Leica SL (Firmware 2.0) and SF-40 flash with R and M lenses.

Leicaiste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have and tried the SF-40 with the SL (Firmware 2.0).

Important : I only have R and M lenses to use on the SL which means that I can only use the SL in A or M modes on the camera.

So far my observations are :

1 - Auto ISO in camera :

- No Auto ISO available on the SL used with the SF-40.  If the SL is in Auto ISO mode, it switch to ISO 50 as soon as the SF-40 is turned on.

2 - Flash Exposure compensation in camera or on flash :

- In camera Flash Exposure Compensation only available if set on M mode on the mode dial of the SF-40 (M mode = fixed power output = Full, 1/2,1/4, etc), which means not available in TTL or A flash mode set on the SF-40).

- No Flash Exposure Compensation available at all if set on A mode on the mode dial of on the SF-40.

- Flash Exposure Compensation only available on the Exposure Compensation dial of the SF-40 itself if set on TTL mode on the mode dial of the SF-40.

This is too bad because the Flash Exposure Compensation dial on the SF-40 offers only the following compensations : -/+ 1/2, 1, 1 1/2 and 2 (dial on the SF-40).

Instead of -/+ 1/3, 2/3, 1, 1 1/3, 1 2/3, 2, 2 1/3, 2 2/3 and 3 available on the SL in camera Flash Exposure Compensation.

3 - A mode on camera :

In A mode on the camera, it is not easy to expose for the background. The SF-40 dictate the ISO if in Auto ISO (50 ISO), the shutter speed (according to your choice in the in camera menu).

And the graph in the EVF doesn't give you any information.

It is really only Priority to the flash.

4 - M mode on camera :

You can set all the parameter if not in Auto Iso, and the graph in the EVF (or on screen) let you expose for the background easily.

Conclusion for people like me who don't have SL or T lenses :

The only efficient way to use the SL + SF-40 is in TTL mode on the SF-40 and M mode and Manual ISO on the SL.

• Like 1

I kind of agree, but not entirely.

I prefer A mode (camera) within the slow sync speed limits because at least then you get the auto exposure with the EVF. In M mode (camera) exposure preview is disabled completely making blending TTL exposures near impossible.

I agree the lack of visual signals in A mode (camera) when the ambient exposure is out of the slow sync settings range is a major flaw and I don't see how Leica though having NO visual clue of background exposure was a good idea. Ambient exposure should ALWAYS be made visually available through live view, the exposure indicators or both at all times.

The main flaw is Leicas insistance to disable live exposure preview with a TTL flash turn on. It's a stupid idea and should be rectified asap.

Gordon

I prefer A mode (camera) within the slow sync speed limits because at least then you get the auto exposure with the EVF. In M mode (camera) exposure preview is disabled completely making blending TTL exposures near impossible.

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'you get the auto-exposure with the EVF' ?

Sorry, but what do you mean by 'you get the auto-exposure with the EVF' ?

I believe he means that 'exposure preview' is evident for ambient lighting in the EVF when using A exposure mode. 

I dont have a dedicated flash so I can't test this. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

I believe he means that 'exposure preview' is evident for ambient lighting in the EVF when using A exposure mode. 

I dont have a dedicated flash so I can't test this. 

Sorry. Sometimes I get my English messed up. This is not great because I only speak English.......

Thanks for correcting this. You are correct. That is what I meant.

Gordon

• 4 months later...