What is the most used lens on your M?

HenrikP

My 2ct:
50 Noctilux 0.95: too heavy for an M IMO (on an SL it is however well balanced)
50 Noctilux 1.0: less heavy but not very sharp wide open

50 APO: great lens, but IMO too expensive for me to justify it for my hobby only for street photography 

50 Lux ASPH: IMO best balanced product for price, low light, sharpness and weight.

I owned them all, but kept only the 50lx

John

• Like 4

It is interesting that members are voicing preferences without stating what are they using the lens to shoot. The photographic preference dictate lens choice.

For me most commonly used lens is 28cron ASPH. It is used for general purpose shooting outdoors (hikes, walks).

After I bought 35 FLE one year ago, I thought I will use it more often but I continued with 28mm. I used to be 50mm guy in DSLR world and own 50lux but I hardly use it. For me these two have become specialized lenses. 35FLE is used when I go to evening gathering. For me it is people lens (vs 28mm which is environment lens). I use 50lux when I need to shoot pictures with one main person (ex: my wife) in it. For me it is single person lens. Since I carry a single lens most of the time, this categorization helps.

However, I should add that I don't feel handicapped if I am stuck with "wrong" lens since there is no wrong lens. I can shoot single person portrait with 28mm and use 50mm for outdoors as well. It just requires more careful shooting.

Was it a long winded reply to a simple question? :D

Edited by jmahto
  • Like 6

The lens I use the most on the M-P varies between the 1972 Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2 and a new Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 I bought a few months ago.

I thought I'd use the Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH more, but I'm beginning to think I should have acquired a WATE instead. I might do a partial trade... 

• Like 1

It used to be 35 mm when I only had one lens. Now I am a 50 mm guy. I love the 50 mm because it is so difficult to master. It gives you a quite natural and unspectacular perspective. I have the Summilux and the Apo and I prefer the APO over the Summilux. Thats however a matter of personal preferences. If you like a reportage look  getting very close to your subject and at the same time having much content in your frame go for a 35 or even wider. 

The typical characteristics of focal lengths which are far from "normal"  , i.e. compression or the adverse, will become boring after a while. In my opinion that is for example true for lenses wider than 35.

Best regards Theodor 

• Like 2

The lens I use the most on the M-P varies between the 1972 Summilux 35mm f/1.4 v2 and a new Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 I bought a few months ago.

I thought I'd use the Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH more, but I'm beginning to think I should have acquired a WATE instead. I might do a partial trade... 

You won't regret a WATE.

• Like 3

If I could have only one, it would be my pre-ASPH Summilux 35mm. That said, I didn't buy an ILC only to use one lens and typically carry a 28, 50, and 75 or 90 as well. One of the huge advantages of the M system is the ability to carry four or five lenses in the space of one or two CaNikons. I often carry a 28, 35 50 and 90 with the M in the tiny Billingham Digital bag, which can barely fit a Pentax 645 with a 35mm attached. Lot of power in a small space. 

• Like 1