What is wrong with this roll of Cinestill 50

MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mark this is so very sad and, typically, doesn't it always happen to the neg or the image that you would least rather lose!

Personally having owned (and worked in) a pro lab in Sydney (and other places) for many years I wouldn't be bothered with C41 film processing at home,

there should be no need to, that's what labs are for. An incident such as this is very rare, as I'm sure you know from your own experience.

However....I find it very odd and completely unprofessional that this lab didn't pick the problem up in a quality check of your films (and prints?) before they left the shop

and discuss the very obvious issue with you at that time....that's very, very slack! 

Those bubbles in the sky look a bit like lack of agitation during processing....but the level of general grot, hairs, scratches etc., is just unbelievable. I will be very

interested to see what the lab says....I bet they offer you two free rolls of film and processing of same at no charge, and then tell you that is what their liability is limited to.

• Like 4

Good luck Mark, very disappointing. Out in my favourite area of Sydney too, the headlands from Maroubra right down to La Perouse.

Seeing your shots has made me very nervous about the 6 rolls of Kodak just back from Hillvale I have sat in a box in front of me awaiting scanning.

I'm very keen to try C-41 at home, purely for the convenience and control of having it all 'in-house' but the cost of the kits here (any alternative to Vanbar anyone knows?) seems like it is more than a lab ($5 for 135, $10 for 120 at Hillvale) and Dee's advice above as well, gives me pause for thought.

Sorry for your loss, as others have said, they're still compelling (and unique) shots. We've been treated to a fair few Autumn squalls of late, hopefully some more swing in next you're out at Malabar.

• Like 1

I also developed my own C-41 and I found that the part that was the most painful was keeping the chems at temperature.

I finally tried "room temperature" C-41 (which in my house is about 17c to 19c and it worked just fine. No ill effects.

I've gotten 25 rolls from one Tetenal C41 kit. I keep it tightly closed in black Jobo bottles and top it off with inert gas when not in use; Tetenal Protetan spray.

• Like 1

One thing to think about; if you do your own C-41 processing, then if you want to print, you'll be sending negs out too. When I want prints, I use a place on Ebay that does good work. I generally want prints, that's the end result for me.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One thing to think about; if you do your own C-41 processing, then if you want to print, you'll be sending negs out too. When I want prints, I use a place on Ebay that does good work. I generally want prints, that's the end result for me.

RP , I print in b&w for my color negatives :)

otherwise if need color, by my laboratory Leica Center on Noritsu PLC

Kodak silver paper

Rg

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry

RP , I print in b&w for my color negatives :)

otherwise if need color, by my laboratory Leica Center on Noritsu PLC

Kodak silver paper

Rg

Henry

I tried it..the results were never what I wanted. For me, spending 5.00 a roll to get developing, and printing is well worth it. I don't shoot much color.

Holy SH$T this same thing happened to my Cinestill 50 from Miami!! !@#$

I'm starting the scanning process now and am getting ugly blobs all over the place!

Me thinks that it is an issue with the film and not the lab/development process.  

And the overall rendition of the film is not as good as it was with the batch that I used last year...

• Like 1

Two points from me.

1. I agree with Steve about the bubbles. A sure sign of bad agitation or low level in tank, or both. What style of tank is the lab using for this? Are they treating your film as 'low volume throughput' and using hand process tanks instead of an auto system?

2. Home processing of C41 is every bit as easy as B&W processing. You simply need to initially set up your system for consistency more so that accuracy of temperature. Very easily and cheaply done. You will be aghast when you realize how easy and convenient it is.

Addendum: Re Dee's comments, (with great respect), I too have made processing mistakes, as we all have I reckon, but never as disasterous and damaging as professional labs. I am very experienced with several premier labs in Melbourne, now closed because of the inroads of digital to their business. One in particular I always rated 'the best in Oz', but they maged to stuff rolls enough times to convince me to start my own process. I have never looked back, except in nostalgia for the human contact with the lab staff.

my preliminary assessment is that the batch consistency of the cinestill 50 is not good.

I have seen other samples form this film on this forum that look nothing like what I was able to get with the 6 or so rolls that I took last Feb-March.  And the negs that I am currently scanning look like these samples...

Not happy...

• Like 1

funny...I am now scanning negs from a different roll (same CS 50 film stock) and I am NOT getting the blotches.

Same lab...

Same photographer...

Same scanner...

Different rolls of film...

Ergo...most likely batch inconsistency...

:angry:

• Like 1

Adam, you are correct. My lab also concluded this is a problem with the film emulsion itself. After going through it in detail with them I agree.

Sorry the same thing has happened to you. Very disappointing.

Please post some of you photos here.

I must say that I've lost faith in this film. Hard to justify taking the risk again in the future.

Do you think we should approach the company together? Same problem at the same time at other sides of the world isn't something they can ignore.

Here is one...

Notice the schmootz in the sky...

Let me finished the scanning of all batches and then post more here for compare and contrast purposes and then you can PM me your email address and I will shoot an email to Brandon Wright (of Cinestill), copying you and pasting a link to this thread.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Sounds good Adam. I've already emailed the local Australian supplier with my samples and a link to this thread.

However, this should go directly to head office.

BTW, perfectly positioned subject in that photo!

Edited by MarkP

Despite the investigations of both Adam and Mark, I still think the damage looks very much like frothing of developing during agitation with too little developer. What else can explain the phenomenon appearing only along one edge?

I look forward to a definitive explanation, if one is found.

Despite the investigations of both Adam and Mark, I still think the damage looks very much like frothing of developing during agitation with too little developer. What else can explain the phenomenon appearing only along one edge?

I look forward to a definitive explanation, if one is found.

I agree with Erl ,  irregular spots slightly brownish in the clouds sometimes round (picture 1) and sometimes straight (picture 2) not come from the film but a poor wash or poor fixation may be insufficient or too old fixer , and even poor dryingfor the difference in color I suspect a bad temperature revelation or a too old developer !

Furthermore it is recommended that the revelation and fixation must be at the same temperature : possible rupture of the temperature chain (in the bath)  during a given period

Experience of someone who has two years of practice. Anyway scratchesin the first photo is not from the film, sorry to go against the laboratory !

Best regards

Henry

* I had a lot of scratches on my films sometimes on pictures I like  when I'm develop in the laboratory of my city

Edited by Doc Henry

So I posted this into Darkroom sub-forum last night but only got one reply (also uncertain as to what is going on) so I've also posted it here.

I got this back from my usual lab who have always done an excellent job for me in the past, well that was until they developed these two rolls of Cinestill 50 for me.  The two rolls are similarly affected.  Apart from the scratches, and lumps of crap which don't come off the negs easily, there is bizarre rounded brown outlined 'staining' readily visible throughout the skies.  There are no staining marks matching these on the surface of the negatives so they are within the emulsion.  These are reminiscent of abdominal X-rays of the colon....

Needless to say I am not impressed   :angry:

The company will get an ear full over the filthy negatives but do the 'blobs' reflect a developing fault or could there have been something wrong with the film batch?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Excuse the lower res file but I'm currently limited to 500KB files as there's a problem with the payments for my Forum subscription.

attachicon.gif033406.jpg

Irregular points a little yellowish are coming from developers residue (which prove my suspicion of an old and worn developer or which was used extensively) that stick on the gelatin and inhibit the revelation of the first step.

H.

Edited by Doc Henry

funny...I am now scanning negs from a different roll (same CS 50 film stock) and I am NOT getting the blotches.

Same lab...

Same photographer...

Same scanner...

Different rolls of film...

Ergo...most likely batch inconsistency...

:angry:

If the rolls were hand processed at the same time frothing is still a definite possibility, one roll has to be at the top of the pile, the rest will be fully under the developer and applies to both yours and Mark's films. It may be that Cinestill is prone to holding onto the froth by surface tension because of the type of emulsion or some aspect of removing the remjet layer, but it still doesn't mean it is a bad batch.

• Like 3