Naughty girl model shoot with M6 & Hasselblad 503CW

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What a day, what a frigging day.

It all started off great, got up at 3am and scanned 2 rolls off film from my previous days photo shoot at a local wet market. Went back to bed and grabbed a few more hours sleep. As planned Yuuki met me and my wife at Starbucks at 8am for the start of the shoot. When we first met Yuuki, she looked like this little school kid still dressed in her pyjamas. Anyway off we pop to our first location and while I am getting everything set up Yuuki is also getting ready in her car. Anyways out she come's and we start to do the shoot.

I'm using my Leica S as a backup to the Hasselblad 503CW and on reflection I completely screwed up with that assumption and camera settings as I shot most of the Leica S shots at ISO400 (same as my film speed, when I already know the Leica S-006 in natural light is not great at anything over ISO200). My thinking behind the ISO400 settings was so that I could compare apples with apples as most of my film speed was ISO400 (Jaapv, had asked me to do a comparison)....Jaapv's fault...........

Anyway the whole days photo shoot was great fun, Yuuki was fantastic to work with, and as you will see later she came out of that first impression school kid look into this naughty girl look that I had asked her act out (that had me walking around with a bonner most of the day).

After the shoot and after I got home thats when it all went frigging pear shaped. I wanted to develop the 8 rolls of film so frigging badly that I didn't even sit down, have a cup of tea, relax for a wee while. No I just dump the camera bag on the floor and get the changing bag out, load everything into the changing bag along with one roll of film and start the loading of the film onto the reel.

Well I had read or watched somewhere that it is better to remove all the backing paper first before putting the film on the reel (Bad F%$%^Ng move). You see my hands were all sweaty and I had not taken the time to make sure that everything in the bag was dry, so while fumbling around in the bag trying to get the film on the reel, I can feel the film starting to get sticky, so panic kicked in and I guess my hands started to sweat even more and it was getting into a right mess.

My wife asked me if I was okay, and I'm like "do I look f%$%$Ng okay with my frigging arms in this stupid black bag and away to completely loose it. the next 30 minutes was hell. I would get the tail of the film started, but it wouldn't reel on as it was sticking together. Well I ended up spitting the dummy, trashing the film and going completely frigging ballistic.

I called my mate from the printing class and asked him if I could pop over and process the rest of my film in his darkroom. He said I could so I jumped into my car and drove over to his place. The first roll of film took less than a minute to get onto the reel and into the tank.........processed it and got it hung up into the drying tank. The next roll also took less than a minute from start to putting it into the processing tank. I developed that but when I put it in the drying tank it looked completely different to my previous film so I asked Paul why was one neg really orange looking when the other one looked just like normal film negs.............The orange looking film was the one and only roll of film that I had shot using Portra 400 (color film).

What a f%$%$^G plonker, I managed to screw up 2 out of the first 3 rolls of film. I left Paul's gaff and went home........completely pissed off

On Tuesday I am going to convert  one of my small rooms in my house to my own darkroom and do all my own shit in there without having to bother other folks.

The one and only neg that I have developed is still at my mates house and I will pick that up on Tuesday, so you will have to wait until Tuesday before I can post any film shots in the mean time here is one of Yuuki shot with the S

To be continued......... 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

It's a great shot Neil, you can see the quality oozing.

Piss poor economics though, one roll from three at this stage. Make sure we get to see some of the other rolls.

Slow down, relax, or send it out and get it done, but right now the only thing rising (apart from the boner) is your stress levels. It's supposed to be fun, and while messing a few up is par for the course, your bull in a china shop method is costing you. Nothing new here, you already know this anyway.

As an aside, and now I have chastised you LOL, what do you think of film, you are liking it or not?

Gary

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

It's a great shot Neil, you can see the quality oozing.

Piss poor economics though, one roll from three at this stage. Make sure we get to see some of the other rolls.

Slow down, relax, or send it out and get it done, but right now the only thing rising (apart from the boner) is your stress levels. It's supposed to be fun, and while messing a few up is par for the course, your bull in a china shop method is costing you. Nothing new here, you already know this anyway.

As an aside, and now I have chastised you LOL, what do you think of film, you are liking it or not?

Gary

Loving it mate, that is why my own darkroom is the way to go. I can easily make this nice compact room big enough to develop and print up to say a 24" x 24"

Just need some paint, pluming in a sink and a couple to bench tops and bobs your uncle shoot, and wet print my own shit.

Heading out today to a place called Melaka for a night in a old colonial hotel and will shoot that place as well.......film of course :) :) 

Sounds great Neil, glad it is working out.

I have worked in many a darkroom, professionally, and also had a couple of my own at home. It's a good idea, if you have the time, the space, and the money.

There will be plenty of advice on the internet (as always), so read a bit first before smacking walls up or down..

Ventilation would be THE biggest thing to consider, so don't skimp on that.

Gary

Edited by gbealnz

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Another one

• Like 5

What a day, what a frigging day.

Neil, I know the loss of some of your film must make you "Mad as a cut snake", but I actually laughed even harder the second time I read this post. I think you need to have one of your mate's film you for a reality TV show. 

Some ideas for a title maybe:

1. I can't get this film on my teeth.

2. Diary of a Pressure Plate.

3. Oily film.

4. Exposing my self.

5. Unloading Daylight.

6. Neil’s Sprocket Holes.

7. Tri-x on Tap.

8. Push me two stops.

9. Taking a stop bath

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Like Mark said I plan to take my Leica S with me to check exposure and as a back up incase I haven't loaded the film correctly...........ive don that a few times :)

There's nothing cowardly about bringing backup to a shoot, or a show if you're a musician, or whatever.  Professionals in any discipline that involves gear do it when it's practcal and possible, and consider it to be, well, professional.

As far as loading the film correctly, you didn't specify which camera.  But if you've had the film not go through the M, here's a little trick.  When you load it, gently wind back the rewind mechanism until it takes up any slack inside the cassette and feels tight.  Then when you advance the film, you should see it turn as the film advances.  Then you know it's loaded properly and can breathe easier.  But when you're first doing it, watch and make sure it's on the takeup spool, because if it isn't you could wind the end of the film back into the cassette and not be able to use the roll of film.  Actually there's a trick or two to get the end back out, but that's not something you want to deal with when there's a naughty girl waiting.

Edited by stevieboy

Neil,

I've shot portrait type shots with my Leica R9, and I'm positive you will end up with just as much image quality, and have a better look, compared to my images "because your style ROCKS!" while using your M6.  All the images on my site http://www.leisuretimephotography.com/ was shot on film, and all the images were shot using the R9. 

The two galleries "Kill Bill's Gogo Inspiration" and "New Car Fever" was all shot on Delta 100.  For the 35mm format, Delta 100 has a low grain, very clean clean look to it.  It may not have as much personality as other B&W films, (as you can see from my other two B&W galleries;) but it is clean, detailed and sharp. 

The gallery "Fun at the Drive-in" was shot using Fuji Provia 100.   There's a couple portrait type shots in there as well.  Please note the quality of those image are not attainable from standard inexpensive scans.  Lots of money was spent getting high quality scans of each of those images from a local pro lab.  And, lots of time was put into color correcting (on a calibrated monitor,) touching up, along with other adjustments.  With transparency film, you have to be very carful to get the exposure pretty much spot on (as you would when shooting digitally.)  By the way, I used a simple on camera flash for those outdoor shots.  I did that to help fill in the shadows, but it was a pain in the ass balancing, and color correcting (taking out) the bluish look that came from that little Leica on camera flash I used.  By the way, it was 115° the day of that particular shoot.   

One final note, the images on my site may be small depending on the resolution of your monitor, (when compared to other, more modern websites.)  That's only because of the limitations of the hosting company's web development structure at the time of the build.  It does not reflect at all, the limitation of size of the original high quality, large scans I received.

I can tell you have a lot of energy, just go with it, and shoot what you like, with whatever you like! 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Nicer one

• Like 1

Neil - I've followed your travails out of interest in someone wanting to try film after having previously only shot digital. I should say that my prejudice is that, for myself, I like the "35mm aesthetic" and am not interested in medium format: your Hasselblad caper reminds me of a lot of those threads in which someone starts shooting 35mm film and a gaggle of people then urge him or her to try MF film tol get much "more detail" or "selective focus", or whatever — all of which could also be done with half-decent digital camera, not even full frame. 

Now, the "naughty girl" — the picture above looks dull to me, not only ain't she naughty but the tonality is dull. If I recall someone said something like this about the tonality earlier in this thread. In other words, I'm going further in saying that this set of picture reek more of perspiration than inspiration. Okay, I realize that's harsh and that you're only trying out things — but in that case why are you "framing" and signing these things? By all means, I think you should continue your effort but, it seems to me, you should try out more tonalities than this one uninspired look. If you go on to darkroom printing, which I understand you intend to, you will indeed have the advantage of being able to see a whole range of possible gradation and contrast and see what is a "good print" for you in your now terms.

In the meantime, why not have a look at the work of ioulex, the duo Julia Koteliansky and Alexander Kerr — two young commercial photographers who met at the Pratt Instiute in Paris. They like to shoot with film and are often original and inventive. When you click on the link, continue to "archives" and look at some of the essay, such as "portraits" and some of the "series." Even their posed work has verve. They can be an inspiration for anyone, whether in film or B&W. It's only one example. BTW, on the Leica blog they rave about loving the Leica M3 and M6.

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Neil - I've followed your travails out of interest in someone wanting to try film after having previously only shot digital. I should say that my prejudice is that, for myself, I like the "35mm aesthetic" and am not interested in medium format: your Hasselblad caper reminds me of a lot of those threads in which someone starts shooting 35mm film and a gaggle of people then urge him or her to try MF film tol get much "more detail" or "selective focus", or whatever — all of which could also be done with half-decent digital camera, not even full frame. 

Now, the "naughty girl" — the picture above looks dull to me, not only ain't she naughty but the tonality is dull. If I recall someone said something like this about the tonality earlier in this thread. In other words, I'm going further in saying that this set of picture reek more of perspiration than inspiration. Okay, I realize that's harsh and that you're only trying out things — but in that case why are you "framing" and signing these things? By all means, I think you should continue your effort but, it seems to me, you should try out more tonalities than this one uninspired look. If you go on to darkroom printing, which I understand you intend to, you will indeed have the advantage of being able to see a whole range of possible gradation and contrast and see what is a "good print" for you in your now terms.

In the meantime, why not have a look at the work of ioulex, the duo Julia Koteliansky and Alexander Kerr — two young commercial photographers who met at the Pratt Instiute in Paris. They like to shoot with film and are often original and inventive. When you click on the link, continue to "archives" and look at some of the essay, such as "portraits" and some of the "series." Even their posed work has verve. They can be an inspiration for anyone, whether in film or B&W. It's only one example. BTW, on the Leica blog they rave about loving the Leica M3 and M6.

Thanks for your feedback mate. I agree that the pictures I posted are not to everyones taste, but looking at the link you sent me, most of the pictures are not even in focus, and defiantly not to my taste. I'm really enjoying shooting with both the M6 and the Hasselblad, and will continue to shoot both.

Yep I did the darkroom printing class and I am in the process of having a darkroom built at my home in Phuket Thailand, where I spend the other have of my time off the rig. 

Borders and signatures, just can't imagine why anyone else would care about them, I mean it was me that took the picture, me that developed the film and me that scanned them, so why not stick a plain border around them and add my signature......I like my borders.

Anyways thanks again for the links and the comments..........I will keep persevering and maybe one day you never know :) :)

Thanks

Neil D Williams

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Yes it is! And I'd sign that one too with pride!

Keep going

Charles

Got 3 rolls of negs hanging up to dry, will scan and post some tomorrow

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's still been less than a month, and I'm sure we know I know how these things go.  There's so much stuff that gets in the way of what I want to do, it's amazing I get anything done.  I'm sure Neil has a idea of the one (or more) he's like to share, it's also a matter of getting it all together, working on it and finally getting it posted.  I assume it's just a matter of time.   

On the subject of photo shoots, I was at the Scottsdale Quarter yesterday and saw a photographer in the process of photographing a model with a shopping bag walking down one of the sidewalks.  The lens was so long, I wanted to go over and ask the photographer if he was able to capture the full length of the model.  Of course I didn't as the guy was in the middle of working.  He probably did, as he was a bit of a distance away.  Of course I have no idea if he was using a zoom or primary lens.  Even so, at the distance he was at; I'm sure he captured what he wanted.

It's interesting, the first thing I thought when I saw what was going on, was "Does he have permission to shoot here?"  Of course he did.  He was so out in the open, if he didn't have permission, security would have been all over him.  He also had a assistant standing next to him. 

The scenario you just described fits into a not uncommon thing I used to do for models. Find a suitable environment, shoot a relatively long lens, the reason being to compress the background and throw the focus, in such a way that the viewer sees the model as the subject, but gets an impression of environment with minimal distraction. Just one technique of many.

I find it interesting when watching another photographer work and trying to previsualized what they see, along with what I think they are getting, and then thinking "how would I do it'?

• Like 1

Hi Neil something in the thread caught my eye and I just read through. Enthusiasm and entertainment abound. I like your image at #65 very much. however I wish that you had left your third paragraph at this: "Anyway the whole days photo shoot was great fun, Yuuki was fantastic to work with" .

I appreciate that you were very likely intending to be lighthearted and entertaining but for me the rest of that para is repeating a very negative stereotype of photographers shooting glamour, art or fashion nude work. Possibly you know that is most of my work these days. 
Working with amateur or professional subjects there, mutual respect and trust are core essentials in my view. A (short) story/explanation to create a mood/theme for a set is a great tool (but not be a schoolgirl, look innocent, look young or show me sexy!).

To be honest and candid, suggesting that the model arouses you is just inappropriate, not to mention the worst thing that anyone might hear for your reputation too. 

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

The scenario you just described fits into a not uncommon thing I used to do for models. Find a suitable environment, shoot a relatively long lens, the reason being to compress the background and throw the focus, in such a way that the viewer sees the model as the subject, but gets an impression of environment with minimal distraction. Just one technique of many.

I find it interesting when watching another photographer work and trying to previsualized what they see, along with what I think they are getting, and then thinking "how would I do it'?

Erl

That's exactly it, I spent hours browsing websites/Google making a forward plan and I guess a vision in my mind of what I wanted to shoot, when shooting film the Hasselblad 180mm lens is an amazingly sharp lens and I find perfect for these kind of shots. the Leica S 120 is my go to lens when shooting digital.