New Leica M9 owner

TIV

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know if the shutter issue is the same as what was known and discussed regarding discreet mode with continuous. Someone who has the experience with different M9 firmware versions can confirm or set the record straight. Anyway, apparently everything was fine until firmware version 1.176. Then some changes effectively broke this compatibility. Your description is different (you describe single shot), but it may be related as your description basically corresponds to how I would expect the continuous drive issue appear in single shot under certain circumstances. I don't know whether this issue has been fixed. If yes, you should be okay given you have the latest firmware version.

In summary, someone with M9 background should be able to help. I'm just providing some background for you as a new owner while bumping the thread.

Edited by -Lss-
  • Like 1

I don't know if the shutter issue is the same as what was known and discussed regarding discreet mode with continuous. Someone who has the experience with different M9 firmware versions can confirm or set the record straight. Anyway, apparently everything was fine until firmware version 1.176. Then some changes effectively broke this compatibility. Your description is different (you describe single shot), but it may be related as your description basically corresponds to how I would expect the continuous drive issue appear in single shot under certain circumstances. I don't know whether this issue has been fixed. If yes, you should be okay given you have the latest firmware version.

In summary, someone with M9 background should be able to help. I'm just providing some background for you as a new owner while bumping the thread.

Yes, that's exactly right. Leica broke this functionality in firmware after 1.176 and it has been broken since even in the special firmware that comes after you get your sensor replaced to the version that does corrode (1.204). Leica are in denial about it. Many of us just rolled back to 1.176 but unfortunately once you get the sensor repaired you can no longer use the old firmware.

• Like 1

Well I guess that explains it. My M9-P has the new sensor installed so there's no going back to the old firmware for me. I should be happy because that means my sensor is not going to corrode any time soon, but still, it's really not the best thing to have a randomly stalling shutter.

I don't suppose Leica will ever follow up with firmware, considering the M9 is already a 6 year old model?