Yet annother what to buy.

HenrikP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

I stand in the situation that my Q, as I've become addicted to, is going on a holiday trip to Wetzlar. In the time it can take Leica to solve the problem. So I'm considering whether I should buy a second-hand M. But now the big problem starts, should I buy a used M9P(mint condition) or new M-E. They cost pretty much the same. A used M koster 1/4 more, so!. But what does all you experts say? Ps. Don't tell my wife.. ;)

Regards Henrik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hello Henrik

I certainly wouldn't class myself as an expert - certainly in advising you on what to purchase..not sure anyone else will be too: it's such a personal matter. For what it's worth, when I came to buy a digital M I used the same logic as buying a car. Buy new and you know no one else has abused it..and you get a long warranty. It will depreciate worse than a good used buy. Buy used and you don't know what sort of a 'life' it has had..but you get a higher specification product. It will lose less money less quickly (especially, and this is subjective, if you choose the 'right' specification). I was happy with a used body..mint (so - hopefully - not abused) and from an official Leica dealer so with warranty. I had no interest in the extra features of the M over the M9 - so got an M9-P in chrome. Suits me - maybe not you! I'm sure that whatever way you decide to go you will not be disappointed!

good luck!

How about $1200 for a clean M8 + $800 for a clean 28/2.8 vers3? Very little depreciation potential, and much less to explain to the spouse.

Or ask for a loaner while the Q is in the shop.

Eric

I would prefer the M9P because of the sapphire glass and I wouldn't want to miss the lever for previsualizing what lens I want to use, in fact an essential thing of a rangefinder and one of the advantages above other systems

Edited by otto.f
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer the M9P because of the sapphire glass and I wouldn't want to miss the lever for previsualizing what lens I want to use, in fact an essential thing of a rangefinder and one of the advantages above other systems

With 25k actuations on my M9-P no scratches on the glass, my old M8 12k actuations had quite a few