenses- but not a single one from the modern era! I have gone for quantity over modern optics every time- and never regretted it.

But I finally gave in- as I was always going to- but even so I was stingy: if I was going to get an ASPH lens- I was going to get three focal lengths in one! And I will sell one redundant 50mm lens, and one 28mm lens to fund MATE- meaning I am effectively one focal length up so to speak! I am finally in the ASPH game!

Having made my late night decision- I realised that I also want this lens to be coded- so I get three codes for the price of one! My seller is in a place called Wolfstein- only 200km's from Solms! I am in Australia- 15,700kms away. So I have emailed him and asked if he can send it straight to Solms for me- and if they will forward it on.....

Assuming he can- does anyone have an idea of what six bit coding currently costs at Solms? Any forum members drive a lorry run through those parts and dropping into Solms soon ^_^

Congratulations for buying a MATE - it's the ideal lens for traveling if there's enough light for aperture 4.0.
I had mine six-bit-coded in 2013 and as they did some additional small works like tighten the aperture ring - Leica might always find something for justage or optimization at an 15-years old lens -   the bill was total at 340 Euros. 
The surprise will be somewhat lower if you ask before to a cost estimate by Leica. 

I wonder how you define modern? The MATE has been out of production for many years. But that doesn't detract from its merit. Beware of flare in certain circumstances. Use f/4 with confidence. Enjoy!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well done. A great travel companion. Even with the hood on, flare can indeed be an issue (primarily at 50mm in my experience) in some circumstances.

Since you won't get to see the lens beforehand, make sure you ask for a cost estimate. CS may decide that your lens requires more than just coding and the bill could end up being much higher than you expect.

Also, the lens should now go to Wetzlar, not Solms...

• Like 1

I got the version 1 lens. I love the DOF marking on the V2- and also like the focus tab- but beggars cannot be choosers. The V1 price was too good for me to resist (fingers crossed the lens is in good order).

Turns out the seller already sent it to me so I can't get it coded at Solms- er- Wetzlar- just yet. I wonder if Leica Australia can do coding here?

I am looking forward to using the lens a lot- I think being limited to f4 may actually be a good thing for me. Out of focus bokeh is often over-rated- and out of focus photos can be a pain! I imagine with the M9 ISO the f4 aperture could be limiting- but on the M240 I think I can make it work.

A question about the V1 lens: it has an inbuilt hood, correct? But the hood cannot be used with a filter? Is that correct? Is there an after market hood that can be used with a filter?

There is a small protrusion that is supposed to serve as a hood of sorts. You can use any E55 filters, but I wouldn't call it a hood proper. 

I would recommend buying the separate hood which is the same as the one used on the Elmarit 21 and 24 ASPH, reference 12592. And you can still use your E55 filters. 

• Like 1

Hi Jaques,

I had my MATE 6-bit coded in 2013-2014 in Solms via Camera Clinic. Quite a prolonged drama (due to Solms not Camera Clinic).

Cost ~$500

I would not sell a standard 28mm lens no matter how useful the MATE is as the barrel distortion of the MATE at 28 is significant, so there are times you really will probably want a fixed focal length 28.

PM me if you want to discuss it

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1

well- my plan was to sell my 28mm f2.8 version 2 Elmarit. It's a really great lens... but I have an F2 CV Ultron- it is also a great lens- a bit faster, a bit smaller- and a lot less expensive. So I will still have one standard 28mm... I am also going to sell my pre-asph chrome Summilux- I already have a summicron 50 and a f1 Noctilux- and about 10 other 50mm lenses! I love that Summilux but it has to go. I put the Elmar on the credit card and have 30 days to raise the funds that justify it.

The CV ultron is a great lens:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

OK- so I managed to sell my Summilux 50 and Elmar 28 just in time for the MATE to arrive- and they paid for the lens- except I had to chip in an extra $150- which makes for a pretty cheap Leica 35mm lens... I am so thrilled! the lens is in MINT condition. Everything works well: all frame line come up, focus is smooth, glass is pristine, etc. It's a strange feeling to be able to simply change frame lines at will- kind of a revelation after years of fixed focal lengths. I also discovered that the lens has a hidden close focus feature- between fixed settings- where (using live view) you can focus perhaps 50cm from the subject- this is pretty cool to have.

I have one question though for someone with this lens: when I turn the lens selector dial there is a distinct click for the 35 and 50 settings- but not for the 28mm setting. Is this normal or should there be a click at 28?

Edited by jaques
  • Like 1

I have one question though for someone with this lens: when I turn the lens selector dial there is a distinct click for the 35 and 50 settings- but not for the 28mm setting. Is this normal or should there be a click at 28?

That is normal for "28mm not distinct click".

You may find also that this 28mm position is loose/looser with different M body.

But sometimes, I turn to the 28mm position and no frame lines change, just turn back and again to 28mm position second time to have the frames.

Maybe my MATE vI has a "loose spring" that I manage to live with.

Regards,

Arnaud

• Like 1

It's a bit of a shame- without coding - you have to choose each focal length manually on the LCD. I don't see why this has to be? It's not the six bit system that tells the camera what framelines are selected is it? It has something to do with the mechanical linkage to the frame line lever on the M camera, no? Therefore couldn't the manual in camera lens profile be set simply to Tri Elmar mate- and the lens focal length be determined as it would with a six bit Mate lens? 

Now I really want to get it coded- but paying maybe 400 USD for a little engraving work- argh- not so keen.

Edited by jaques

On my V2, it clicks and the frames change correctly in the finder but the focal doesn't change in Info or in the exifs between 50mm and 28mm. The later on the M240 and on the SL.

Bizarre.

In fact it is normal on the SL, you have to choose it in the menu.

It is only on the M240 that the right focal should show in the exits.

Edited by Leicaiste

Some examples taken with MATE v2 on M9.

• Like 2

MATE v2 on M9.

• Like 1

And MATE v2 on M246.

• Like 1