jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do people customize their settings under the new firmware for

1. Use with an AF lens 

2. Use with manual focus lenses

?

NB. The manual is poorly organised / laid out / translated

For example,

* the PDF page numbers in the English version do not correspond to the contents page numbers (they are offset by the German and have no hyperlinks)

* the text needs to be proofed and translated better.  For example:

Multi-field metering [Field]

This metering method registers subject details in a total of 37 or

49 fields, thus offering maximum snapshot suitability. Even so, you

can select whether to use 37 or 49 fields to match the registered

are to the subject and/or the situation.

relates to focusing, not exposure, and seems to have a surplus "are to the" and I have no idea what "registered" means.

I've had a project and an intent to write an alternative manual for the SL since the day I got it, but I've been too busy with my 'real' work. Perhaps this Summer. 

Regards how I set up the camera, I use all four user configs to establish baseline settings: 

1- normal use with R or M lenses

2- copy above but square format, B&W

3- normal use with SL lens (manual focus with AF on demand)

4- SL lens primarily AF

All my button assignments are the same in all of them, it's the details of Favorites settings along with details of processing settings in the first two and the details of AF configuration in the latter two that differ. 

• Like 1

Godfrey, please do carry through your project, but maybe focus on giving the new user, who is probably familiar with cameras having lots of labelled buttons, an introduction to how to think about the SL.  The Leica manual, besides having typos and conceptual issues, is not a graceful entry point to its very different UI.

scott

• Like 1

Thanks.  I don't find the default button settings optimal because they seem to be for JPEG shooters (2 of them relate to white balance).  I'm sure that I will iterate to better settings, but it's always interesting to learn from others. 

Thanks.  I don't find the default button settings optimal because they seem to be for JPEG shooters (2 of them relate to white balance).  I'm sure that I will iterate to better settings, but it's always interesting to learn from others. 

I went through several reconfigurations of long-press button assignments in the first six weeks I had the SL. Given that my primary use on the SL are adapted R lenses, my assignments might not be optimal for others who prefer to use the SL lenses. But here you go, this is what I use most of the time... 

My long-press button assignments are:

UL - Drive Mode

LL - Metering pattern

UR - EV Compensation

LR - ISO 

FN - Lens Profiles

LV - Exposure Bracketing Configuration

Vid - User Profile

I've got different Favorites setups based upon whether I'm using R or SL lenses. And of course there are a few other global configuration settings that persist through all my user configs. As soon as I record them, I'll post them. 

• Like 1

Godfrey, please do carry through your project, but maybe focus on giving the new user, who is probably familiar with cameras having lots of labelled buttons, an introduction to how to think about the SL.  The Leica manual, besides having typos and conceptual issues, is not a graceful entry point to its very different UI.

I intend to carry through with it, but when is the challenge. I've been swamped for months...  :huh:

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

How do people customize their settings under the new firmware for

1. Use with an AF lens 

2. Use with manual focus lenses

Perhaps if I tell you how I set my camera up, that might help?  For background, I have the 24-90 zoom, 10 M mount lenses, one R lens, R extender and M-Macro adapter, using Leica T-M and R-M adapters, as necessary. 

As I'm sure you're aware, there are 6 configurable buttons (long press to access). I organise these as follows as standard:

• Fn - exposure modes
  • Video - drive mode
  • Liveview - exposure bracketing
  • TR - exposure compensation
  • BR - ISO
  • TL - focus mode
  • LL - AF mode

This means my most used buttons are Fn, short press from exposure preview, long press to change meter mode (mostly spot); TR for exposure compensation; the joystick to move the spot; and ISO (along with the top and back dials for shutter and aperture). This configuration means that all my exposure related settings are at my right hand where I can easily access them with the camera to my eye. 

The left hand cradles the lens and makes zoom adjustments or fine focus adjustment with the shutter half-cocked. The Video, Liveview and left hand buttons are assigned to less used functions as I need to shift my grip to get to them

With MF lenses, I use the same configuration as those buttons remain my most used. The rear dial becomes exposure compensation (which is useful) and the left hand buttons are disabled, which I don't miss. 

It's all very personal to how you work, and this works for me. I hate fiddling with menus, so I try to standardise what I'm doing. I don't use profiles or anything like that - I don't see the need. White balance is of little interest as I use DNG only. Initially, I set white balance at 5500K, but soon saw little point in that. Leica's AWB on the SL is so good, there's no point departing from it most of the time. The fact that the camera has a myriad of options doesn't mean that you have to use them. Work out what you need, assign those in a way which makes sense and forget the rest. 

I hope this answers your question. I still haven't read the manual. 

Cheers

John

• Like 3

With MF lenses, I use the same configuration as those buttons remain my most used. The rear dial becomes exposure compensation (which is useful) and the left hand buttons are disabled, which I don't miss.

How do you get the rear dial for exposure compensation without pressing the TR. With firmware 2.0 I can only use the front dial for direct compensation

How do you get the rear dial for exposure compensation without pressing the TR. With firmware 2.0 I can only use the front dial for direct compensation

You can only do it in T mode (shutter priority) They keep the back button for Aperture and top button for Shutter speed . . . . . 

TL ISO

BL WB (but never changed from Auto, so I might find another use)

TR Chimp

BR Exp bracketing (but same as BL really)

Fn Focus mode (MF/AF)

LV AF mode

Video OIS (on/off for tripod use)

I don't use profiles, except a Basic settings, which I save in case of doing a factory reset, or a f/w upgrade goes wrong.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Don't listen to those guys above - they are all nuts. The ONLY sensible setting for the buttons are mine (Mwahaha):

Buttons (long press):

- TL: Focus Mode

- BL: AF Mode

- TR: AF Area

- BR: ISO

- LV: Load User Profile

- FN: Drive Mode

I use LV often to quickly flip between four user profiles. I chose the LV button because, ergonomically, it's the easiest to access, even with the camera on the face.

I use FN sometimes to quickly set timer or exposure bracketing. This is the second easiest button to access, just a short movement of the middle finger.

I use BR occasionally to select an ISO, especially as Auto ISO still has a quirk with flash. This has the easiest access of the four monitor buttons, just a swing of the thumb.

The other 3 are rarely used to change Focus stuff because I have my favorite ways of focusing set in the four profiles.

Regards

Peter

PS. Only joking about them being nuts. Embrace choice!

I might disagree with their settings, but I'm willing to give my life for their right to be able to choose. :)

http://www.peterwalker.com

Edited by Peter Walker

... I might disagree with their settings, but I'm willing to give my life for their right to be able to choose. :)

I tried a setup like yours for a bit. It simply didn't work for my fingers *and* I only use the AF lens once in a blue moon, so I'm not going to waste dedicating precious assignments to AF gizmos. 

The joy of the SL is that it gives us choice in how to configure things to suit our hands and shooting needs...  :D

• Like 2

Seems there are a lot of ways of killing this cat!

TL  - ISO

BL - White Balance

TR - Exposure compensation

BR - Lens Profiles

Front button - Expos

Live View - AF Mode

Video - Drive Mode

I keep it still simpler (don't have an AF lens).  +1 for TL, BL, TR, BR, and FN.  Leave mode lock on and haven't yet touched the LV or Video buttons.

scott

TL  - ISO

BL - White Balance

TR - Exposure metering

BR - Lens Profiles

Front button - Exposure compensation

Live View - Gray Card

Video - Flash Exposure compensation

Direct Exposure Control (Top wheel) = Off

TL - ISO

BL - White Balance

TR - Exposure metering

BR - Lens Profiles

Front button - Exposure compensation

Live View - Gray Card

Video - Flash Exposure compensation

Direct Exposure Control (Top wheel) = Off

But now that Exposure Compensation is available on the "unused" wheel, why would you waste a button for it?

• Like 1

But now that Exposure Compensation is available on the "unused" wheel, why would you waste a button for it?

Also, if you want to use Manual exposure mode with Auto ISO, you need access to EV Compensation and the top dial is dedicated to exposure time. 

Also, if you want to use Manual exposure mode with Auto ISO, you need access to EV Compensation and the top dial is dedicated to exposure time.

I had not thought of that.

I tend to work in 2 distinct modes:

Manual exposure: where everything is manual, including ISO.

Automatic exposure: Aperture priority with ISO 100 in bright conditions and Auto ISO (50 to 3200) in dark ambient light. (Occasionally shutter priority for action and/or video)

I think Auto ISO in Manual mode would confuse me.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

I had not thought of that.

I tend to work in 2 distinct modes:

Manual exposure: where everything is manual, including ISO.

Automatic exposure: Aperture priority with ISO 100 in bright conditions and Auto ISO (50 to 3200) in dark ambient light. (Occasionally shutter priority for action and/or video)

I think Auto ISO in Manual mode would confuse me.

Regards

Peter

You're not alone ...