M-P rear screen toughness?

Ernstk

The sapphire screen on my M8.2 is scratch-less after 7 years; the screen on my M240 scratch-less after two.  Neither camera babied.   Non-issue for me...but it wouldn't cause me to lose sleep even with a tiny scratch or two.

I don't like protectors any more than a car 'bra', possibly doing more harm than good, practically and aesthetically.  Let the chips fall (so to speak) where they may.

Jeff

• Like 1

When I had an M240, I tried to use a screen protector.  It was forever being peeled back at the corners from inserting the camera into a camera bag.  I finally gave up and went protector-less.  Being OCD about my M cameras and lenses, I was always careful with it from that point forward.  I still ended up with a couple of hairline scratches, although they were not visible unless the light reflected off the screen just right.

When I traded the M240 in on the M-P Safari, I was glad to get the sapphire rear screen.  I have never used a screen protector and the screen is still in mint condition, even though I do actually use my M-P. 

Moral of the story:  Use your camera as it was intended to be used; just exercise reasonable care and the rear screen will be fine.

JMHO, but I see no glory in battering and scratching a perfectly good M camera.  Scratches are inevitable if you use your camera, but being intentionally careless with an M camera to "get a good patina on it" so it will make you look like a "professional" shooter is nonsense in my view. 

Edited by Carlos Danger

I wonder about "scratch free" reports.  No micro-scratches at all?  When they are examined under reflected light?

The M8's have a soft screen and definitely need a protector...have found GGS screens the best (haven't tried the Acmaxx).

I had a Giotto protector shatter with the tiniest bump against another camera. The Giottos have a wide black matt inside the protector (and white writing on three places on the screen). This means some of the LCD display is covered.

When I purchased an M8 which was sold as "no scratches" there were in fact a myriad of micro scratches over the screen.

Car "bra's" do more damage than they offer protection.

My M8.2 has the sapphire rear screen. Since 2008, 100,000+ shutter actuations and I cannot remember it in a bag. Always "on" me. Screen is fine. I wouldn't bother. The reason for the sapphire screen and protection it offers is that you don't have to worry about it. Best of luck.

Just to remind everybody what a Gorilla Glass screen looks like after impact... :(

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Still works too. Apart from dusty sensor...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I've used Giottos protectors for all my M cameras (M9, Monochrome v1 and M240) . Have only needed to replace two over the years.  

I like them because if anything they improve visibility/contrast and because they're treasonably easy fit and remove once you get the hang of it.

When I removed the protector from my M9 for sale the screen looked like new.