Slip On / Push On Filters

@McLeica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi...this is going to be a long shot, but does anyone know where I could source push on UV filters at 42mm?

I know Zeiss made push on filters way back when and am sure this is going to be a vintage item if they even exist.

Any views from this esteemed forum?

Thanks

Matt

You need a Series 6 or Series 7 42mm push on adapter and then use a Series 6 or 7 filter. There seem to be plenty on Ebay, search for 'Kodak' or 'Wratten' for filters and adapters but many adapters where non-branded in their day.

Steve

• Like 1

I feel your pain. Been looking for odd push-ons for Ikontas. The 42mm are the most common, most of them being Zeiss, and UV is the hardest to find. :(

I might resort to custom made to use standard filters.

Yup, it's a tough one. I'll check this out. I can find lots of close up lenses and coloured ones but UV, tough.

Edited by Rapierwitman

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Solution finally found to the 35mm Summilux Pre ASPH no filter thread problem.

Kodak Series VI 42mm push on adaptor and Leica Series VI UVa filter and ring depending on how low profile you want to go.

Better than the hood (which doesn't really help flare) and hopefully no vignetting.

Now, anyone got any suggestions as to where I can get this coated black?!?!?  :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by @McLeica
  • Like 1

"On this side" we have powder-coaters, or anodizing companies, like the window joinery manufacturers, perhaps try them.

Good to see you got a working solution.

Gary

The filter cost me £5, although actually getting it was a real chore, so powder coating is going to be way out of budget. 

I think I'm going to try some matte black hobby primer. Very thin layer and spray on. Will see how it goes.  :D

• Like 1

Powder coating would be too thick so without the best option of having it anodised you are better off with a coat of paint. Don't use a hobby paint, go to a car accessory shop and buy the best premium brand of satin black acrylic in an aerosol you can find. It dries down a lot so make sure you give it two or three nice wet coats with five minutes between coats. Put is somewhere warm and you should be able to use it next day.

Steve

• Like 1

Here's the finished article, which I'll now leave to cure for a while. Not a bad colour match.

Does anyone have any views on vignetting? It's a 35mm pre ASPH and from what I can tell not a lot of differnce between this and the 12504 hood to be frank. I haven't got an M digital to test it on. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by @McLeica
  • Like 1

I can't help you on whether it will vignette, but it looks like it worked out well, Mathew.

Just did a test roll at all apertures and I can't see any vignetting or edge darkness at all.

All looking good!  :D

• Like 4

Oops, wrote too soon. Slight dark corners wide open and about 2 stops down after scanning the negs. I may have a solution for this though.

I'm going to try a thinner front ring on the adaptior and run another roll through.

Bear with me, I will solve this!

• Like 1