75 or 90apo

leica1215

One word of warning others don't seem to have mentioned - the 75 APO-Summicron gives very fine detail, which is not always flattering for portraits.  Conversely, the 75 Summilux wide open is softer.

I wanted to mention the same. I prefer the 75/1,4 @ 2 or 2,4 or portrait.

Thank you for the specs Jeff.

Maybe my vision of reality is a little skewed with the weight comparison as I have the chrom version of the 50LuxASPH which is heavier than the black anodized version, thereby leaving me with the impression of a comparable weight with the 75/2.

My lenses are getting some personalized loving at Wetzlar at the moment, I will provide "real world" size and weight comparisons when they're back.

I have a black 50 Summilux ASPH, so my comments were prompted by my 'real world' assessment.  YMMV, with silver.

Jeff

I have the 75 lux and love doing portraits with it.  Easy for me to focus, but it weighs quite a bit and wide open the depth of field is very tight.  Thinking of trading it in for a 75/2 and some cash.  Think I would not use a 90 as much.

I have the 75 lux and love doing portraits with it.  Easy for me to focus, but it weighs quite a bit and wide open the depth of field is very tight.  Thinking of trading it in for a 75/2 and some cash.  Think I would not use a 90 as much.

Don't

• Like 6

I see you already have 28-35-50 covered with your existing lenses (assuming your profile is up to date).

If you press the frameline selector on your millennium (I'm assuming it has one), you will see that the 75 framelines are very close to the 50 framelines. Hopefully that will give you some idea.

I like the 75 focal length (many don't) and I will often pair it with the 28mm and 21mm lenses for a useful travel combination. Then I tend to miss the 50mm lenses I have.

What 50 do you have? and how often do you use it?

Thanks, I have 50/1.4 and 50AA on my monochrome 246 which I just got recently, I prefer use the 35 the most then 50. Just read 90 is not easy to nail the focus, I'm still not yet made my decision. You are right 75 is close to 50, then the 90 is not friendly to get in focus....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I haven't had any trouble focusing the 90mm.  I appreciate others have, but I find the 90mm easier to focus than the 75 AA Summicron - perhaps it's just me.  If you search previous discussions (user Olaf had a lot to say on the topic if that helps), you might find an analysis of the focus throw of a number of "difficult to focus" lenses.  My recollection is that the 75 Summicron had the shortest throw.

If you want similar rendering to what you have with your 50s, then the 75 Summicron is probably the better choice.  If you want something different, then look at the 75 Summilux - it shares the fundamental design of the 50 Summilux (pre-aspherical); a little more dreamy wide open, and tack sharp stopped down.  It was Dr Mandler's favourite lens, and you can see why.

To give you some perspective, I have three 50s - 50/2 Summitar (from 1948 - lovely bokeh), the current 50/1.4 Summilux ASPH (really nice, compact and sharp lens) and the Noctilux 0.95 (which is rather like a 50mm equivalent to the 75 Summilux - a little soft wide open and sharp as the 50 Summilux stopped down); the 75 Summilux (sold the 75 AA Summicron) and the 90 AA Summicron.

The only issue, which I'm sure you realise, is that you do need to be careful with your depth of field - I've spoiled many a portrait because not enough of the subject was in focus.

Good luck.

Cheers

John

Edited by IkarusJohn

Do you need the extra half stop of light of the 75/2? Otherwise the Summarit 75mm f/2.4 is a very compact and light-weight 75mm option too, and the new f/2.4 version focuses down to 0.7m - just as the 75/2.

Thanks I didn't know that and it was a major reason for me not to buy  Summarits.

• 3 weeks later...

a simple and unambiguous question:

who can tell me how to focus ( as for a normal analogue goal ) with my apo Summicron 90 f2 ?

I do not think to ask for the impossible ... or nó !?

For an ambiguous question, yours wins the gold.

I'm not sure that I understand your question, but if I do it's simple: focus is the same with all lenses.

I just came very close to buying the 90 APO Cron, but ended up going for the v3 Pre-ASPH (E55) 90 Cron instead.  Paired with my 35 LUX FLE for travel, and for longer trips I'll the 50 Lux ASPH to the bag as well.

• Like 1

a simple and unambiguous question:

who can tell me how to focus ( as for a normal analogue goal ) with my apo Summicron 90 f2 ?

I do not think to ask for the impossible ... or nó !?

A Leica SL Typ 601 and an adapter.