Greetings from Brighton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and not yet a Leica owner. Though I have owned Leica glass.

I'm hoping that I'll be contributing lots in the near future. Mostly posting images and general chit-chat. The technical side of photography isn't a strong point of mine, as I only started doing photography as hobby a little under two years ago.

Hopefully I won't plague you all with too many questions, but I do have a few. Firstly, I'm looking to buy a Leica body. I've narrowed it down to either a M9 or a M240. I hoping someone on here will be able to help me narrow it down to the final pick, as sadly I don't think there's anywhere near me that rents Leica's for me to trial over a longer period. Rather than just being able to do test photos in a camera store.

Here's a couple of the test photos:

M240+50mm cron

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

M9+50mm cron

I really liked both cameras. And it was a joy how easy in was to manual focus compared to my Nikon Df and the Sony A7ii I owned before that. My conundrum between the two is that the M9 is a fair bit cheaper, but the extra usability at higher iso's with the M240 could be useful. 

I guess if I show examples of what I do shoot it might help you all help me. The following photos were all taken with either the Df or the A7ii, with a mix of manual and auto focus glass... Oh, and I'll be keeping the Df as it's real low light ability is second to none.

• Like 1

Here's some more as I reached the upload limit:

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! Nice work. 

I can't help with your choice between an M9 or M240, as I only use film Leica's, but a new M is generally expected later this year so s/h prices of the M will most likely fall a bit when that happens, as some will have to trade in for the newest model. 

If you opt for an M9 you might want to look for one that's had the newest sensor fitted, to save you the hassle of having to send the camera to Germany at some point. 

As an aside, Brighton would be a great place for a Leica forum meet on a nice day……..

Thank you for the response James.

I'm guessing here, even if the new M is announced later this year isn't it more likely that it won't be released realistically until the start of next year?

Which is a tad longer than I'd like to wait, just to save a couple of hundred quid.

Brighton is a great place for a photography walk. Though, I don't do much photography here myself. As I spend my weekends up in London. Which is an awesome city for walking about with a camera.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm now a happy Leica camera owner. However I went in a (slightly) different direction. I bought a M3. I went in the shop with the intention of getting a digital m. Just thought I'd have a play with the m3 whilst I was in there. And as soon as I looked through the viewfinder I knew I wanted one straight away. My Nikon Df will have to satisfy my digital fix for a while now.

I can't wait to finish my first roll of film.

I just got the roll developed and scanned.

The very first photo from my new M3.

And a few others off the same roll.

Loving the M3. However, I do need a light meter. As I don't own one. I have bought a Leica MR and it should arrive next week, so that's sorted.

I'm also definitely going to pick up a new lens. These were shot with an old Jupiter 3 I have, but it has a lot of issues. I'm thinking of getting a Zeiss planar as I love those lenses.

Lastly I'll be looking to get a film scanner, as I can (and have done) better with my dslr than these shop scans.

Despite the points above, I'm already totally hooked and loving my first steps into the rangefinder experience.

• Like 1