Leica SL Firmware v.2.0 answers our wishes

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has published an extensive firmware update for the Leica SL (Type 601). The latest version 2.0 now brings the long-awaited direct exposure compensation in P, T and A mode, an advanced flash compatibility and many more. It is available for download in the Leica Owners’ Area.

• DNG-files can be played back in more details when zoomed in to 100% max (6000x4000).
  • Touch AF is improved, AF will be applied by touch up.
  • Longer manual shutter speed added (up to 30 min)
  • Support for more Leica flash devices improved.
  • Improving time code menu options.
  • Improving power saving during long exposure shots and Interval shots.
  • Flash exp. compensation is added to favorite list and to customized buttons.
  • Adding direct exp. Compensation in setup menu, enabling exp. correction via top and rear dials in P, T and A mode.
  • The list of M and R-lenses are editable now (can be switched ON and OFF). The name of the lens will be showing in the menu.
  • Adding the video rec button to the customized buttons (when Mode-Lock is On).
  • Improving image quality in Jpeg-files (extreme yellowish tint in over exposed areas)
  • Adding noise reduction settings menu for Jpeg-files (low, medium and high).
  • Adding the possibility to change the file name (only first letter).
  • Improving AUTO ISO settings, separating video / photo settings, adding minimum ISO setting
  • Option to display WLAN password during input.
  • Adding focus peaking sensitivity by a menu in setup (low and high)
  • Adding Focus peaking icon in LV.
  • More letters added to Profile name (max. 10 letters).
  • Improving tracking AF.
  • Improving AF for horizontal objects.
  • Adding more AF-steps in setup menu (1 and 5 steps).
  • More UHS-II cards are supported ( Toshiba and Lexar second generation)
  • Adding the support of XMP rating for Adobe Software (rated pictures will be shown as rated in Adobe LR and PS).
  • Histogram box is transparent, to avoid covering Live view areas.
  • Adding a menu for electronic shutter with 1/16000 sec in CAMERA Menu.
  • The AF-frame doesn’t disappear in burst shooting (for low speed and medium speed)
  • Combining the video format and the resolution in one menu.
  • Adding 1 point AF in magnified situation (3x and 6x).
  • Improved TTL/HSS mode (flash)
  • Renaming of WLAN modes (Host / Client –> Create WLAN / Join WLAN)
  • SD card writing errors solved

Firmware Betatest in the Leica Forum

The new Firmware was tested by a group of Leica Forum members, who found some issues that Leica could finally solve. Thanks to all the betatesters for helping to improve the firmware!

• Like 15

Option to enable/disable remembering of the last magnified position when using M lenses? ( instead starting from the middle of the frame for every new image / magnification)

I guess not... :(

Not this time, but they're very much aware of the need. 

Still, this looks like a glass 4/5 full to me!

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 3

Congratulations to everybody involved - I think this is an excellent and creditable update - there's still more to wish for, but these improvements are really welcome.

All round, a good update, responsive to what was asked for.

It's encouraging to see Leica using the forum as a resource.

• Like 3

Update error

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The links in the "Owner's Area" didn't work for me, but the one given by LocalHero1953 did.

dgktkr

I'm not the camera's "owner" since it's on loan to me so it's not appearing in the owner's area.  Is there a direct link to the download?

• Like 1

It's encouraging to see Leica using the forum as a resource.

+1

And regardless of the feedback mechanism, maybe a good sign in general regarding more timely and frequent FW updates for Leica cameras, a subject of some prior user frustration.

Jeff

• Like 3

Downloading now.  I'll check to see if the buggered R lens profiles are fixed.  The release doesn't single them out, but talks about "other bug fixes."

scott

PS.  Result of checking the SX 90 R ASPH -- no ring of smoke around the profile!

Of course my files have started their numbers at L10000000000001 again.  I hope there will be a list of revisions to the manual to sort out the new options. 

PPS.  The 12 second startup time with two Lexar 1000 UHS II 64GB cards remains.  But it is nice that these cards are now supported.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

Jono's "glass 4/5ths full" sure seems right.  1/16000 shutter speed? There goes the need for ND filters, most of the time. Direct dial exposure compensation?  Magnification in playback now not requiring DNG + JPEG? Yes, and yes.  Can't wait to get home from work and download this. Thank you to all who helped make the improvements, and to Leica for listening.

• Like 2

Question to SL users... although I don't have an SL, I have briefly used it in store and I noticed there are crop ratios for image formats outside of 3:2 such 6:7, 1:1 etc. The usefulness of having this ability in camera is great because it allows you to frame images more accurately at the time of shooting.

I had suggested to the Leica Technical department that perhaps they could include 4:5 as an additional ratio too and am curious if anyone has noticed this (or not) in their SLs after the firmware update.

Would love to know!

Cheers!

Downloading now.  I'll check to see if the buggered R lens profiles are fixed.  The release doesn't single them out, but talks about "other bug fixes."

scott

PS.  Result of checking the SX 90 R ASPH -- no ring of smoke around the profile!

Of course my files have started their numbers at L10000000000001 again.  I hope there will be a list of revisions to the manual to sort out the new options. 

HI Scott

They should be fixed - there was discussion about it during the beta, and my impression is that the ones for the longer focal lengths are all sorted.