Is an original X1 still worth buying?

johntech

• 2 weeks later...

Slow autofocus may not necessarily be a problem. Use the X1 in manual focus and exposure: stop it down a bit, and zone focus. The idea of manual being faster than auto may seem ludicrous, but it works in situations where exposure and focus do not change significantly from one shot to another.

And that is often how I use it. The X1 has an incredibly hand DOF indicator in Manual Focus mode. However, even in this mode it can be slow to fire.

• Like 1

And that is often how I use it. The X1 has an incredibly hand DOF indicator in Manual Focus mode. However, even in this mode it can be slow to fire.

The X2 also has some shutter lag. It can be annoying. I like the instantaneous shutter of manual film cameras.

hi! also thinking of getting this camera, but only afraid of slow af issue. Does firmware upgrade make a big difference in af speed? how about difference in low light? other thing is very small display resolution, if its good enough to reognise quality of taken images?

hi! also thinking of getting this camera, but only afraid of slow af issue. Does firmware upgrade make a big difference in af speed? how about difference in low light? other thing is very small display resolution, if its good enough to reognise quality of taken images?

Forgive my rambling thoughts

I have an X2 ,there were never any firmware updates ....so no..... the camera is slow to focus, unless you "fool" it with traditional photo techniques..... stopping down,zone focusing and generally being ready to shoot.

As for the LCD...don't worry about  low res, the actual IQ of the camera is amazing....really amazing.

And the LCD is more than good enough to frame, compose and view

This camera is so much fun to use and carry !!!

to recap

I bought it new.... was it worth it....no......not  at 2K

but used its around $700 ? Is it a good value...still no, as with all digital cameras it will not hold its value.....don't get it for that.

....$700 will buy you a camera that does so much more....buy it because it does less a lot less.....and beautifully

I have had so much fun and made great photos with my X2... and I love it ! .....even after 3 years

If I saw it and had a spare 700 bucks  I'd buy it for so many reasons.  Most fun, best IQ of any pocket camera I've ever used.

Its not an everything camera... fixed focal length, 35mm which happens to be my favorite focal length ...and I don't think I'm alone, that's why Leica picked it.

......fits in a jacket pocket

Not the best kids, sports camera not the best indoor people, event camera.......outside  people, event camera... sure.....slow to focus is no big deal, you figure out how to fool it.

....Its a great travel camera! and carry everywhere camera.

Did I mention the menu layout is a joy? ...I'd get it for the menus (or lack of them) and IQ alone

As I said in a previous post..... this darn camera gave me serious Leica GAS....bad!

What else you want to know?

Edited by ECohen

Forgive my rambling thoughts

I have an X2 ,there were never any firmware updates ....so no..... the camera is slow to focus

What else you want to know?

Thank you for explanation! One more thing... Are there are any AF improvements with X2 model or it same AF system (same speed)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I believe it is the same system, very small improvements were made X1 to X2. I know they were not drastic improvements.... but I only know this from scouring this forum once I bought the X2. I believe I read on this forum that some X2 folks were disappointed that the "new" X2 wasn't much improved.......It is a shame AF isnt better because other wise this is a perfect camera.

I don't think this is a good street photo camera because of focus... unless you stop down and zone focus....but for general use its great.

Could you try it to see it is for you before you buy.?.....you'll know right away.

acuba777 I see you have only made 2 posts ...If this is your first Leica......it a great great camera but its no M.
If you buy this all it will do is make you want and M that much more :)
Edited by ECohen

See improvement's X1 to X2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_X1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leica_X2

The Leica X2 is a digital large sensor compact camera announced by Leica Camera on May 10, 2012. It is the successor of the Leica X1, and improves on the earlier model with a higher resolution sensor, improved autofocus and an optionally available electronic viewfinder for easier use in bright light.[1]

Well, need to try both and see difference... Another thing is that I read more and more about very bad construction if battery fixing system, that something breaks there all time and Leica service should be very expensive in Russia

Curious...Why is it that you want and X ? For that kind of money you have so many great choices. What else have you considered .......What will you primarily be shooting with this camera choice?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions .....I was just wondering.

My primary 2 cameras are Sony A7II and A7RII. I had also one additional small camera Nex-5, which I sold and want a small and light camera for street and take always with me. Regarding image quality and 3d pop, I like images from this X1/X2 very much, but only curious about AF speed

I see ....IMHO check out the X2

as for street photography, as long as you don't mind treating it like a manual camera and zone focusing, the IQ is wonderful

If we lived closer I'd lend you mine for a few weeks.

Good Luck

Edited by ECohen

I have not used the X1 but I believe nether is  good  with people moving  about.....  inside or out.
Its slow to lock on to your subject. Nothing like a DSLR or the Leica Dlux 6/Panasonic LX100......as I'm sure your Sony is lightening fast too
If street photography and candid people is you main reason for getting this camera I think it will be very a frustrating choice.
......unless you set it manually and "work around" to poor AF using Zone focusing

Actually the X2 is very good in low light even at ISO1600 ......3200 gets a little grainy and contrasty

Here's a gallery of photos I shot with the X2 on a trip in 2013
http://www.evancohen.net/france2013/
In my opinion these are the kind of shots the X2 is good for
....candids of people were very hit or miss...mostly miss.....the two here were zone focused

Hope this helps
Edited by ECohen

Very few of us own or can own a camera/lens kit for every eventuality, obviously one must understand your own photographic equipment and use it accordingly.. IMHO - I agree the X1 has a few limitations, I cannot remember any "lost" shots, maybe a few exposure "oops" -

For myself the X1 AF has never been a drawback.. As I say IMHO.. The X1 is a great tool, I have never had any regrets having paid the initial retail price, $3000 images from a very cost effective Leica.. L

so after day#1 being X2 user my 50 cent.

1. kind of very stupid choice for max shutter inside Auto ISO menu. I like to have choice to set it even 1/125, why max 1/30 only? very strange...

2. if I just want to check some images or walk through menu, why the heck I need to remove cap and lens has to open???

3. once gain:  no lens/camera profile in Lightroom CC, which has even iPhone profile...

4. camera tends to overexpose in Aperture priority mode, have not tried any other exposure modes yet

lets check test day#2...)))

Edited by acuba777

...but isn't the X's menu a joy compared to the layers and layers of the Sony?
Mentally its so much "lighter" than Japanese cameras..... freeing  you up to just enjoy the process

So no complaints about the auto focus?........Which is the cameras main bug....and took some getting used to.