Gave up on Leica Lightroom 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After a number of tries to load the free version of Adobe Lightroom which is included with a camera purchase , I gave up.

No matter what I tried , the download would be with Creative Cloud , which is a monthly subscription service , not expensive

but very annoying . Adobe is also very invasive, they immediately plant all kinds of files one one"s computer that took me a while to remove with a dedicated program removal app.

I was using Capture One 9 which for my taste has a better raw converter and to my eyes shows images more detailed and brilliant, so I'll continue with Capture One.

So the "freebee" from Leica is not really a " freebee" , I also understand that If one doesn't have an internet connection,

one can't access the program.

No biggie for me as I really like Capture One.

The Leica Q is a delightful camera which it seems to give everyone a great deal of pleasure (and nice images too:-)

You should be able to download LR6 without without LR CC. I wish I had the trial link to show you how because there's a small trick to it. It's not obvious and you're right to get lost during the download process, it happened to me and then I figured it out but now I can't remember how. 

Capture 1 is fantastic, having you don't need LR. C1 is the best I think, i'll buy it soon.

• Like 1

After a number of tries to load the free version of Adobe Lightroom which is included with a camera purchase , I gave up.

No matter what I tried , the download would be with Creative Cloud , which is a monthly subscription service , not expensive

but very annoying . Adobe is also very invasive, they immediately plant all kinds of files one one"s computer that took me a while to remove with a dedicated program removal app.

I was using Capture One 9 which for my taste has a better raw converter and to my eyes shows images more detailed and brilliant, so I'll continue with Capture One.

So the "freebee" from Leica is not really a " freebee" , I also understand that If one doesn't have an internet connection,

one can't access the program.

No biggie for me as I really like Capture One.

The Leica Q is a delightful camera which it seems to give everyone a great deal of pleasure (and nice images too:-)

The licence that is provided with your purchase of a qualifying Leica camera is for the standalone perpetual licence version of Lightroom. It is not for the LR CC version part of Adobe subscription system (bundled with Photoshop CC at least).

So I think this may be related to some complexity or confusion caused by Adobe's interface????? in how to obtain the perpetual licence and not the subscription version? I think that there may be other threads discussing whatever issues there are there?

The version that you should be able to obtain via the Leica licensing system is whichever perpetual licence version is current, when you apply. As with a retail purchase boxed version or via Adobe shop on-line purchase that version includes free POINT upgrades, in this case for the life of LR6.

You do not ever need to be connected to the web to use any perpetual licence standalone version that you have installed, unless you want the free point upgrades.

The subscription licence version (CC), in fact it only needs a periodic 'phone home' to ensure that your subscription is current. You do not need to be always connected to the web to use it, unless you want to synchronise or use Lightroom Mobile for example. Those are optional extension of its functions.

I am not sure which part of the Adobe installation that you consider invasive though?

It kind of amazes me that many people are so happy about the idea of becoming dependent upon the foibles of a company like Adobe to begin with.

Don't be surprised when everyone is hooked on their CC system and they jack the prices up for the highest possible profit per month.

Photoshop's last stand alone iteration is as far as I I will go, and Capture One Pro 9 is excellent value for money.

Not only that; it is standalone and will be continuously be upgraded, as opposed to LR standalone which will be outdated in the next years with no support.

Why invest time in a standalone, dying system destined for the trashheap?

It's high time there was more diversity in the field of photographic digital post production  !

• Like 1

You have a choice between (1) excellent industry standard software that is produced by a behemoth, and is therefore likely to be around a long time - with the downside that you might dislike its commercial practices, and (2) software that is excellent in many respects, and is produced by a small, friendly, responsive company that lacks the resources to provide full development and support - and may not be around in a few years time.

Think Nik.

• Like 1

Success , I finally have a Lightroom 6 version , don't know how or where I went wrong the first time around , compared some images in LR6 and C1

and see little difference, probably the nod to C1.

It all depends what one is comfortable working with.

• Like 2

with Leica you get 3 months free CC then if you want to continue w/CC you can

as I am experiencing it the CC subscription allows for syncing between devices.  You can (and I am using) use LR as a stand alone w/o the CC sync

the LR component does not need internet..

Edited by prk60091

(...)

I am not sure which part of the Adobe installation that you consider invasive though?

I agree the LR once installed seems not time-limited, but on MacOs the thing is terribly intrusive, connecting systematically to some license-checking server then to half a dozen others (with the mac one can easily track this). I have been told this was because I improperly installed it 'via CC' -well this isn't.

I too belong to those having abandoned what once was Photoshop because of this.

To me it sounds that LR is just a tool to drag me towards renting Adobe's cloud hosting, which is, well, something I just don't need...

I found myself in a very reasonable process with GraphicConverter, RawTherapee, and Darktable...

Edited by Herve5

There is another thread on this subject which I explained my highly frustrating experience that ended well. I now enjoy the perpetual version with no Internet connection necessary. On top of this Nik Software bundle that includes the excellent Silver Efex Pro 2 and others absolutely free. Thorsten Overgaard has an excellent work flow detailed on his site which I now use and the whole process is simple and logical.

I agree the LR once installed seems not time-limited, but on MacOs the thing is terribly intrusive, connecting systematically to some license-checking server then to half a dozen others (with the mac one can easily track this). I have been told this was because I improperly installed it 'via CC' -well this isn't.

I too belong to those having abandoned what once was Photoshop because of this.

To me it sounds that LR is just a tool to drag me towards renting Adobe's cloud hosting, which is, well, something I just don't need...

I found myself in a very reasonable process with GraphicConverter, RawTherapee, and Darktable...

I totally agree, not only to suck you in to a monthly payable service (soon to be increased) but the risk of your personal information being compromised on any of those cloud services by hackers.

If one has to ask which files are intrusive , that person probably has no idea of the unauthorized files on his computer and believe me these files are not there for your benefit.

LeicaQ, I'm not 'one' but yes I am computer literate. I thought that you might like to add that detail to the conversation for others to read as well.

There is some polarised opinion and attitude regarding subscription software, the Cloud  or even internet connectivity for that matter. I'm not intending to enter into any debate. I don't work for Adobe either but I'm happy to continue with my subscription. I'm not "sucked in" I have free choice to stop my subscription if I wish. My files are still my files and there are some 70,000 + images in my catalog currently. Although I have multiple perpetual licences for the standalone versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop Creative Suite and earlier, I use the CC versions on my PC and Mac.

My response was just intended to clarify some detail on Lightroom licensing and functionality. I note from your later post that you have resolved that issue regarding the differing versions though. I haven't used Capture one for some time but I know that many photographers are happy with it or prefer it. As you said some of that is what each of us is comfortable with. 

prk60091

"with Leica you get 3 months free CC then if you want to continue w/CC you can as I am experiencing it the CC subscription allows for syncing between devices.  You can (and I am using) use LR as a stand alone w/o the CC sync the LR component does not need internet.."

That's interesting. I wasn't aware that the included offer from Leica Camera had changed. I am not actually using my perpetual licences provided with purchases of cameras.

If you are using the LR CC version (you have it bundled with PS CC?) it does periodically 'phone home' to ensure subscription validity. You wouldn't necessarily notice of course but if your computer was not on-line for some period (rare for most people!) you may be shown that you have a 30 day trial version until you sign into your Adobe account again. As you noted too you don't need to be always connected to actually use it. Sync is an optional function of course.

LeicaQ, I'm not 'one' but yes I am computer literate. I thought that you might like to add that detail to the conversation for others to read as well.

There is some polarised opinion and attitude regarding subscription software, the Cloud  or even internet connectivity for that matter. I'm not intending to enter into any debate. I don't work for Adobe either but I'm happy to continue with my subscription. I'm not "sucked in" I have free choice to stop my subscription if I wish. My files are still my files and there are some 70,000 + images in my catalog currently. Although I have multiple perpetual licences for the standalone versions of both Lightroom and Photoshop Creative Suite and earlier, I use the CC versions on my PC and Mac.

My response was just intended to clarify some detail on Lightroom licensing and functionality. I note from your later post that you have resolved that issue regarding the differing versions though. I haven't used Capture one for some time but I know that many photographers are happy with it or prefer it. As you said some of that is what each of us is comfortable with. 

prk60091

"with Leica you get 3 months free CC then if you want to continue w/CC you can as I am experiencing it the CC subscription allows for syncing between devices.  You can (and I am using) use LR as a stand alone w/o the CC sync the LR component does not need internet.."

That's interesting. I wasn't aware that the included offer from Leica Camera had changed. I am not actually using my perpetual licences provided with purchases of cameras.

If you are using the LR CC version (you have it bundled with PS CC?) it does periodically 'phone home' to ensure subscription validity. You wouldn't necessarily notice of course but if your computer was not on-line for some period (rare for most people!) you may be shown that you have a 30 day trial version until you sign into your Adobe account again. As you noted too you don't need to be always connected to actually use it. Sync is an optional function of course.

i have "little snitch" running on my mbp and it does tell me when CC wants to phone home to the mother ship... i have "denied" permission and as of now my LR works aok.   I am not defending LR/CC/Adobe-- just letting folks know that LR works w/o the CC  component.  I do not care for LR on my mbp. I have not gotten around to trying any of the alternatives (just lazy I guess).

• Like 1

i have "little snitch" running on my mbp and it does tell me when CC wants to phone home to the mother ship... i have "denied" permission and as of now my LR works aok.   I am not defending LR/CC/Adobe-- just letting folks know that LR works w/o the CC  component.  I do not care for LR on my mbp. I have not gotten around to trying any of the alternatives (just lazy I guess).

Yes, I saw on MacOS Little Snitch is a workable solution indeed.

Still, that one has to resort to this complication is a concern for me...

I totally agree, not only to suck you in to a monthly payable service (soon to be increased) but the risk of your personal information being compromised on any of those cloud services by hackers.

If one has to ask which files are intrusive , that person probably has no idea of the unauthorized files on his computer and believe me these files are not there for your benefit.

I am computer literate, worked in the industry for many years, and cannot figure out what files you might be referring to.  What files are you referencing?

If you feel that way, you probably shouldn't be on the Internet visiting this Forum at all. At the moment I see that Ghostery is blocking four unauthorized tracking sites, quite apart from the cookies used by this forum and the communication between the browser and the server and Bill knows what else...

It kind of amazes me that many people are so happy about the idea of becoming dependent upon the foibles of a company like Adobe to begin with.

Don't be surprised when everyone is hooked on their CC system and they jack the prices up for the highest possible profit per month.

Photoshop's last stand alone iteration is as far as I I will go, and Capture One Pro 9 is excellent value for money.

Not only that; it is standalone and will be continuously be upgraded, as opposed to LR standalone which will be outdated in the next years with no support.

Why invest time in a standalone, dying system destined for the trashheap?

It's high time there was more diversity in the field of photographic digital post production  !

It seems a trend for most software to go from buying a licence to abo/monthly fees.

C1 also charges for larger updates, so in both cases you pay money and in both cases you get hooked on a software as soon as you are used to it.

At least Adobe is independent from hardware compared to Capture One, who close their software for those products that they see as competitive hardware (Leica S for example). This is one of the reasons why I have switched to LR even though C1 is still installed on my computer.