Will Leica do a Q with a 35mm focal length instead of a 28?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am long time Leica person with an M240, 4 lenses. I am getting older, don't feel as willing to haul lenses and cameras all over the place and am thinking the Q might work for me as a basic carry-around, everyday camera--an upgrade to my very good Fuji X100s. 

Question: I like 28mm, but worry that it might be too wide for me. I have always loved the 35mm focal length.

Would it be reasonable to think about waiting to see if Leica will come out with another version of the Q, but this time, with 35mm instead of 28mm, or is that highly unlikely?

The Q is perfect for 35MM as you can see what is outside of the frame like on your M and still have a lot of pixels to play with. If you are a 35mm shooter, this should be more efficient for framing than a Q with a 35mm lens. my 2 cents. 

For me I like a lot the 50mm too and the Q gives OK results for this focal length too, it is just a bit light in pixel size (7M pixels or so)

• Like 1

Q is not like the X100 in an important -- but subjective -- aspect: its operation and feel in your hand.  Things such as the location of the aperture ring and the way manual focus works makes for a completely different feel.    That, IMHO, is more important than the 28mm vs 35mm field of view.

For me the Q is a better fit and was a welcome upgrade to the X100.   I have no doubt that others would be happier with the X100.

• Like 2

You can get the Q and shoot with its 35mm crop mode, you end up with 15mp high quality images that are much sharper than the X100 (which delivers 16mp files), and if you need to go wider the 28mm is there. 

I don't think Leica will make a 35mm version of this camera since it's too close from the Q, most likely a 50mm if that ever happens.

Edited by Voxen
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am long time Leica person with an M240, 4 lenses. I am getting older, don't feel as willing to haul lenses and cameras all over the place and am thinking the Q might work for me as a basic carry-around, everyday camera--an upgrade to my very good Fuji X100s. 

Question: I like 28mm, but worry that it might be too wide for me. I have always loved the 35mm focal length.

Would it be reasonable to think about waiting to see if Leica will come out with another version of the Q, but this time, with 35mm instead of 28mm, or is that highly unlikely?

http://www.digitalversus.com/digital-camera/meet-designers-behind-leica-q-typ-116-a2231.html  … suggests that Leica Camera AG could consider 35mm and 50mm versions of the Q and that 28mm was initially chosen because of its relative compactness. But … bear in mind there is always a long design and lead time for any new model and it could take many months to reach the production stage. 

dunk

I agree that the Q is very different than the X100. The haptic of the Q is so engaging compared to the X100 that for me it is night and day.

Manual focus on the Q is exceptional and a sub feature on the X100, and indeed the APC format does not help for subject isolation on the X100.

It seems also that as expected the lens is a true Leica lens with beautiful bokey and Leica colors. I could not get to like the X100S and T colors. Only the first X100 was very good in this dimension, but had so many other usability issues... 

• Like 2

I agree with all the comments comparing the Q and X100. I owned the original X100 and the X100T. Loved both at the time albeit with their limitations. The Q is a dramatic upgrade and a true joy to use. The Bokeh is exceptional. Manual focus a real plus and fun. IQ superb. I'm very happy I upgraded to the Q from X100's.

• Like 2

I agree with all the comments comparing the Q and X100. I owned the original X100 and the X100T. Loved both at the time albeit with their limitations. The Q is a dramatic upgrade and a true joy to use. The Bokeh is exceptional. Manual focus a real plus and fun. IQ superb. I'm very happy I upgraded to the Q from X100's.

Totally agree, have both. Q is such a pleasure the X100 less so, same for the output, much prefer the Q.

I'd certainly entertain a purchase of a 50mm Q and carry both. That would give me two great lenses for far less £s than an M + 28/50 on bodies I'm comfortable with. Lets hope.

Personally, I always view my Q as a 28-35-50 camera as the 24mpx sensor can be cropped quite severely and still produce decent sized images for printing.

Or are you planning on using a camera like the Q for billboards?

Agree. I'm not interested one bit in a longer focal length Q. The general adage of "Get closer" works.

Using the in camera crop to 35 or 50 is adequate. Yes, at lower resolution, but there's still plenty of pixels

and the tools for modest image enlargement are getting better. I'm enjoying the size and simplicity of the current

Q. I do have a Canon 5D3 and long lenses for wildlife so I guess that makes it easier for me to enjoy the Q

as is. My 2 cents.

• Like 1

If Leica were to make a Q with longer focal, I would hope for 50mm. Then crop modes for 75 and 90.

What a concept, 2 Q's with focals covered from 28 to 90 with overlap at 50 - where you could shoot with either one of the cameras!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1