White frames

Olsen

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My Leica M P(240) produces practically 'white frames' (overexposed) every time the camera has been idle for a while.  Irritating, since I then have to check every frame.  Do others here have the same problem?  Is this something we can expect is being solved by an software upgrade?

Mine doesn't do that, and I don't think there are many cameras which do it. In other words, it seems to be rather a problem of your individual camera than a general one which can be addressed with new software. Could be a component failure, at a guess.

• Like 2

While there are several reports of issues involving "black frames", this is the first report I have read involving "white frames".

Other than a trip to the service center, the things that I always try when encountering some sort of unknown gremlin with any camera are:

1)  a factory reset

2)  a different and name brand fast SD card

3)  a new freshly charged battery

4)  a different lens

Test in full manual mode to avoid potential software issues.

Battery level - nor card type have any importance.  I will try factory reset - just to eliminate that.  To me it seems that 'black' or 'white' up start frames seems to be the same problem, but with different outcome.  I am on a world cruise.  If an upgrade fix is not in the pipeline - my camera goes back to Leica as soon as i get home.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If the problem only appears after some idle time, a simple workaround could be to "waste" a shot whenever you raise the camera to your eye if the last shot is more than the "critical" time in the past.

Does the problem depend on how you measure the exposure? If so, selecting another exposure type might work as well, perhaps at the cost of a slight delay in the camera firing.

White frames, black frames, what next? - blue frames! Whilst taking a succession of single frame the shutter made that feeble 'limp hand shake' type of thing and I was rewarded with a blue frame, entirely blue. Whilst I quite like the colour blue, I'd prefer something with more detail! What next!?!?!  

White frames, black frames, what next? - blue frames! Whilst taking a succession of single frame the shutter made that feeble 'limp hand shake' type of thing and I was rewarded with a blue frame, entirely blue. Whilst I quite like the colour blue, I'd prefer something with more detail! What next!?!?!  

Aah...you must have the Yves Klein special edition :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have had yet a terrible week with my M P (240).  Sailing through the Suez canal only about 30% of the pictures were close to 'right' on exposure.  Another 30% were all white.  On a bus tour from Port Said to Cairo; the same.  I had to keep live view on to have control.  Which drained the battery - which went flat at around 14.00 and ca 6,7 GB of shots.  From then on I used my IPhone....

​My plan is to have my M P (240) repaired - and sold.  If anyone will have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried to deliver my M-P for repair.  That was impossible.  The dealer did not take Leica complaints & repair anymore (?).  The Norwegian importer Bresson, wanted 'documentation'.  Which I hadn't.  I have spent hours deleting all white frames through my 4 months world cruise from my files.  Hundreds of them! 

​But my word for it was not good enough.  I have to fill a card or two - with white files.  As documentation.

​With 'red line' on my M8, corrosion on my M9 -and a malfunctioning light meter on my M-P, I am about to run out of patience with Leica.

I have had yet a terrible week with my M P (240). Sailing through the Suez canal only about 30% of the pictures were close to 'right' on exposure. Another 30% were all white. On a bus tour from Port Said to Cairo; the same. I had to keep live view on to have control. Which drained the battery - which went flat at around 14.00 and ca 6,7 GB of shots. From then on I used my IPhone....

​My plan is to have my M P (240) repaired - and sold. If anyone will have it.

Goodness gracious me. What did you find interesting to shoot between Port Said and Cairo? I always felt sorry for the tourists going that roads and thanked God that I survived.

Steve

'Sailing through the Suez Canal is like sailing through a war memorial with horrible metal frames of tanks and armoured vehicles.  15.000 soldiers died there.

Now there is a new canal.  the northern part was opened February this year. We were among the first ships going through it.  ​Port Said is a fascinating city.  So is Cairo, possibly among the larges cities in the world.  You get the Pyramides and Cairo Museum for free.

​So, sure, there was a lot to take pictures of. 

About 30% of the shots came out as white blanks, another 30% was off with a click stop up or down.  The rest was fine.  That was after I found out that it was best to have live view on and check that the camera was up date with the exposure.  Which drained the battery out at around 14.00.  - From then on I shot with IPhone....

Yes, I did, Jaap. 

​My experience with the new and larger battery was quite good.  Up until this day. 

​On this Cairo tour the camera was close to impossible to use.  Due to that most 'first' shots after the camera had been resting for a while - went white'.  I had to keep Live View on at all time.  That did it.

Hi Olsen, I'm sory to hear that you are having trouble with the camera. It does sound like the shutter may need to be replaced. Now, if the dealer network is not helping you I would suggest that you get on to Leica directly. My local dealer is brilliant but I still deal with Leica directly to avoid any confusion over any issues that I have. You can then email in your white frame photos for their technicians to examin.

In the mean time, as you were away for 4 months you may not have updated to the latest firmware. I would suggest that you try that and see if it improves the issue. At this stage you have nothing to lose.

Yes, I did, Jaap. 

​My experience with the new and larger battery was quite good.  Up until this day. 

​On this Cairo tour the camera was close to impossible to use.  Due to that most 'first' shots after the camera had been resting for a while - went white'.  I had to keep Live View on at all time.  That did it.

I understand. I normally carry a number of batteries. In my case it has not been unknown to drain a battery through user error, and I once forgot a charger in a hotel room. It took a week to catch up with me, fortunately I always take spare charger as well.

Worst I've had is a shot not popping up on the screen immediately after a shot (black) - but was in fact captured and available in playback, on the card etc.

The only white-outs I've had were user error:  dense bright fog with ISO still on 6400 from the night before.  D'oh!