Is an original X1 still worth buying?

johntech

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1. kind of very stupid choice for max shutter inside Auto ISO menu. I like to have choice to set it even 1/125, why max 1/30 only? very strange...

Don't you know the "1/f" rule ?

As the X2 is intended to be used as a compact, i.e. by people who have no technical photographic expertise, the software engineers went for the rule that prevents camera shake induced blur. That is, min speed should not be lower than the reciprocal of the focal length.

Why the not providing the option to override this value ? My guess is that Leica wanted to keep the menu as "enjoyable"(as Cohen would say) as possible by avoiding too many options.

To view photos with the lens cap on:

Hold down the play button, while switching on the camera.

As for over exposure on Auto....it isn't a problem for me?

Let me think about it maybe I'm doing something unconsciously.

• Like 1

"And folks, what about overexposure? Any ideas?)"

I just shot a bunch of tests to remind myself how the X2 preformed on Auto everything. I went back and looked at, old files from a trip that I used the X2 as my only camera......My camera does not overexpose. Was every file perfect right out of the camera...no.

Have you checked the + - EV to be sure that your camera is set at 0 ?
Have you reset your camera to the factory settings?  go to: User Profile > Factory Setting

I also want to say ...when I used this camera as my "go to" I loved the quality  of the Jpgs .....I found them quite unique,in color, contrast and sharpness. I also liked shooting B&W with the X2 ...those were surprisingly fabulous...most of the time...Leica has set the B&W jpg to be especially "artsy" IMHO

I have never used the X2 on RAW......for no reason..... I just didn't

Also and I'm sure you know this.....  digital, in a small way, a most disappointing  medium. Every file ...every file can benefit from some amount of "tweaking" in LR or PS

Hope this helps
  • Like 1

acuba777 

Glad your having good luck....now forget about the camera and its quirks and go make some pictures :D

This wonderful forum is here for you with questions...and we look forward to see your results

Thanks, look like you have overcome any exposure issues....nice pix too.

Its a great little camera , easy to carry and its the perfect go to focal length....enjoy

I promise once you get used to it, you will love it, only occasionally getting pissed at the slow focus short comings

And when you don't want to carry a camera ....you'll be happy you have the X2

center weighted works better, than matrix metering?

I haven't used multi field metering enough to make a comparison. I've always used center weighted. Force of habit. From the looks of your photos, I would say to continue whatever you are doing.

Assuming that the AF on the X2 uses contrast detection, 1 point should be more reliable than spot, so I use mostly 1 point. For landscapes, I may zone focus using MF, usually at hyperfocal or even greater distance.

Edited by Trivette

Did your camera come with an instruction manual? In English page 122 is a good read and shows that this camera is very, very versatile.......That said,I don't use my X2  to its fullest. Most of the time I use 11, sometimes I'll use 1.... if the my subject is off to the side.I never lock down focus  and only the first weeks, I experimented with manual and shallow depth f/2.8.....it works just like a real camera;-)

I use 11 because generally when I use the 35mm  focal length the I'm not concerned with shallow depth of field...I want the subject sharp and I'll let the background fall where it does....Or I'll want everything tack sharp. In which case I make the necessary changes.

I also have an EVF but I don't ever use it, its slows things down and the LCD is more than good enough to make a photo. And for me a glarey screen is never a problem

I am especially careful to hold the X2 steady. Being small a camera you tend to shoot too work too fast. And often shooting in Auto you tend to forget to check shutter speed....so be careful.

This camera will do anything you want it to do within the limitations of the focal length lens.
  • Like 1

I sometimes have an urge to get a modern 35mm M lens, such as the Zeiss Biogon, to supplement my Summarons, but then I think of the X2 and how it does everything I want a 35mm to do. The X2 is perfect for zone focus using the DoF indicator, but I seldom actually manually focus: For florals and other still life I prefer a longer lens anyhow.