M-P rear screen toughness?

Ernstk

If I am correct, it is a sapphire screen. That means it is very hard to scratch it, but it can be done. It is tough, but not 100% impact-proof. If you need or want a screen protector depends on your usage. I wouldn't, but then I do not mind a minor scratch or two

• Like 1

Glad this topic has been posted...I predict you will get 50% saying protect it an 50% saying don't. I'm in the same place as you I don't want scratches but I don't want to stick something on my camera.

I'll start this off.... I carry my 240 almost every day. I'm careful not to bang it into things...and I'm concerned  of it rubbing  on to my coats zipper .
 2 years no scratches....the consciences I've seen is that it's pretty tough.

But I do wish someone would just tell me to use one so I can stop worrying, if I'm going to scratch it.

And which is the best screen protector?
I've been looking at this......but being on the fence I've done nothing.

My answer doesn't help ...does it?    :)

--

Edited by ECohen

Glad this topic has been posted...I predict you will get 50% saying protect it an 50% saying don't. I'm in the same place as you I don't want scratches but I don't want to stick something on my camera.

I'll start this off.... I carry my 240 almost every day. I'm careful not to bang it into things...and I'm concerned  of it rubbing  on to my coats zipper .

2 years no scratches....the consciences I've seen is that it's pretty tough.

But I do wish someone would just tell me to use one so I can stop worrying, if I'm going to scratch it.

Whats the best screen protector?

I've been looking at this......but being on the fence I've done nothing

http://www.sopiyoyo.com/sopiguard-tempered-glass-protector-for-leica-m240/

My answer doesn't help ...does it?    :)

--[/size]

Does your answer help? Sort of 50-50 I guess!

Seriously tho, your screen (If it's an M240) is different from the M-P screen. The M-P is supposed to be tougher, as Jaap says. I had a screen protector on my 240 and when I took it off to trade it in, my screen was like new.

I'm probably leaning towards fitting a protector as it won't do any harm and especially considering the price of a new M-P screen.

Ernst

I'm very much taken by the Acmaxx screen protectors. Not too expensive, better impact resistance than Giotto because they are flexible plastic, no adhesive to damage the coating on the LCD.

I'm very much taken by the Acmaxx screen protectors. Not too expensive, better impact resistance than Giotto because they are flexible plastic, no adhesive to damage the coating on the LCD.

They get very good reviews. The only thing that bothers me is the silver frame around the protector, which won't look good on an all black M-P

I recall when the Nikon D3x was introduced and they made a major advertising issue out of the sapphire screen and how it was no longer necessary to use a screen protector.  As I rather liked the camera I followed the eBay ads in the later years of the camera's production and thought it was interesting how may sellers included the mention of "very minor hairline scratches" or some such in their descriptions.  I can also tell you with some certainty that it's possible to scratch the sapphire crystals on Rolex watches pretty easy.  Perhaps some sapphire or Gorilla Glass or something is better than others, but I remain unconvinced.

I tend towards the view that if it's possible to scratch the screen I'll probably do so :) , therefore I use a screen protector.  I am convinced that pretty much any of them will satisfy my requirements as long as they are not terribly obtrusive.

• Like 2

Yes - but I know of more than one case of an adhesive screen protector damaging the coating on the LCD. I would advise staying away from adhesive protectors. Use either the Giotto/Acmaxx foam edge type or the static cling type

I can also tell you with some certainty that it's possible to scratch the sapphire crystals on Rolex watches pretty easy.  Perhaps some sapphire or Gorilla Glass or something is better than others, but I remain unconvinced.

Interesting.  My Leica is too new to know how it will hold up.   My watch, on the other hand, is worn 24/7 and it is not uncommon for it to get banged around.  No scratches in 19 years of ownership.  At least none that can be seen with corrected vision.  Perhaps I'd notice something if I used a loupe.

I expect my camera to hold up as well.   That said, I also don't mind a minor scratch or three.  I do not use protectors on my M 262 (or my Q).

• Like 1

For comparison.  I had an m-e which I was fairly careful with: it had numerous, serious scratches.

the M-P I have taken less care of over about the same period of time with no scratches whatsoever.

your mileage may vary, never undervalue simple comfort (if you want one, use it, it won't hurt anything). 

• Like 1

Does your answer help? Sort of 50-50 I guess!

Seriously tho, your screen (If it's an M240) is different from the M-P screen. The M-P is supposed to be tougher, as Jaap says. I had a screen protector on my 240 and when I took it off to trade it in, my screen was like new.

I'm probably leaning towards fitting a protector as it won't do any harm and especially considering the price of a new M-P screen.

Ernst

OOPS to amend post #3....I ment to say I own a M-P 240...2 years no scratches.

• Like 2

I have my M-P since about 1 ½ years. I noticed micro scratches from a few month of ownership on. Now there are countless tiny scratches (which I actually only notice when looked at it under bright light), but no sigle serious scratch which would affect the usability of the screen in any way.

I have my M-P since about 1 ½ years. I noticed micro scratches from a few month of ownership on. Now there are countless tiny scratches (which I actually only notice when looked at it under bright light), but no sigle serious scratch which would affect the usability of the screen in any way.

Thanks. My Expert Shield is arriving today from Amazon...

Ernst

I've had my M-P since February 2015. I don't use a protector, have carried it quite a lot, and don't see any damage at all. 

Biggest thing to avoid is letting it bang against a zipper or shirt buttons when carrying it on a strap. I wear mine bandolier-style on a long strap so it doesn't get dinged. 

• Like 1