MP - Early or Late. Any difference?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Many of you helped me on a recent post when I was considering moving from my meterless M3 to an M with a meter.  I have tried to follow advice and stick with M3 for a while, but I know I am still feeling cramped (I like to change aperture regulalrly, so there is no 'measure once' effect for me).

Having toyed with an M7 or MP for a few months, I've decided to go for a used MP.  My first question, is there an early/late issue with the MP (in the same way that I read the viewfinder in early M7 is not so good as the later ones)?  Also welcome any other 'check for this' tips when I'm looking at possible purchase.

with thanks, 

As I recall, some very early MP's had a potential for dust in the viewfinder but this was addressed by improved sealing.  Some very early MP's were fitted with the M6 style iso dial which, for some bizarre reason, is considered desirable by some.   Avoid obvious deliberate brassing, it means the camera was formerly owned by a clown.  Get an MP and enjoy it!

• Like 5

.... I like to change aperture regulalrly, so there is no 'measure once' effect for me ...

You'd do quite well if you set the speed dial to one step slower whenever you close your aperture by one stop. One doubles the light that reaches the film, the other halves it.

Just in case you didn't remember (which I doubt): for the speed dial, slower means lower numbers. For the aperture, "closing" means higher numbers.

• Like 1

I have an early one (with the M6 ISO dial) and it did have dust in the viewfinder, but the Leica Store in SF cleaned it out for me for free. I can see that dust does still find its way inside but I'll address it in the future. Operationally I can see no issue to speak of, the camera simply does its job. When I bought the camera it did have some wear (read: brassing) but not an extensive amount, I didn't mind at all because I wanted a camera to use, not one to admire. I've added some minor wear of my own in the months I've owned the camera but I expect it to be with me a long time.

• Like 1

When I bought the camera it did have some wear (read: brassing) but not an extensive amount, I didn't mind at all because I wanted a camera to use, not one to admire. I've added some minor wear of my own in the months I've owned the camera but I expect it to be with me a long time.

There is a huge difference between normal wear and deliberate wear which some people think is cool but is, I think, rather sad. But each to their own! 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is a huge difference between normal wear and deliberate wear which some people think is cool but is, I think, rather sad. But each to their own! 

Oh VERY very true. I understood the intention of the post, and the wear on my camera came from use, and not from sandpaper ;)

I liken the fake wear to buying pre-torn jeans. Some people love it. I don't. 

Leica seemed to think it was cool though with that Lenny Kravitz edition.

Edited by Abram
  • Like 1

Early mp have M6 electronics. Latter MP have improved electronics. I remember reading that it was a substantial improvement with the idea that it would last much longer. This is why the doors are not interchangeable.

• Like 1

That's a worrying statement for all M6 users, to discover their camera's won't last long.

Of course the early MP has the tried and tested older ISO dial and doesn't get the dumbed down and crappy 'new' ISO dial that people on LUF have been complaining about only recently. And as with all things Leica an early (or the very last) serial number is going to be more collectible. But back to reliability. Mine is thirteen years old now and other than a very early clean by Leica for dust in the viewfinder (the seal was updated at the time) it hasn't needed touching, no electronic problems, no rangefinder problems, still accurate shutter speeds, no light leaks, etc.

So buy whichever comes along, old or new, there isn't a substantive difference to make a fuss over and have a biased opinion about.

Steve

• Like 2

That's a worrying statement for all M6 users, to discover their camera's won't last long.

Of course the early MP has the tried and tested older ISO dial and doesn't get the dumbed down and crappy 'new' ISO dial that people on LUF have been complaining about only recently. And as with all things Leica an early (or the very last) serial number is going to be more collectible. But back to reliability. Mine is thirteen years old now and other than a very early clean by Leica for dust in the viewfinder (the seal was updated at the time) it hasn't needed touching, no electronic problems, no rangefinder problems, still accurate shutter speeds, no light leaks, etc.

So buy whichever comes along, old or new, there isn't a substantive difference to make a fuss over and have a biased opinion about.

Steve

What's wrong with the new ISO dial? I have never had a problem with it. :unsure:

Well gosh. I guess I'm glad mine's an early one then ;). It's from 2002, first production year as far as I know. 289xxx serial. 

I'll get the viewfinder sealed eventually but after cleaning it hasn't been a problem. 

Only modifications I want to do are mask out the 75/135 framelines and maybe change the skin. Not a huge huge fan of the sharksin but it works  well enough I suppose. 

Any pictures of the different dials?

I have a late 90's M6 classic and an early 29… MP - both have different ISO dials - the one on the M6 classic feels and adjusts great and precise - very easy and precise to dial in a quick 1/3 stop compensation for pushing/ pulling development.

The one on my early MP does not have the spring loaded center lock but needs a firm grip and has a more squishy adjustment to it - much less precise and easy to set those compensations, so I tend to keep it set and compensate in my head.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the early M6 ISO dials; they were simply using up those last parts.

If they worked fine for the M6 for years why should they be different in the early MP's?

The electronics in the MP series were already improved from the M6 at release; there is no change as far as I know.

This might be a question however for the 1st of the early pre-series MP, the so-called MP 6, with serial 2752XXX.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the early M6 ISO dials; they were simply using up those last parts.

If they worked fine for the M6 for years why should they be different in the early MP's?

The electronics in the MP series were already improved from the M6 at release; there is no change as far as I know.

This might be a question however for the 1st of the early pre-series MP, the so-called MP 6, with serial 2752XXX.

The Early MP door is incompatible with later MPs, which clearly suggests different eletronics. I'd benture and say that very early MP had M6 innards while latter ones had its own designed electronics.

When the MP came out, there was quite a buzz about how superior to the M6 is was, in so many ways. There was A LOT of hype about it. The fact that the electronics are better than the M6 electronics doesn't mean that the M6 is bad. It simply means that the MP is better. And since none of my family works at or for Leica, I couldn't care less. I am no fanboy, but merely reporting what I know and what I remember.

Everything is possible, but I don't quite see how a door compatibility per se should suggest different electronics ?

The door itself only contains physical contact transfer points to allow the ISO dial with its variable resistor to connect with the exposure + viewfinder circuitry.

I suspect the door incompatibility mentioned just concerns the change from older to newer ISO dial - which likely required a change in the door contacts....