Is this dust on sensor?

Ernstk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Took this yesterday. M8 with Nikon 24/2.8.

It's the first photo where I've had such a large expanse of clear sky.

Are the dark marks sensor dust?

Thanks

Ernst

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Ernstk you are welcome

after 5 years of dust or removing in LR , scratches,banding etc... , I go back to film  :)

...  not discouraged you except for me

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-726

Still have my M8 and M9

Color and b&w film better , more faithful and without correction

Rg

H.

Edited by Doc Henry

Hah! Is there a 'remove sensor dust' option in Lightroom? I was happy with the photo, til I saw the dust.

Yes - there is. It is called spot removal, You'll find it in the develop module under "tools", For these few spots I would not be in  real hurry to clean the sensor.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'm usually very careful. Try not to change lenses in dusty or windy conditions, keep the camera with lens mount facing down, etc.

Ernst

You can be as careful as you like but you will get some form of contamination on your sensor even if you never change lenses. Accept it and learn how to clean it properly, it isn't difficult and there are endless threads on the subject on this forum as well as tutorials on Youtube.

Edited by honcho
  • Like 2

Ernstk you are welcome

after 5 years of dust or removing in LR , scratches,banding etc... , I go back to film  :)

...  not discouraged you except for me

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/205842-i-like-filmopen-thread/page-726

Still have my M8 and M9

Color and b&w film better , more faithful and without correction

Rg

H.

I use film and digital sensors too.  Once you've got your negative you need either to scan it or enlarge it.  However careful people are, both those processes are vulnerable to dust.  Just as with digital, a little extra work solves the problem.

• Like 1

Thank you Jaap. New LR technique learned today...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I use film and digital sensors too.  Once you've got your negative you need either to scan it or enlarge it.  However careful people are, both those processes are vulnerable to dust.  Just as with digital, a little extra work solves the problem.

I do not like "sharp" lines and edges by "smoothing"  of digital images , not natural

I develop myself color as b&w and i print with my enlarger , no ink jet

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

That's sensor dust - when you are in Lightroom's development module, hit "Q" and you can use the spot removal tool. While being in the spot removal tool hit "T" which will display a tool bar at the bottom where you have another nifty tool to display an inverted contrasty mask which can be adjusted with a slider.

This makes finding certain "hidden" dust spots very easy.

You can do your dust spotting in one of your photographs that makes this very easy (a blank wall, shot at f16 or the bright sky) and then copy over the dust spotting information from one photograph to a bulk of photographs.

Easy: select all photographs, you want to apply the dust spotting information in the library grid view (or in any module that shows you the film roll at the bottom of the screen).

Make sure the one photo which does have your dust spotting already applied is the selected photo of the entire bulk.

Now go to the development module (hit "D" on your keyboard) and click the "sync" button in your development tool ribbon on the very bottom right of the screen (it is the left button of the two buttons).

A pop up menu will be displayed where you can select what settings from your selected master photo you wish to sync - you want to select only the dust spotting option, if that is what you want to apply to all selected photographs in the group from your master photograph in focus.

After applying, let Lightroom calculate new 1:1 previews of the group of photos and quickly check them all if any of the dust spots have ill effects (easiest to do in the development module, while pressing activating "Q" and deactivating "Q" as necessary to see the dust spots)

Easy photographs are those of dust in the sky - Lightroom will often simply correct them easily.

More difficult ones are those with irregular structures (hair, grass, etc …) or regular structures with repeating patterns (like a panning shot at very slow shutter speeds or architecture shots) - Lightroom will often not properly realize the patterns and will place a wrong correction which is easily spotted and has to be adjusted manually.

Best practice is to clean the sensor once Lightroom dust spotting becomes to tedious.

BTW - if you run also Adobe Photoshop and work with tiff files, a faster way to dust spot is to use a selection tool (I prefer the free form selection tool), multi select all dust spots in an area and then "shift +F5" and use the "fill content-aware" option to remove dust spots.

This is how I spot my film scans for dust, water spots and scratches and it is both much, much faster than Lightroom's spotting tool and does not slow the computer down as much as a photograph with lots of dust spots in Lightroom (as it is not non-destructive as Lightroom, but will correct the image per pixel immediately).

Happy dust spotting!

PS: if you are on a Mac, download the app "Cheatsheet" - it allows you to see all keyboard shortcuts of the active app by simply holding the command key for a few seconds - makes learning those shortcuts and working in Adobe products so much easier.

• Like 2