The Leica M-D thread - merged.

jcraf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

First MP, then MP, then M-P.  SL to SL2, now back to SL (will there be SL2, too?).  Now MD, then M-D.  Will MA lead to M-A?  Is it ME, or M-E?

An M10, called M and and future M11 called M, too.

How much more idiotic can this all become?

Just buy the one you like and call it Susie, or Bob...

• Like 3

Just buy the one you like and call it Susie, or Bob...

Good idea: let's go with it!

First bring out Bob, then the more purist (no red dot) B-ob typ 356, then Bob again (short for Bob edition 60), then Safari Bob, then the rather expensive upgrade to the discreet Bob P, and finally back to Bob (typ 456)!

I look forward to reading the 2035 edition of Putts, Leica Chronicle and laughing my butt off at what will sound like a replay of The Three Stooges.  Leica seems to be trying its hardest to become a company without a history. 

The M-D Typ 262 name concerns me because it suggests that it's the same generation as the 240/262. The sensor in the M 240/262 is fine, but it's not exactly a spring chicken and I'm unsure how appealing any camera would be--especially one at the assumed price range--with a nearly 3 year old sensor/processor at its core.

I'm hoping that the Q sensor/processor runs this camera, but I'd just expect a different 'Typ' at the end of its name. It's a damned shame because I'd be waiting in line on day one for such a thing. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sounds like it will be a RF after all, a 262 without a screen, a true M and a nice camera. However a lot of folks got excited hoping for a M mount Leica Q type, a EVF model that without a 28mm lens should actually be cheaper than the Q (GBP2900), so less then that!, the 262 is GBP3900. I’d have bought a “Q-M” whilst waiting for the new M.

• Like 1

It looks as if Leica is milking the M240 technology for all that it can producing a variety of stripped down versions which may appeal to those who demand simplicity. I see little advantage in removing useful attributes from the M240 and even if the new variants are at lower cost it should be noted that the asking price for new M240s has dropped considerably and there are plenty of used ones available. Does this suggest that we may be waiting longer than anticipated for a new version of the M240?

• Like 1

Does this suggest that we may be waiting longer than anticipated for a new version of the M240?

Photokina is from 20-25 September 2016.

When looking back to the 2014 event, I'm sure that Leica will then introduce a lot of new exiting products.

Until then only some minor upgraded stuff.

John

Edited by satijntje

you know, I'm as guilty as the next person in all of this.......

We're all caught up in this merry-go-round of digital technology where cameras are now like computers, mobile 'phones and God knows what other electronic "must have" seemingly has to be re-born every year or it dies off.

It's really kinda nuts isn't it?

Here we have a perfectly good camera system in the M, some small warts as with any tool we use but we're suckered into panting after the next great thing to come along every time.

Thank you Steve Jobs, you were the master at this and I've too many Macs to prove it, and now trying not to go that way with cameras too.

Sure there's a list of things I don't like or would wish different on my M's and the Q, but I'm trying not to be distracted too much by speculation of what's up next and figuring out if I'd be able to afford whatever it is going to be anyway.

The M as it is, the MM and probably the Q too but not so much, should be a camera that's good enough for a decade or so of good imaging and I hope I find good reason to make that happen with mine.........

Now if only Leica or another serious manufacturer made an upgradable camera, ( something like the RED digital Cinema cameras......well they're sort of upgradable ), that I could get behind big time but sadly I can't see it happening.

I've mentioned the whole upgradable feature before and I stick to the desire and its viability. We've seen with the Q that the current tech can fit a modern full frame sensor/processor in an M6 body. That form factor is optimal as far as I'm concerned and would love for new bodies to allow for replacement of the motherboard/processor/sensor--especially if they're serious about committing to this idea of a RF without an LCD. 

Edited by insf

The "D" actually stands for "Display"... but it actually has no display. Keep reading.

Leica found that the SL is not selling well, so they decided to strip-down the M even more.

The Leica MD (Typ -500) is very light, weighting 500g less than the M262. Leica engineers achieved this by getting rid of the rangefinder, display, sensor, electronics and battery. The MD is in fact meant for display, and will not record any photos you take. That is not a problem for Leica collectors, and is actually a feature for many of us who can finally be proud of taking great photos without having to show them to other people. Do your photos suck ? Get a MD !

• Like 1

The "D" actually stands for "Display"... The MD is in fact meant for display, and will not record any photos you take. That is not a problem for Leica collectors, and is actually a feature for many of us who can finally be proud of taking great photos without having to show them to other people. Do your photos suck ? Get a MD !

I'm sure glad the A in Leica M-A was not for Attrape it is was most frequently used camera last year .

Leica have covertly switched to hexadecimal numbering so the M-A is the M10, the M-E is the M14 and M-D will be the M13 ( lucky us )

Just as in the past, Leica still cannot keep to a straight forward progression  : M3, M2, M1, MD, M4 ...

It is actually hexaicosal numbering, because we also have the M26 "M-P".

My guess is that it's an M(262) without an LCD.

There was some pressure for Leica to release an M Edition 60 as a production model, at an affordable price (okay, not as expensive as the M(240)).  I'm sure many will recall the complaints over the fact that Leica charges more for removing features.  So, what they've done (it seems) is to take their new entry level M camera (the M(262), with its aluminium top deck and disabled video) and removed the LCD.  So, much like the M60, no live view, no video and no menus, no Jpegs.

The difference from the M60 is the M60 is made from stainless steel, also has the stainless steel 35 Summilux ASPH, and it is based on the M-P (with the 2GB shutter), rather than the M(262).

The dimensions of the M(262) are almost identical to the M(240) according to the technical data, with the M(262) having the notch cut out of the top deck, next to the viewfinder.  The M(262) is also 0.4mm narrower.  I'm not sure that it has the same dimensions as the M9, as claimed - looks like it has the same thickness as the M(240).

So, my pick - the M(262) without the LCD or live view.  A more affordable, production version of the M Edition 60, in other words.  It will be interesting to see if it will take the Visoflex EVF (I'm sure that would be useful for some).

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 3

IkarusJohn, my thoughts exactly. They're giving it the same Typ number as the M 262, and while each designation may not mean "anything", giving it the same designation as another had to be thought through. 

It's an M 262 without an LCD. If it isn't, they're just playing dirty tricks on us with how they name their cameras.

Edited by insf

So, my pick - the M(262) without the LCD or live view.  A more affordable, production version of the M Edition 60, in other words.  It will be interesting to see if it will take the Visoflex EVF (I'm sure that would be useful for some).

As I understand how these things work, the Visoflex (EVF) attachment will not work without a live view function to engage and feed it signal.

BTW, shooting an M7 and M262 these days. They go together quite well.

• Like 1

As I understand how these things work, the Visoflex (EVF) attachment will not work without a live view function to engage and feed it signal.

There is not much to understand. Companies can software-castrate a camera very flexibly. The Live View function and EVF is there already in the sensor/chipset, but the marketing monkeys want you to spend more to get the premium features available in the M240.

All signals are there, it's just this little software line of code:

if (user_money < greedy_amount) don't give him sh*t;

Hope this is explicit enough.

Edited by CheshireCat