The Leica M-D thread - merged.

jcraf

Does it?

Yes, that is the way a belt-driven CVT shifts gear continuously. Nice video, thank you for linking. :)

There are even people who argue that the Mitsubishi PHEV shifts gear by a virtual CVT as there is an electronic/digital feedback that can match the revolutions of the engine to the load on the wheels without mechanical connection in series hybrid mode, but that is a bridge too far for me. 

However, aren't we getting slightly OT? As a moderator, I will have to split and move this part to the bar if we are to continue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My new M-D hat about 25 particles on the sensor.

Tried to clean in with the blower, and about 90% is gone, just a few particles left, so it will need a wet clean soon.

But it seems that this is normal for a new camera, so I'm not worried about this.

For the rest, the M-D is fun to use.

It brings me back the portability of a street camera that I did not had with the SL!

John 

Funny thing is the more I shoot my M240 "blind" (taped over display) and the more accurate I get at handling tricky lighting "blind" the more I want to swap it out for the M-D!

But really that would be a silly investment of at least $4K on top of the sale price of my M.

Gah!! :p

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Funny thing is the more I shoot my M240 "blind" (taped over display) and the more accurate I get at handling tricky lighting "blind" the more I want to swap it out for the M-D!

But really that would be a silly investment of at least $4K on top of the sale price of my M.

Gah!! :p

Can't you simply keep the screen blank, rather than tape over it?  For my MM, I keep the screen off but must use if for certain things such as assigning lens, format etc. 

Can't you simply keep the screen blank, rather than tape over it?  For my MM, I keep the screen off but must use if for certain things such as assigning lens, format etc. 

Having both the M-P and the M-D, I have to say that it's a world of difference between them in the ease of physically handling the camera. The M-D handles just like my M4-2: you can grip it, hold it, any way you'd like without accidentally changing settings. With the M-P and all the other Ms with buttons and LCD on the back, the gripping area is significantly reduced since you can't just press buttons or squeeze the LCD too hard, never mind thumbprints. The M-D feels, at the same time, both smaller and more spacious because of this.

It's the handling that really distinguishes the M-D from the other digital Ms.  :)

• Like 4

I am so tempted. I really don't need it but am strangely attracted. I made the mistake of picking up one in a shop and its beautiful and simple - almost perfect!

My question is,  long term M-D question. Those who have had it more then a month or so now, still enjoying it ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When for many years I used Rolleiflex 6x6 SLRs (the upmarket Hasselblad!) the polaroid back was one of my most useful accessories.

I don't mean to do it but I am always drawn to difficult lighting situations either because of location or mood. Even with all my years of experience I often cannot judge exactly what's the best exposure or lighting. I love to experiment with photography as well, so relying on formulae is less attractive (though very often necessary, helpful and instinctive) than trying to start from scratch at each opportunity. So having the ability to review/preview shots is still exciting and a natural part of photography for me.

Using a camera that made this difficult or even impossible would be putting me in a position where the camera was dictating the photography to me rather than helping me to discover things for myself. This would be a very retrograde step, hence my personal opinion that the MD, attractive though it is, would be a very poor choice of camera for me.

• Like 5

If this is selling for € 10.000,-  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162223179427?vectorid=229466&lgeo=1&item=162223179427&rmvSB=true

I cannot wait, until the M-D comes on the second hand market. I wood gladly buy one as a back-up for my M 240. Ideal when you shoot with two cameras. You can use the M 240 for the difficult lighting. Only hope that it is not too different in handling.

When for many years I used Rolleiflex 6x6 SLRs (the upmarket Hasselblad!) the polaroid back was one of my most useful accessories.

I don't mean to do it but I am always drawn to difficult lighting situations either because of location or mood. Even with all my years of experience I often cannot judge exactly what's the best exposure or lighting. I love to experiment with photography as well, so relying on formulae is less attractive (though very often necessary, helpful and instinctive) than trying to start from scratch at each opportunity. So having the ability to review/preview shots is still exciting and a natural part of photography for me.

Using a camera that made this difficult or even impossible would be putting me in a position where the camera was dictating the photography to me rather than helping me to discover things for myself. This would be a very retrograde step, hence my personal opinion that the MD, attractive though it is, would be a very poor choice of camera for me.

Yes the M-D has limitations, which are somewhat its appeal.

I would like one, but I agree it couldn't be my only camera.

I was using LV just the other day on my M240 to focus a 135mm APO properly and the results were astonishing. Proving again to me at least that the lens is the most important component.

BTW I couldn't get the focus tack on with my eye. Approximate and "good enough" for sure but not in a way that showed the sparkle of this lens

[............................]

I would like one, but I agree it couldn't be my only camera.

[.............................]

Your perfectly right ;)  I got the M-D selling my 240 but kept the T system. :)

Edited by papimuzo

• 5 weeks later...

Just got mine; what a beautifully build camera! But I have not shot a frame yet.

Have to adjust the date first and that's quite a task.

But I will use the MD next to my Sony A7, that I need for macro and I sold the Q with regrets,

since it is such a great cam. But I can't handle three camera's.

• Like 1

Thats exactly the reason why I went for the 262 with display, even though there is a certain temptation to go for the simplicity of the MD.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am so tempted. I really don't need it but am strangely attracted. I made the mistake of picking up one in a shop and its beautiful and simple - almost perfect!

My question is,  long term M-D question. Those who have had it more then a month or so now, still enjoying it ?

Yes. Indeed enjoying it a lot. I'm already on my second one  ;)  The first one had a lens code sensor disease. No - this is not my only digital camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you're very commited and also very confident with your photography, this no screen approach could be very liberating.

But experienced photogs are still not the only ones to enjoy the feeling. When I tried to live with film rangefinder for a while, the sense of liberation was quite a wondefull thing. At the same time I was missing the "instant gratification" of reviewing the photos when getting back to hotel (or home). So in a way I could imagine liking the M-D quite a lot.

I could also imagine wanting a incident light meter to use with it..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes. Indeed enjoying it a lot. I'm already on my second one   ;)  The first one had a lens code sensor disease. No - this is not my only digital camera.

Oh, I never thought about the lens code issue. I have several older uncoded lenses that I enter manually. Is there even a way to do that with the M-D?