In need of advice (regarding a repair)

Abram

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I finally connected with the right person to light the right fires under the right butts. They had the lens finished today and shipped out today so I should have it back finally next week. This was a 4 month process, over two trips and I've owned the lens for 5 months. I basically had about a month to use it before it needed to go in. I genuinely doubt I will be using Leica directly for any service needs going forward, unless it's absolutely mandatory. I will surely be utilizing fine repairmen like DAG and Youxin as they do right by this community. 

Again, this was never meant to be a Leica bashing thread, and I'm not abandoning ship as a Leica user (too heavily invested now), but it does make me a little sad that we, the users, really don't matter very much to them. Thankfully we have a great community and network of reliable service-folk to take care of us. 

Thank you all for bearing with me and also to those of you that offered helpful suggestions.

Edited by Abram

So I get the lens back today, and the accessory ring is tight, but mounted crooked.

*sigh*

Does this mean a THIRD trip and another month plus of waiting? I'm getting sick of this.

I really need advice here you guys.

Er, if the moderators read everything here would you not think they would step in and help? (eg. get Leica to send you a brand new lens pronto!) Yours is a terrible story. To put it into context (UK that is) I bought a new 28 Summicron a few months ago and found focus was awry, sent it to the renowned Malcolm Taylor in Herefordshire and he perfected focus and did his trick of fixing the front section so it cannot work loose – returned all within one week.

Edited by microview

Er, if the moderators read everything here would you not think they would step in and help? (eg. get Leica to send you a brand new lens pronto!) Yours is a terrible story. To put it into context (UK that is) I bought a new 28 Summicron a few months ago and found focus was awry, sent it to the renowned Malcolm Taylor in Herefordshire and he perfected focus and did his trick of fixing the front section so it cannot work loose – returned all within one week.

Er, the moderators here do not have any influence with Leica.We are simple volunteers drawn from the ranks of members like yourself. I assume you too don't have any influence with Leica.

OTOH, my many years of experience in business has taught me that the most effective way to get a desired outcome is to politely, but firmly, climb the 'authority ladder' directly, until you find where the responsibility lies. That person will always implement the proper outcome for you.

Airing one's problems elsewhere may be interesting and helpful for others, but is only 'noise' with respect to the problem in hand.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yeah I was not looking for a handout or to demonize Leica or do anything other than ask for advice as to what would be a good course of action as I had exhausted my known options and channels. 
When I did finally get through to them it took me being persistent and "reminding" them every day that I wanted my lens back quickly. I did ultimately send it back to them a third time and it was one week turn around. I just received the lens back this morning and from what I can tell it is now finally fixed. That being said, though it feels secure now, time and usage will tell if it was truly fixed or if it will work loose again. 

I am reluctant to use any lens hood on this thing as that seemed to be the culprit in general. I do have the suggested alternative lens hood (for the 35 Summilux Pre-FLE) which works fine for me but I wonder if even that will cause it to work loose?

Other than that from what I can tell in my quick tests was that focus is still accurate and they didn't seem to mess with anything optically (which is good because on that front the lens was great to my eyes).

This was an unnecessarily long ordeal, and I do hope that Leica will improve their customer service, and take steps to ensure they support folks like us, users of their equipment. 

Edited by Abram

This was an unnecessarily long ordeal, and I do hope that Leica will improve their customer service, and take steps to ensure they support folks like us, users of their equipment. 

May I point out that you actually illustrated several problems... not just customer service.

1. A design flaw that allows a lens hood to loosen part of the lens.

2. Poor quality assurance in the repair department on two occasions for this one lens... necessitating a third repair.

3. Poor customer service and communication in several ways.

4. Long delay in repair times for a very simple adjustment.

5. No guarantee that the repair solved the problem that caused it. Thus you are afraid to use the lens shade any more.

Edited by AlanG