Miami Beach

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Adam, I'm still amazed how surreal this image feels, it's a twisted-reality shot. Don't you ever try to straighten it:-)

Thanks, Rodrigue.  Don't worry, I ain't touching a thing and am headed back to Miami this week and I will try to take more like this... :lol:

• Like 1

I'm sure I will come to regret this, but I can't resist it.

Ned! Please call my office in the morning and book a Skype appointment. I will give you a special rate if it helps, and I will do my very best for you. Maybe it will even help in time to prevent your getting banned from the forum. 

Adam,

Another of your terrific natural "in situ" shots, but with an artistic angular flare. I fall more and more for Portra, and it's more from your shots than my own that I do.

A professional photographer acquaintance strives for "Z's" in his pictures. If the lines and elements in the shot can be positioned into a z shaped configuration, he's in Nirvana. Or Valhalla. The sweeping lines in the original certainly approximate this idea better--I can't say if this is why I like it better than the second version.

About breasts and babies. Will future generations look back on us and doubt whether it was even legal to breast feed in our era? It's not something often photographed, though more and more it's being witnessed. A taboo, still, around this. 

I'm reminded, If  I may digress on a theme, of the Vietnam war memorial. I'd seen pictures of it, but none portraying the moving intensity of loved ones taking etchings of the inscribed names of fallen family and friends. I can understand why no one would dare intrude on such a deeply personal, intimate moment. And yet, when I saw it, I wished I had my camera in order to wait and wait and wait for the right opportunity to . . . ask if I might. 

I'd like to return to Washington to get that picture. And also to celebrate the time I met my fiance there. 

• Like 1

Adam, only you can create this much traffic for a beach shot!!! :-)!!! Love it! My own feeling is that the center of the picture is the guy, a bronze statue divorced from reality while everyone else is background and alive. If it were my shot I would've nudged him a little lower in the photo by cutting off the bottom but before that I would've tiled the shot so he angled marginally down towards the water. You could then use a keystone type of correct to twist the horizon level. Keystone is what they call it in CaptureOne I am sure it exists in Lightroom and or Photoshop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Adam,

Another of your terrific natural "in situ" shots, but with an artistic angular flare. I fall more and more for Portra, and it's more from your shots than my own that I do.

A professional photographer acquaintance strives for "Z's" in his pictures. If the lines and elements in the shot can be positioned into a z shaped configuration, he's in Nirvana. Or Valhalla. The sweeping lines in the original certainly approximate this idea better--I can't say if this is why I like it better than the second version.

About breasts and babies. Will future generations look back on us and doubt whether it was even legal to breast feed in our era? It's not something often photographed, though more and more it's being witnessed. A taboo, still, around this. 

I'm reminded, If  I may digress on a theme, of the Vietnam war memorial. I'd seen pictures of it, but none portraying the moving intensity of loved ones taking etchings of the inscribed names of fallen family and friends. I can understand why no one would dare intrude on such a deeply personal, intimate moment. And yet, when I saw it, I wished I had my camera in order to wait and wait and wait for the right opportunity to . . . ask if I might. 

I'd like to return to Washington to get that picture. And also to celebrate the time I met my fiance there. 

Hi Brenton - sincere thanks for your opinions and for your usual remarkable substantive contributions to these threads.  I really appreciate it. 

Adam, only you can create this much traffic for a beach shot!!! :-)!!! Love it! My own feeling is that the center of the picture is the guy, a bronze statue divorced from reality while everyone else is background and alive. If it were my shot I would've nudged him a little lower in the photo by cutting off the bottom but before that I would've tiled the shot so he angled marginally down towards the water. You could then use a keystone type of correct to twist the horizon level. Keystone is what they call it in CaptureOne I am sure it exists in Lightroom and or Photoshop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Steve.  Shall we then level all of Garry Winogrand's photographs while were at it?!?!?  Just joking, my friend.  Thanks for your opinion.  Next week I hope to find some bronze statutes and bare baby asses to capture at all levels of horizontalness :) :) 

• Like 2

Not that I want to seem orally fixated or anything, but the breastfeeding thing would have been such a juxtaposition -- i.e., it's truly healthy. But in "the day" of our bronze statue, it was thought that getting a good sun tan was healthy! 

See, this is why I have to object to the earlier comment that your picture is not about anything.  As someone else said, your pictures, not just this one, invite a lot of commentary and thoughtful reflection. Imagination.  

Edited by Brenton C

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not that I want to seem orally fixated or anything, but the breastfeeding thing would have been such a juxtaposition -- i.e., it's truly healthy. But in "the day" of our bronze statue, it was thought that getting a good sun tan was healthy! 

right you are.  But I was trying to take a romantic stroll with my wife, reflecting on our life together under the balmy tender golden sun.  I felt that, at that moment, I should keep my distance from someone else's swollen milky breasts  :)

• Like 2

right you are.  But I was trying to take a romantic stroll with my wife, reflecting on our life together under the balmy tender golden sun.  I felt that, at that moment, I should keep my distance from someone else's swollen milky breasts  :)

good move on your part

• Like 1

The 'original' photo and the 'leveled' one are almost two different compositions. I like them both.

There is something slightly unsettling about the tilted one, like stepping off a whirly-gig ride or something. It, perhaps, invites a more lingering gaze. I wonder what the photo would look like even more askew (if it was also possible to keep Mr. Bronzo on the level. Man, he looks so surreal!)

No comment on the baby, but some seem to be milking it for all it's worth.

• Like 1

Thanks, Rodrigue. Don't worry, I ain't touching a thing and am headed back to Miami this week and I will try to take more like this... :lol:

And I'm heading the Caribbean soon and I'll do my best to copycat you[emoji23]
  • Like 1

The 'original' photo and the 'leveled' one are almost two different compositions. I like them both.

There is something slightly unsettling about the tilted one, like stepping off a whirly-gig ride or something. It, perhaps, invites a more lingering gaze. I wonder what the photo would look like even more askew (if it was also possible to keep Mr. Bronzo on the level. Man, he looks so surreal!)

No comment on the baby, but some seem to be milking it for all it's worth.

Thanks for the comment.  I said from much earlier in the thread that I wish the lady and baby were more obvious in the shot so that they could be a main subject rather than an aside.  Oh well

And I'm heading the Caribbean soon and I'll do my best to copycat you[emoji23]

Cool!  I am looking forward to seeing the results, which I am sure will be very interesting.

Adam, that first photo is indeed perfect in all it's imperfections.

Thanks, Mark.  Far from perfect - and could have been better - but I do think it is undeniably interesting in a number of respects. :)

I can't think of a more apt platitude than "discretion" being "the better part of valour", and I'm sure you couldn't have played that scenario any better. Indeed, had there been a "more revealing" opening, you'd have been better not to have "noticed it at all." 

It's interesting to me that talking about your pictures is equally as enjoyable as looking at them. 

• Like 1

Lovely indeed! I grew up on Miami Beach. I am very concerned it will be washed away with all the wonderful places I used to inhabit! Flooding has become such a serious problem. Last week, my old next door neighbor had to lock himself in & was too afraid to open the door!

• Like 1

I can't think of a more apt platitude than "discretion" being "the better part of valour", and I'm sure you couldn't have played that scenario any better. Indeed, had there been a "more revealing" opening, you'd have been better not to have "noticed it at all." 

It's interesting to me that talking about your pictures is equally as enjoyable as looking at them. 

Thanks, Brenton.  I have full service threads; I really aim to please :)

Adam,

yes, a surreal 70ies shot as if from one of these non commercial movies. The bronze statue is a symbolisation of the beauty cult. This in the centre with all those hotspots around is great.

Thanks, Iduna.  I agree about the beauty cult thing :)

Lovely indeed! I grew up on Miami Beach. I am very concerned it will be washed away with all the wonderful places I used to inhabit! Flooding has become such a serious problem. Last week, my old next door neighbor had to lock himself in & was too afraid to open the door!

Hi Ben - Thanks for stopping, old friend.  I thought of you when taking this photo in Harlem recently (b/c I know you live there); the fact that it reminded me of Miami is apropro about your comment about having grown up in Miami :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It is very sad for me to see the ravage of climate change over the past 10 years. When I lived in Coconut Grove, we had some of the most extreme conditions with Andrew! My wife & I thought it better to return to Manhattan. The best things about Miami now is that is is easy to get to Cuba!  I have sailed there several times with my boat!

• Like 2

It is very sad for me to see the ravage of climate change over the past 10 years. When I lived in Coconut Grove, we had some of the most extreme conditions with Andrew! My wife & I thought it better to return to Manhattan. The best things about Miami now is that is is easy to get to Cuba!  I have sailed there several times with my boat!

Very interesting, Ben. I love your film photos from cuba