Focus tab replacement

michaelwj

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I'm thinking about picking up a Canadian 35 pre-asph summilux locally. The price is good, the glass is clean, but it has a crack in the middle of the plastic focus tab. I know that it will bug me long term. Are these tabs replaceable? Is it easy, expensive? I've seen some info regarding the 2/35v4, is it the same? Any thoughts before I pull the trigger would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Uhm... also my Elmarit 28 III had a crack in the middle of the focus tab, and here's is it after some years of usage...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A repair shop asked me 120 Euros for replacing... haven't yet decided to do...

• Like 1

I once replaced the triangular tab of the Cron-c 40/2. It was attached to the focus ring by a small screw that needs to be loosened from the inside of the focus ring. So I had to take the lens unit out from the focusing unit of the lens. 

I suspect that the focusing tab of your lens is attached in a similar way..which means you'll have to take the lens apart to a certain extent. If you've done this before then I don't see much harm. But I think you are also perfectly justified to have it repaired by either Leica ppl or some 3rd party service. 

• Like 3

Hi All,

I'm thinking about picking up a Canadian 35 pre-asph summilux locally. The price is good, the glass is clean, but it has a crack in the middle of the plastic focus tab.

Not intending to interrupt the thread, but did not the lens have a metal lock button in the tab? What generation had that?

Edited by pico

Not intending to interrupt the thread, but did not the lens have a metal lock button in the tab? What generation had that?

Hi pico,

v1 had the infinity lock, v2 had the plastic tab similar to the v4 cron.

I'd prefer a v1, but the cost is too high. I don't know why they changed it.

M

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

I'm thinking about picking up a Canadian 35 pre-asph summilux locally. The price is good, the glass is clean, but it has a crack in the middle of the plastic focus tab. I know that it will bug me long term. Are these tabs replaceable? Is it easy, expensive? I've seen some info regarding the 2/35v4, is it the same? Any thoughts before I pull the trigger would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

These tabs are replaceable - spare parts can be difficult to source though for a private person.

It is best to get a quote on replacement cost from the most convenient shops that do this work around you.

The lens you mention may indeed benefit from other work that is easily done during the replacement, which would not add much to the actual cost of replacement (the actual spare part is something along the 5-15 USD cost, the biggest expense lies in the entire dismantling of the focus mount, necessary to get to the tab).

Uhm... also my Elmarit 28 III had a crack in the middle of the focus tab, and here's is it after some years of usage...

attachicon.gifElmarit_28_my2.jpg

A repair shop asked me 120 Euros for replacing... haven't yet decided to do...

Luigi, you may source the focus tab and do the work yourself if you are comfortable with working inside these lenses.

120 EUR sounds like not just a replacement of the actual broken part but cleaning the focus helicoid and re-lubing it along the way (these focus tabs are mostly fixed by a little screw or two, from the inside of the distance scale ring, hence a total disassembly of the focus mount is on order).

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for your replies. It's nice to know it can be replaced if needed.

I picked up the lens today, the optics look very clean, and I shot a few shots on an M9 they had and it looked like it was performing well.

I ended up getting it for $1600 AUD, which taking into account replacing the tab is still a good deal in my opinion.

Menos, I think when it gets the tab replaced I will get it serviced a bit too, I'm sure it could use one.

Thanks again everyone, I'll report back if/when I get it fixed.

Michael

Excellent, Michael! I hope you enjoy the 35mm Summilux as much as I do.

The lens has a dual personality. Wide open, and stopped down. Each has

advantages.

Thanks for the info. Mine has the locking infinity tab. I don't think there

are any optical differences up to the Aspherical.

Excellent, Michael! I hope you enjoy the 35mm Summilux as much as I do.

The lens has a dual personality. Wide open, and stopped down. Each has

advantages.

Thanks for the info. Mine has the locking infinity tab. I don't think there

are any optical differences up to the Aspherical.

Hi pico,

I made the mistake of borrowing a friends for few weeks. I didn't want to give it back and ever since I did the little voice in my head has been nagging at me. I became too much to bear!

As for the differences, there is a lot of the usual Leica mystery around its production.

Some stories say that the infinity lock version (V1) is superior and that that at some point the glass became unavailable so they changed it a bit to the V2 with reduced performance. Then I hear that later ones approached this high performance again. There are of course coating changes, and it was produced over 40+ years over 2 continents, so there are plenty of opportunities for undocumented changes. 

On top of all this, sample variation appears high, but I don't know if there was variation off the production line, or that the older specimens are now over 50 years old and have had a hard life, or if some users just don't have a calibrated rangefinder?

I'm sure someone else knows more about it than me!

Either way, I'm a happy camper.

M

Edited by michaelwj

• 5 months later...

So time for a follow up.

I have been using the lens extensively, but the aperture was a bit sticky and the cracked focus tab could be replaced and I felt it was in need of a general clean, so I sent it off to my local repairman, Vic Plant in Melbourne. Before I sent it off, he checked that he could get the focus tab and all seemed good (the part is about A$20, it's just a piece of plastic after all). He said he's done heaps of them, they commonly break. A few days later and I get a call, the part is no longer available for him, and Leica Australia are no longer authorised to replace the part. WTF! It has to go to Germany for the replacement at a minimum cost of $350 not including freight - freight with insurance would be close to $150 each way, Australia is a long way away from Europe! Add that to the month(s) that it would take and I said F that. He agreed and is doing the CLA work next week.

But, this got me thinking, for A$600 I think I can get that part custom made out of whatever I want. Why not a black anodised aluminium one so it doesn't keep breaking? Anyway, when I get my lens back I might make some enquiries and cost it up.

Looking forward to getting my lens back now!

But, this got me thinking, for A$600 I think I can get that part custom made out of whatever I want. Why not a black anodised aluminium one so it doesn't keep breaking? Anyway, when I get my lens back I might make some enquiries and cost it up.

Michael, there is someone on ebay who appears to be supplying such tabs, but not for your lens - but it might be worth dropping them a line to see if its a possibility - search Leica lens tab.

• Like 1

Michael, there is someone on ebay who appears to be supplying such tabs, but not for your lens - but it might be worth dropping them a line to see if its a possibility - search Leica lens tab.

Thanks, hadn't seen those. I asked them, will see what they reply. I wonder how different they are to the 40mm summicron tab? If anything I think the radius might be a little different...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, hadn't seen those. I asked them, will see what they reply. I wonder how different they are to the 40mm summicron tab? If anything I think the radius might be a little different...

Check with independent repair people as shops like Don Goldberg or Sherry Krauter may have the odd spare part and might be willing to sell it to you or your repair guy.

I find this only recently introduced policy to stop supplying spare parts to independents and restricting certain repair procedures very unfortunate as it worsens the big issue of insufficient service and repair on a global scale.

I for one have to time my repair and services for travels I do back to Germany - there is no way I can ever get reasonable repair times as one would get from other manufacturers.

Many times already I was in need of an odd spare part and had a very hard time to get it - it just makes not sense at all to ship a whole product around the planet when a tiny spare part is so much more efficient to ship for a local repair.

Here really common sense collides with policy.

While I sent the lens to an independent, word is that Leicas authorised repair facility in Australia is not authorised to do that repair! That is the weird part. Why even have a local repair place? From my understanding all they can do is sensor cleaning, everything else goes to Germany.