Has this forum gone mad?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I posted a link to an article I wrote about the limited edition Nikon SP I just bought - apologising for the fact it was not a Leica and not showing any photos of it. The article I linked to discussed the history of Nikon SP, and has discussion of the Leica system as it was and is, in my eyes, the better one. Even though the Nikon SP is not a Leica I expect it is of some interest to many Leica rangefinder users, and if not they don't need to read about it.

But without warning or explanation my post was just removed and I presume censored from this forum. I am amazed at this low level philistinism. If this forum is to be so brand orientated and intolerant that one cannot discuss anything else then it is no longer is a place for me. Such narrow mindedness not only insults the users of this forum who can think for themselves, but also the photographic tradition and Leica itself which (in its history at least) is above such philistinism.

• Like 6

Hi Nick,

I read your two part review of the SP you bought and look forward to seeing it at a future meeting (I did envy/hate you when I read it by the way :-) ). I am sure most members here appreciate good cameras and the tactile feedback from handling something made with attention to detail and quality craftsmanship and that Leica for them is just an example of that, but not the only example.

However, this is the Leica forum and so I take all my non-Leica musings to Micro 4/3, Rangefinder, Nikon, APUG etc. I do not question this strong mindset of banning all things non-Leica, but simply accept it. It is the loss of the forum for missing out directly on postings of topics of interest to the people who frequent this forum.

Rest assured - most of use many other forums and blogs to stay in touch with reality.

• Like 3

Thanks Ravi. I appreciate your position - I guess I have always been much more of a questioner and less of a follower myself (which sometimes gets me in trouble). I am sure I have discussed Canon, Contax and Zeiss rangefinders or RF lenses on here before without being censored, so I am a little surprised at whatever internet trigger happy deleter has sought in his (I assume) wisdom to delete - but I await an explanation from said person

Edited by Nick De Marco

Given that Leica won over the Nikon rangefinder, I should think that the article was valuable. Sorry about the deletion!

FWIW, I felt liberated when I put the S* aside. The wheel focusing was murder.

• Like 2

I actually love the wheel focusing on my Contax II - but I did have it serviced and it was smooth after that. My original Zorki 4K tore my fingers apart with the winding and rewinding knobs. My M3 in comparison is heavenly and focusing for old eyes like mine still works.

Here you go ... a discussion about non-Leica cameras, but seeing as we mention Leica in a good way, hopefully it stays.

PS -  my job role is in ensuring people follow the rules while yours is probably to challenge the rules and rulings for your client.

Edited by Sandokan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

.......Such narrow mindedness not only insults the users of this forum who can think for themselves......

Well. it's hardly the first time someone who can do here, does, is it!   If your new camera is one of the 'limited edition' SP's that Nikon produced around 2005, then it's a replica anyway and probably of limited interest to many, nice though it may be.

Try posting some images and a link to your write up in Henry's "I Like Film" thread.  It's an oasis of interest in a desert of mediocrity there, common sense does prevail through tolerance of non-Leica content.

• Like 1

Nick, don't take it personally.

I've posted about other cameras before, or photos with other cameras in response to some discussion and had said posts removed.

But I've seen others do the same and the posts remain.

There's no consistency, it's just whether one of the mods spots what you've done who takes exception to it!

Just start a new bag thread and slip in a mention of your Nikon and it'll be fine!

• Like 1

I would have thought that if it was posted in one of the more general discussion threads it should have been kept in, or moved to an appropriate part of the forum if not. It is clearly of interest to Leica rangefinder users.

We have discussed all sorts of non-Leica cameras here over the years, and have a thread of photographs containing less and less Leica images so I don't see why we can't have one regarding a classic non-Leica rangefinder.

Regardless, we now have a thread here about classic non-Lica rangefinders within a thread of a different name.

Can we please have a moderator's input here?

Edited by MarkP
  • Like 1