Miami Beach

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:p

M-A, 35mm summilux FLE, Portra 160

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

That first guy appears to be a 'bronze' statue'..... why would anyone do that to their skin! ...Anyhow...hard to take pictures on the  beach as everyone is aware of a camera being aimed at them and their bodies.... jim

• Like 1

I beg to differ with Stuart on this one as I really like the "pie slices" you are dishing out with this image!  :)  Keep the horizon as is, I'd say.

Clearly, no one was paying any attention to you and you managed to bring back a momentary delight.

Ece

• Like 1

My first take on the 'level' is that it was done to match the apparent level of the bronze man. It works to reinforce him as the subject and 'disconnects' him from the environment.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Isn't the 'horizon' an interesting element to any picture. Just look at the responses here where one person doesn't like the angle of, while the other does. That alone goes to show you that the value of 'rules' that someone came up with is ZERO......   

So, just do what you like.

• Like 4

Thank you all for spending the time to view and comment.  

My instinctive thinking was to anchor the frame based on the man sunbathing (a little more than he probably needs to : )

I actually really like how the angles came out b/c, while the horizon looks really out of whack, all the people are perfectly straight and level; this adds a surreal feeling to me.  

The lady on the upper left was breast feeding her baby and I wish I could have captured this more obviously; but my chutzpah has its limits! :)

Isn't the 'horizon' an interesting element to any picture. Just look at the responses here where one person doesn't like the angle of, while the other does. That alone goes to show you that the value of 'rules' that someone came up with is ZERO......

So, just do what you like.

Rules are definitely worth something and one can definitely shoot as ones likes. I don't think a pulitzer prize is at stake.

Thank you all for spending the time to view and comment.

My instinctive thinking was to anchor the frame based on the man sunbathing (a little more than he probably needs to : )

I actually really like how the angles came out b/c, while the horizon looks really out of whack, all the people are perfectly straight and level; this adds a surreal feeling to me.

The lady on the upper left was breast feeding her baby and I wish I could have captured this more obviously; but my chutzpah has its limits! :)

If I edit your photo on my iphone and straighten the horizon, only then the people become perfectly straight and level. I believe that it also gains in strength once levelled.

As you say, can't take this stuff too seriously.  

Here is a version that levels the horizon...

Better or worse, don't think there is a right answer but appreciate the opinions

• Like 1

It is interesting that leveling the horizon doesn't meaningfully change the leveling of the people as far as I can tell.  And it clips part of the image of the woman breastfeeding in the upper left (see screen shot comparing the two images)

So I still like the original version...

In any case, the leveled shot cut part of the image in the upper left, and it doesnt make the people meaningfully straighter and more level, as you suggested

There are many things going in the shot. And the baby's bare ass is one of them. The fact that you dont see it doesnt mean others (including me) do not.

This leveling really doesnt do anything for me.

The levelled image is just 'another beach shot', IMO. However, the 'levelled man' throws him up as the main content by placing him on his 'own' level or plane.

This can only be an artist comment, not right or wrong.

In any case, the leveled shot cut part of the image in the upper left, and it doesnt make the people meaningfully straighter and more level, as you suggested

There are many things going in the shot. And the baby's bare ass is one of them. The fact that you dont see it doesnt mean others (including me) do not.

This leveling really doesnt do anything for me.

Well, when the people are crooked you say they are perfectly levelled. And when they are truly perfectly levelled, you say they aren't meaningfully straighter while they actually are.

I personally don't think there is anything meaningful going on in the shot. All the figures are trivial, they don't add anything, except the bronze man, without whom there simply is no shot.

I dom't want to go in depth with my critiques because people are way too sensitive and not receptive. So I'm staying Light. Diet Ned.

• Like 2

Ned -

Well, when the people are crooked you say they are perfectly levelled. And when they are truly perfectly levelled, you say they aren't meaningfully straighter while they actually are.,

I noticed NO difference whatsoever in the alignment of the people, particularly on my 27" monitor.  I was just hedging my words to be nice to you.  It was you who claimed that the leveling would magically make the people look aligned (as if they weren't in the original version).  I proved you wrong on that one....but I didn't want to rub your nose in it..

I personally don't think there is anything meaningful going on in the shot. All the figures are trivial, they don't add anything, except the bronze man, without whom there simply is no shot.

The same can be said with most of the shots that you have shared.  But for some interesting color and good exposure, most are void of more than a single subject.  That doesn't necessarily mean a shot like that can't hold up; and it doesn't mean that other things going on can't mean different things to different people.  I am consistently surprised by what some people remark on with regard to photos shared on this forum (and on my flickr page).  It really has opened my mind to a very vast universe of interpretative poetry that is out there.  This all feeds into the art of it all...

There is no right answer with this stuff -

Beauty is in the eye...  You don't like it (despite the time to invested in it)...no biggie...I don't take this stuff seriously.

Edited by A miller

It is interesting that leveling the horizon doesn't meaningfully change the leveling of the people as far as I can tell. And it clips part of the image of the woman breastfeeding in the upper left (see screen shot comparing the two images)

So I still like the original version...

Adam, I'm still amazed how surreal this image feels, it's a twisted-reality shot. Don't you ever try to straighten it:-)
  • Like 5