Thorsten Overgaard "Lightroon Survival Kit"

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can someone off line give me a review of Thorsten Overgaard  "Lightroom Survival Kit"

It's priced a little too high to not ask for a few unbiased opinions. 

I have gone to LR from time to time.  In the beginning I didn't like the results. Learning,Lightroom or any new software slows me down so I go back to  my tried and true methods.

My work flow is Bridge/ Camera Raw/ Photoshop This system has worked just fine for the last 10 years....Once in a while a send some photos into LR just to batch size etc.

LR has come a long way and I feel it's time to give it a try again 

Thanks in advance for all you help and advice.

Edited by ECohen

Can't speak to the kit, but if you want to learn about new (or old) LR features, watch Jullieanne Kost's (from Adobe) free video tutorials....practical and easy to follow.  She also deals with Photoshop, and its interaction with LR.

Thorsten has written many times here about his LR workflow, which produces lovely results, but does not really take full advantage of the many LR tools that LR provides (increasingly with more recent versions) and that Julieanne covers.  No right or wrong....just his preference for a simplified workflow.

Jeff

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

I purchased the LR6 Survival Kit with the massive 80% (not exactly sure of the percentage but this is ball park) discount.

IMO even at the substantially reduced price it is not worth the money, much better material i.e. Kost available for free on the internet.

Its just a 227 page pdf padded out with lots of useless or basic stuff.

• Like 2

I have been a completely satisfied and happy user of Adobe's LIGHTROOM software for years ( presently using LR5, since I don't feel the need for any of the new & additional features of LR 6 ) but recently enhanced my skills and knowledge of the software with the best book yet on the subject:

CREATIVE WORKFLOW IN LIGHTROOM

Reading this book chapter by chapter at my computer while practicing, and much more importantly understanding what Jason is explaining clearly in this very readable book has done more to allow me to maximize Lightroom's capabilities than anything else so far.............other than Jason's superb seminars at the Camera West Walnut Creek store.

Published in 2016 by FOCAL PRESS, ISBN 978-1-138-69553-5.

Highly recommended - and in my opinion far better than anything else printed on the subject to date.

JZG

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

While I recommended Kost videos when this thread started 7 months ago, I also gain much from books, and routinely go back to one or the other if needs arise.

For those starting out and preferring books, Scott Kelby is a good resource, as is Martin Evening, mentioned above.  

For those who use LR and like to print, which is my end game, two books from Jeff Schewe are terrific....The Digital Negative, and The Digital Print.

And for an extended video series that also covers the complete print workflow, the 12+ hour video 'Camera to Screen and Print' by Michael Reichmann (RIP) and Jeff Schewe is comprehensive and full of gems.

The basic tools are easy to learn, just as in the darkroom days....lots of resources available.  But at the end of the day, nothing beats hands-on experience, combined with a good eye and good judgment.  Just like learning to use a camera....techniques don't make the photographer....but they are a necessary start. Learning when and where, and to what degree, to employ those techniques is far more difficult.  That either comes naturally or can be aided by workshops, tutoring and looking at lots of photos and art of all kinds.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

Fully endorse Jeff S's comments above, but the 12+ hours of LR video on The Luminous Landscape are terrific value for the small monthly membership fee. Also worth watching the two part video of the late Michael Reichmann, Mark Dubovoy and Shaun Reid discussing Leica M(240) and Rangefinders which is one of many videos available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For a structured deep dive into what Lightroom does and can do I have used the videos by George Jardine (mulita.com).

For designing a practical workflow I got a lot out of Gavin Gough's Ebook "Photographer's workflow for Lightroom".

In my opinion they are both very good value for money. You can then supplement with free video's like Kost's for answering ad hoc questions.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You can batch resize in PS,  open all photos,  go to file, scripts, image processor,  check open photos,  save as JPEG, pick max size, enter.

The work flow you and I use already does what LR may catch up to some day.  In the mean time, you will lose photos, fight with catalog,  etc.   

It is my understanding, that Thorsten O. book address question "what to do to get result", while Jeff S. and Martin E. books educate on "how to do". One needs a general understanding of a goals and workflow to get results.

PS is not a a substitution to Lr. Adobe Camera Raw is a replacement to certain extent. There are differences between Lr and ACR user enterfaces. Today I prefer image selection and sorting capabilities of Lr.

The work flow you and I use already does what LR may catch up to some day.  In the mean time, you will lose photos, fight with catalog,  etc.   

I have no such problems with LR, with less and less need over the years to use PS.  Whatever works.

Jeff