Leica T Camera case

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does the inside of the case smooth so it won't scratch the body?

What about the tripod plate?

The case has a nice fit and the inside is very smooth.

It doesn't come with a tripod screw but it's easy to install one. They are a few bucks each.

20160414_201920s_zpsjarrerat.jpg

• 1 month later...

would u please post a picture of the camera back, what are the twp wholes for?

The case has a nice fit and the inside is very smooth.

It doesn't come with a tripod screw but it's easy to install one. They are a few bucks each.

20160414_201920s_zpsjarrerat.jpg

There is an alternative that works very well if you want to take the time. While I now have a nice leather case that must be removed for both battery and SD card, I was using a very satisfying alternative. Order the Leica Snap case. Warning: It is hard to put on and a real bear to remove, so if you go this way, plan on leaving it on. Make a cut-through at the point slightly in front of where the SD card door is hinged. The cutoff piece can now be attached to the case with a self-adhesive piece of black fuzzy velcro which will act as a hinge. I chose this material because it enhances the grip. Next, cut away the part of the bottom of the Snap case that covers the battery and the battery release lever. You can now access both the battery and the SD card while having excellent body protection and the nice grippy surface that the Snap case provides. As for as the door that covers the SD card door, simply apply a velcro tab to the door and use a velcro strip to attach to the bottom of the exposed camera body using a small piece of velcro that you stick onto the body.

This may sound like a cluge, and to some it may be, but unless there is very close inspection, it simply has the neat look of a Leica T with a Snap case. Why Leica didn't think of this option in the first place really causes one to wonder, because the unmodified Snap case is practically unusable due to the lack of easy access to the SD card and battery. I bought my Snap case for about 1/2 price and I suspect you can find an inexpensive one as well. The cut marks that you see are not seen when installed on the camera and with greater care I could have avoided them Tools: small drill to make holes locating the corners of the bottom cut + an Xacto hole saw + a fine emory board to clean up plastic burrs on the cut edges.

Why do I now have a leather case that I have to remove rather than stick with my very convenient and nice looking modified Snap case? Probably the best explanation is that I have a leather fetish for things photographic.

Jim

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jevidon

There is an alternative that works very well if you want to take the time. While I now have a nice leather case that must be removed for both battery and SD card, I was using a very satisfying alternative. Order the Leica Snap case. Warning: It is hard to put on and a real bear to remove, so if you go this way, plan on leaving it on. Make a cut-through at the point slightly in front of where the SD card door is hinged. The cutoff piece can now be attached to the case with a self-adhesive piece of black fuzzy velcro which will act as a hinge. I chose this material because it enhances the grip. Next, cut away the part of the bottom of the Snap case that covers the battery and the battery release lever. You can now access both the battery and the SD card while having excellent body protection and the nice grippy surface that the Snap case provides. As for as the door that covers the SD card door, simply apply a velcro tab to the door and use a velcro strip to attach to the bottom of the exposed camera body using a small piece of velcro that you stick onto the body.

This may sound like a cluge, and to some it may be, but unless there is very close inspection, it simply has the neat look of a Leica T with a Snap case. Why Leica didn't think of this option in the first place really causes one to wonder, because the unmodified Snap case is practically unusable due to the lack of easy access to the SD card and battery. I bought my Snap case for about 1/2 price and I suspect you can find an inexpensive one as well. The cut marks that you see are not seen when installed on the camera and with greater care I could have avoided them Tools: small drill to make holes locating the corners of the bottom cut + an Xacto hole saw + a fine emory board to clean up plastic burrs on the cut edges.

Why do I now have a leather case that I have to remove rather than stick with my very convenient and nice looking modified Snap case? Probably the best explanation is that I have a leather fetish for things photographic.

Jim

attachicon.gifSnap Case 1.jpg

attachicon.gifSnap Case 2.jpg

I tried this modification.  For me, didn't work as the case no longer held tightly to the camera on the cut end.  Too loose.  It's too bad because prefer the feel of the snap cases and they more fully cover the camera body.  They are an absolute pain to take on and off.  I have just resorted to not fiddling with it.  I may break down and get an Arte Di Mano case eventually for cold weather.  Have that for both my Q and M and the quality can't be beat.

I also have an Arte di Mano for my T now and it is excellent. I was able to find a used one in perfect condition. It does a better job of covering the camera than either the Gariz or the A. Pelle which I think are too short.

BTW, my modified Snap case continued to fit very well and wasn't loose at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

For several months I have been looking for a black leather Gariz half case for my T; it was out of order everywhere in the US!

So finally, I ordered it from Gariz in South Korea.

I received it today and it is beautiful. I wanted  this Gariz specially because it is a thin and a good quality leather, not increasing the size of the camera.

But here is my unexpected problem! My daughter looks very disappointed!... Knowing I was looking for a case, she had something in mind as a surprise, it seems!

Therefore, if any you folks is interested, please PM me. 

Edited by Louis

Check this out. I got this case. It works well and is relatively cheap. Please see the pics below. It has all the necessary openings. I had to trim off a bit so that the Visoflex would connect properly. Sorry for the dust :-) 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hand-made-Leather-Half-Body-Set-Camera-Case-Bag-Cover-Suit-For-Leica-T-Typ701-Hard/32703943466.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.9.gqy6ka

Check this out. I got this case. It works well and is relatively cheap. Please see the pics below. It has all the necessary openings. I had to trim off a bit so that the Visoflex would connect properly. Sorry for the dust :-) 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hand-made-Leather-Half-Body-Set-Camera-Case-Bag-Cover-Suit-For-Leica-T-Typ701-Hard/32703943466.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.9.gqy6ka

attachicon.gif_2010048_DxO.jpgattachicon.gif_2010049_DxO.jpgattachicon.gif_2010051_DxO-1.jpgattachicon.gif_2010052_DxO-1.jpg

Wow; really beautiful! Too bad I didn't see it before.

But finally, I decided to keep the Gariz case for myself. It is very thing with a good quality leather. On T, it looks almost like a leather skin of X and M cameras!  ;)

I also very much like Angelo Pelle case, but he responded too late to me and I had ordered and used the gariz case. ... My daughter must now think of something else for my birthday! LOL

I still maintain that for the gorgeous look and feel of the early days, I prefer the  handmade LeicaTime case by Louigi - fold down flap to protect LCD is the best feature for my style of shooting, This case makes me want to shoot more photos.

I hear from Leica USA that the set of new half-cases for the T /TL is available. Leica item number 18578.

Yup, you can get at the battery compartment without removing the case, but Leica USA tells me that you cannot screw the camera with halfcase onto a tripod ... Hard to believe.

Would appreciate comment from anyone who has bought / seen the new half-cases.

I bought the original T halfcase (slate gray) ... Bad idea... Too stiff, too bulky, too slippery... Hard to get a good grip.

John