The Leica M-D thread - merged.

jcraf

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I hear from a reliable source that Leica will announce a new M within the next week, the M-D, based on the M60. Essentially a (slimmed down?) M262 without a screen.

I may of course be wrong, so feel free to shout me down.  Especially those who bought M60 sets as investments.

• Like 1

According to Leica Rumors, there is a possibility that the camera will not have a rangefinder...and you know what that means. It's yet another opportunity for the people on this forum to tell us what the "M" stands for.  it seems we don't go more than 10 days or so, with someone sharing that tired information.

http://leicarumors.com/2016/03/04/the-new-leica-m-d-camera-will-it-have-a-rangefinder.aspx/#more-39689

• Like 1

According to Leica Rumors, there is a possibility that the camera will not have a rangefinder...and you know what that means. It's yet another opportunity for the people on this forum to tell us what the "M" stands for.  it seems we don't go more than 10 days or so, with someone sharing that tired information.

http://leicarumors.com/2016/03/04/the-new-leica-m-d-camera-will-it-have-a-rangefinder.aspx/#more-39689

How grating for you.

Your own stunning expertise notwithstanding, it's possible that there are still a few people in the world who don't yet know what the M stands for, and who might benefit from being told. Did you acquire this knowledge in the womb?

Incidentally, yours is about the tenth example I've seen of this tired rumor being linked to today.

I may of course be wrong, so feel free to shout me down.  Especially those who bought M60 sets as investments.

The well known café dealer in London has/had a mint M60 set (not just the body) for £7200 last week so I'm not sure how much of an investment the M60 has been proving.

The M-D sounds like an interesting prospect but, if the name is anything to go by, the rangefinderless (rather than LCD-less) rumour seems more appropriate. Like the old MD but presumably with built in EVF.

Edited by wattsy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is MD sensor and processor going to be based on M240 or is it going to be a brand new development?

If new MD is fitted with built in EVF only big question is it going to be same grade as external EVF currently on M240/246 (which is coupled to camera processor and can't be upgraded) or is it going to be more advanced EVF like Q or SL requiring presumably compatible newer processor.

Guest JonathanP

We're just seeing the run-out models used to extend the life of an exiting product. Car manufacturers generally keep adding bits whereas Leica tends to:

1. create a "plus" build mid-cycle (adding sapphire screen etc)

2. start rolling out "minus" builds, now extended with the M240:

• remove the bayer array
  • remove live view
  • remove the LCD screen

I expect we should see a special collectors edition soon where the sensor has also been removed. Designed for the purists, and the battery life will be great. 

• Like 8

I'm sticking with idea that if the M-D is announced it will have no screen, but retain the rangefinder. That was my point about the M60 reference -  i.e. Leica has done this already and it would be simple for them to produce a 'cooking' M60 (=M-D) in 'ordinary' materials, with the same M240 DNA.

I recall a certain amount of clamour for such a model at the time of the M60 release ( and even before). 

Any M with an EVF and no RF (or hybrid finder) would surely be the next generation camera, with a new sensor etc: the M360 or whatever.

But then again, I'm not placing any bets.

• Like 1

First MP, then MP, then M-P.  SL to SL2, now back to SL (will there be SL2, too?).  Now MD, then M-D.  Will MA lead to M-A?  Is it ME, or M-E?

An M10, called M and and future M11 called M, too.

How much more idiotic can this all become?

• Like 4