Q or M for one week on Miami Beach

EdwardM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You cannot miss with either camera. Neither is a bad choice - they're both great cameras. Just pick one.

>>> three minutes later after looking at your photograph of the two cameras.... <<<

I would take the "Q". It's less conspicuous. The M is great but might attract unwanted attention with the chrome and the beautiful neckstrap. 

Edited by steamboat

In the touristic areas of Miami, other than in the wee hours, the only way you're likely to have a camera stolen is if you leave it lying vulnerable on a streetside outdoor restaurant table while you're eating.   Daylight strongarm robbery is virtually nonexistent there because of constant police presence, and snatchers go after girls/women with purses...i.e. victims they perceive as less likely to put up a good fight or give chase, and a purse they can grab out any cash and dump the purse quickly so they don't get caught with it as evidence. 

Now if you venture out in the middle of the night, or into seedy neighborhoods, then it really doesn't matter which Leica you take, because the hoodlums there don't know one from the other, they will merely spot you as a tourist and presume you probably have something of value on you. 

If you can only take one take the Q. Like others said the important part is family and being present rather then fiddling with stuff. 

However I only have an M and I rarely fiddle while keeping the camera on me most of the time.

Q for sure for hanging around the neck and moving around, as in it does not leave your neck ever - not to mention I shot 3 complete projects recently with the Q.  It's not a just bring for family unit....it's probably the best color and bw conversion I have seen from any Leica I have owned....and that's all of them - well not the 246 :)

For me lately, it's the Q and M w/ a 50 lux and 21 SEM.  I used to be the one that thought "just bring one lens and body to take the decisions and anxiety out of the way", and don't buy into that anymore...rather have options at places I have never been before...funny thing I rarely use the 50 for some reason.

A super wide would be cool for beach and deco if you are into that - also a flash if you have one that can be used off hot-shoe....a la Martin Parr's work at beaches down there...

MB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the same set up, the Safari M-P240 and the Q. When I travel to a new place, I take the Q, small bag and hardly noticed. It would be my Europe kit. The M-P240 gets a lot of comments, all positive but it is noticed. It is a wake up call to think of the value of a bag with the 240 and APO 50mm and the Q.  As my colleague says when I go shooting in DTLA at lunchtime, "is that a $12,000 bag or a 15,000 bag?"  

I always smile when I see the folks with the backpacks with everything in it walking around DTLA, afraid to not have the right lens for the perfect shot.  I pick the camera and the lens and take what I get. 

Sal

I'd take the Q I have both and use both extensively.  We did a 2 week+ Europe trip, Paris, then around Sicily (see ErrolSandler.com, the Europe 2016 gallery).  You end up fumbling around less, you have one device to handle and completely master, and quality is of course top with the Q as with the M.  A friend of mine once told me that if the composition is wrong for the lens or vice versa, "move".  He is right for many situations.  I've often traveled with gobs of gear.  You might have to work a little harder to get the shot (but this is good!) especially when you are differentiating between 28 and 35.  Also, the somewhat better high iso performance of the Q helps in many situations as well.   

Miami is fine.. I've been in the worst parts of town with my Q and have had no problems. Just be aware of your surroundings no matter where you are.

Bring both if you can, but if I had to choose one, I'd bring the Q. Miami has some real characters on the streets- especially Ocean Drive. Typically I'm a 35mm shooter, but the 28 is perfect for the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Q.  The Q is capable in your hands and in the hands of others

Yes, given all you've said, I the the Q is your best option.

for a family vacation where photos are for memories more than art, take the Q. It works a treat for such and if you do want some art photos, it'll be great for the art deco houses in the evenings as well.

If you can only take one take the Q. Like others said the important part is family and being present rather then fiddling with stuff. 

On a similar note my two fav and most used cameras are the M240 and Fuji X100s.

Family trip I'd grab the X100s for quite a few reasons which would also apply to the Q:

Less gear.

I want memories, more precious than art 10-20 years from now, atlas for me.

Being auto anyone can use it.

Being to use it manual or priority mode lets me take "artsy" when I need to.

Less weight and goes into my pocket.

Basically agree with all those who I quoted and haven't quoted who also opt for the Q.

Just remember that Q caused a lot of hassle for Picard and Janeway (Star Trek  :p ).

for a family vacation where photos are for memories more than art, take the Q. It works a treat for such and if you do want some art photos, it'll be great for the art deco houses in the evenings as well.

Main thing is to enjoy your family holiday, not to live through viewfinder.

For my last holiday I packed just the Q. It was great.. for sand activities, swimming & video I had the GoPro hero 4 black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Less is more. For family vacations, just take the Q.

Thank you all for your kind posts, but I have mixed two bags ( both the same color Billingham) I took M:))))
Actually, the conclusions you have made are all right:
M is for single traveling man, not for the family travels.
It's not point and shoot camera, but I had real fun to shoot with M ( my wife hasn't though).
35 mm is still number one choise for street but sometime I was missing 50mm.
People didn't react on green M at all, which is good thing.
Low light still a problem for M, and I missed Q on the evening a lot.

p.s. some guy with Q 

0_14cf71_824239fb_XXXL.jpg

Edited by EdwardM
  • Like 1