shutter release guard interchangeable ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Will the shutter release guard (aka metal ring surrounding the shutter release) of a llf converted to lllf  be a perfect fit for a lll as well as a lllb ?  I'm about to buy either a lll or a lllb that have lost theirs, but my soon-to go lllf might have to  provide a replacement due to the scarcity of spares.

The later larger collar was introduced during the period of production of the IIIc, around 1941. It requires a circular slot at the bottom of the shutter button column in order to fit. I have an early chrome 'stepper' model that does not have this but my two later grey IIIcs have this feature and can take the later collar, which was subsequently used on the IIIf, III g etc. The earlier collar from the IIIb etc will fit on the later models but not vice versa because of the slot issue. I hope this makes sense. To summarise, a collar from an 'f' model will not fit on a IIIb or III.

William

The later larger collar was introduced during the period of production of the IIIc, around 1941. It requires a circular slot at the bottom of the shutter button column in order to fit. I have an early chrome 'stepper' model that does not have this but my two later grey IIIcs have this feature and can take the later collar, which was subsequently used on the IIIf, III g etc. The earlier collar from the IIIb etc will fit on the later models but not vice versa because of the slot issue. I hope this makes sense. To summarise, a collar from an 'f' model will not fit on a IIIb or III.

William

You are right about IIIc... I just checked (Van Hasbroek on IIIc) : " Camera 374.501 was the first to be fitted with a double-threaded collar round the shutter release button, enabling a cable release to be fitted without removing the usual protective collar: this feature was retained on all Leicas...". My IIIc is 383.895 so makes sense that the collar is intherchangable with the one of my IIIf ... but probably not with IIIb and earlier, as you say.

Edited by luigi bertolotti