75 or 90apo

leica1215

a simple and unambiguous question:

who can tell me how to focus ( as for a normal analogue goal ) with my apo Summicron 90 f2 ?

I do not think to ask for the impossible ... or nó !?

If you can't after several severe trials including on tripod with a Leica loupe 1.4 or hongkong 1.25, send it to Leica for an adjustment to your RF or vice versa, because this should not be a problem if you are a reasonable experienced M user

Edited by otto.f

• 2 weeks later...

the AA 90 is a wonderful lens. If you master the focussing it will be very rewarding in very low light situations. Personally, i still have to find the 75mm summicron lens which focusses just as easy as the 90mm in the same situations. I tried four of them, but they did not give the convincing result I always got from my 90 apos. ( I had a black, a titan and now I have a black one again ).

• Like 4

I have a 90mm Elmarit-M 1:2.8, beautiful easy lens for both portraits and product photography.  Not an APO, I know, but when we talk of 75 or 90, my preference is 90.

Edited by Guest

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Made a shot and an enlargement. The focussing is ok with the Apo 90mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

And enlargement

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I found the 90 to be bigger than I liked to carry - maybe those 2oz are the critical ones!

Still, the 75 APO 'cron is my favorite lens, and has been for some years

Partly because of the look and the handling, but also because it provides the largest magnification of any of the M lenses (except the 90 macro elmar). Great for flowers and other small things - lovely for portraits with a gentle bokeh and a fine roll-off from sharp to soft. I just love mine.

best

• Like 5

All you will ever need is a 35 and 75, the rest are just for convenience  :)

21-35-75. As much as I play with other combinations, I have always reverted back to this three lens setup for daily use and carrying.

• Like 2

21-35-75. As much as I play with other combinations, I have always reverted back to this three lens setup for daily use and carrying.

I´ve settled on 21-28-50, with the 90mm sometimes replacing the 21mm.

When I only take the camera it goes with the 35mm. 

That way most of my focal lengths get a frequent outing and do not get bored at home.  

As mentioned earlier, I'm a bit bias towards the 90aa, partly due to the fact it is a natural companion (in terms of fl) with my 50apo. Not the least, the perfect holy trinity if paired with both 28 and 50 fl's .  If I was to pair with a 35, then i'd lean towards wanting to own a 75cron.

Just like a fine wine... best qualities are revealed when properly paired with food.  :-)

Cheers...

Edited by keenr

Agreed! After trying 15, 21, 25, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90 and 135 in multiple configurations, I've decided on a 21/35/75 kit myself. The 35 as a single lens. The 35/75 as a two-lens kit and the 21/35/75 as a three lens kit. It doesn't weigh much.

It did take some while to get used to the 75mm frame lines after using many different 50's over many years. I also notice that the 75mm frame lines aren't as accurate as the 50 or 35 frame lines.

• 1 month later...

I found the 90 to be bigger than I liked to carry - maybe those 2oz are the critical ones!

Still, the 75 APO 'cron is my favorite lens, and has been for some years

Partly because of the look and the handling, but also because it provides the largest magnification of any of the M lenses (except the 90 macro elmar). Great for flowers and other small things - lovely for portraits with a gentle bokeh and a fine roll-off from sharp to soft. I just love mine.

best

Jono, have you ever used the 75 Summilux?

• 5 months later...