Replace M8 shutter or LCD rear screen?

Ernstk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Braver than me Gungadin, .

We're you able to get at the inside of the top plate, to push out that ghastly dent?

Next job, see if you can "fix" the LCD, I find it incomprehensible that this is not possible.

Good work.

Gary

Thanks Gary.

Yes, I could get inside the top plate. However, at the exact spot where the dent is, a flexible circuit board is cemented in place and I really didn't want to remove that to beat out the dent.

I've been thinking the same thing about the LCD. I'll try to dismantle the damaged one to see what I can unearth.

Ernst

• Like 1

Who does this outside of Wetzlar?

(I'm looking for this service myself).

Most of them don't touch digi-Ms

I'm not sure. Having done the job, I guess that any competent camera repair person could do it.

If they hadn't worked on an M8 before you might have to provide an overview of how the camera comes apart.

It is truly amazing, and encouraging, to see transplants like this successfully accomplished. Thanks for the thread. The M8 is a great camera and I love using mine; but, for some reason, every time I turn it on there is a minor sense of dread. My way of combating this dread is to shun the LCD unless it absolutely necessary to use it to change settings. I works pretty well.

It is too bad Leica has not thought about the possibility of offering a firmware modification allowing the ISO setting to appear in the small window on top of the camera: this, combined with the modification of one of the left side buttons, e.g. "Protect" button, to function as an ISO button could make M8 cameras with failed LCD the functional equivalent of the new M-D. I know...............pie in the sky.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Option: make a test shot, connect to a computer, check image and ISO, reset ISO if necessary, shoot 36 frames. When you're done, you need neither rewinding nor scanning :) which is an incredible advantage, worth a few thousand bucks to some people.

But your image is not on film.

That's the exact flaw in the M-D concept imo: that camera has the downside of film AND of digital in one (new and expensive) body.

Though, with the M-D you can easily change ISO anytime, which would the second advantage of this new model versus any an analog M body.

Actually the main one versus a half-broken M8 being the 240 chip inside.

(If you don't count bragging rights as an advantage, which probably is the biggest of them all).

I love my M8 as my "Polaroid". The ancient Polaroid system also had neither the colours nor the exposure latitude of the film shots it was previewing, so I'm fine with the M8 for this purpose, also because I have far too many lenses, so the crop factor is not a problem.

As far as any a new M is concerned, I hope real innovation and progress will be worth my spending. Until then my M6TTL 0.85 & M8 combo is more than good enough.

"Option: make a test shot, connect to a computer, check image and ISO, reset ISO if necessary, shoot 36 frames. When you're done, you need neither rewinding nor scanning :) which is an incredible advantage, worth a few thousand bucks to some people."

For all intents and purposes, that is the way I now use my M8; however, as the LCD on my camera still works, I use it on those rare occasions where I need to change a setting. I am somewhat embarrassed to ask, but, is it possible to adjust settings of the M8 through use of computer...using a cable? If so, I really do not need the LCD.

Theoretically it might be possible to change ISO of an M8 with a broken LCD:

make a photo, take out the card, check the ISO setting in LR, change the ISO setting by counting the clicks you made on the up- or down- arrows.

Make a new photo, take the card out, control in LR that the new setting of this image is to the ISO you think it is.

No wire needed :)

Well, don't change ISO too often: seasoned photographers with their film of choice for decades may not see this as a limitation.

I thought I had read, somewhere, the software coming with M8 (CaptureOne) would allow for tethered manipulation of the camera. I looked in the box and found the software, but, as luck would have it, I own no machine ancient enough to run it. I guess it is some consolation to discover that the software would have done no good anyway. While I was visiting the Capture/PhaseOne web page, I noted the newest version does offer tethered support for many cameras, but not for the Leicas. Is this likely because of Leica protectionism?

No, not possible.

Time can't be adjusted from a computer and this is not necessary, in order to operate an M8 with a broken LCD, because the dial is mechanical, just like the f:stop on the lens. And the ISO only indirectly by exporting an image (which is why the cable socket is there) looking at it in LR, clicking the up or down arrow for ISO, shooting again, checking on the computer's screen etc.

But formating a card,

over/under-exposing in A-mode,

setting jpegs(which I never do) and their size, including the resulting WB settings

descreet-mode etc.

all this is practically impossible with a totally non-functioning LCD (and well possible with "cafe-stains-rings" on th LCD).

Tethered fireing of the shutter worked somehow but any further manipulations, I think I remember, were a constant source of reports about frustration on the forum, back when the M8 was the only digital M.

Luckily the LCD of my M8 is working, too.

Edited by tri