Very good deal on DMR; looking for opinions.

Silver Fresco

Brett,

If you can get it for a good price, then that's fine. Make sure that it fires up ok and that you don't get an Error 2 message (motherboard failure - unrepairable). If you are getting it from a dealer, then make sure you get a warranty/ For that sort of money, I would expect at least 6 months. The batteries only last for 150-200 exposures before needing a recharge. Make sure that the battery supplied can do a fair number of exposures. Battery rebuilds are straight forward.

From my point of view, I still love my DMRs. They still handle better than my S(006) IMO, even if the IQ is not as good (but good enough for an A2 enlargement)

I think of the DMR image as the Kodachrome of digital.

John

It was very expensive when it was introduced. The only reason why I still keep using the R9 DMR is the Leica R lenses!

Charlie, I passed on the DMR I originally posted about. I came across a mint, boxed DMR (with all accessories), R8 and two batteries last week. After trying it out, I bought it. Fired up straight away and after having a good play around with it, am getting around 200 exposures per battery. I'm not a big digital fan, but I love the files the DMR produces... and that menu! So simple! The a7ii (which lasted all of two weeks) made for a good trade in, so the whole deal was very good!

John, certainly digital Kodachrome (with a touch of Ektachrome at times)!

Melon18, those R lenses! 

• Like 1

Charlie, I passed on the DMR I originally posted about. I came across a mint, boxed DMR (with all accessories), R8 and two batteries last week. After trying it out, I bought it. Fired up straight away and after having a good play around with it, am getting around 200 exposures per battery. I'm not a big digital fan, but I love the files the DMR produces... and that menu! So simple! The a7ii (which lasted all of two weeks) made for a good trade in, so the whole deal was very good!

John, certainly digital Kodachrome (with a touch of Ektachrome at times)!

Melon18, those R lenses! 

I look forward to seeing some results. Even though it's a dinosaur in digital terms, it still produces great images. Let me know if you need any more advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a problem with the colour (and tonality) of digital images and keep wondering about getting rid of my (2nd - a yoyo with a Canon 5DS in between!) Sony A7Rii, nearly bought an R9/DMR combination (and have had 2 R9s) and would love something that gave a film like image. But, with the reliability worries of the DMR, do others think that the M8 or M9 with their CCD sensors would give a similar filmic quality to the DMR?

I think the SL is a much better choice for the R lenses.

In my eyes the colours are quite similar to the DMR (more so than the M240, but I do not know the M8 or M9).

The sensors in the SL (and the Q) are different to the earlier sensors. They also have a bit of that "Kodachrome" quality. (The red hues are much better than earlier sensors of the M).

I use it with R lenses since February and am happier than before with R lenses on M or Canon bodies. The EVF is great for Macro.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a user error of water damaging a nice Nikon D3.   Thermos bottle leaked in the bag.   Went to two places and deemed not repairable for lack of parts.   I was offered a used D4S at a discount to replace it which I did not take.

My theory is unless you are an electric wizard yourself,  1800 is way too much money to have tied up in something you will not get repaired.   Residual value R8 with/without a bottom plate is a film camera with questionable value.  

What I will do in the future is own only one or two cameras  which I buy new and sell off when the next model comes out.   If they are already old,  use until failure, then recycle.

Edited by tobey bilek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just had a user error of water damaging a nice Nikon D3.   Thermos bottle leaked in the bag.   Went to two places and deemed not repairable for lack of parts.   I was offered a used D4S at a discount to replace it which I did not take.

My theory is unless you are an electric wizard yourself,  1800 is way too much money to have tied up in something you will not get repaired.   Residual value R8 with/without a bottom plate is a film camera with questionable value.  

What I will do in the future is own only one or two cameras  which I buy new and sell off when the next model comes out.   If they are already old,  use until failure, then recycle.

That's the most expensive way of acquiring cameras. More cost effective to buy a little used secondhand example - there are usually plenty of pristine used cameras available. At the end of the day a s/h camera will produce images the equal of its new counterpart. 

dunk

• Like 1

If you do not mind the weight and size, the R9/DMR solution will certainly be a cost effective solution.

Compared to M lenses the R second hand lenses will be about half the price. This is true for most older Leica R lenses and they are optically of the same quality as their M counterpart.

APO R lenses are hard to find and very expensive, but IMO they are out of scope of this discussion because of the budget requirements. If you have the money for a nice Leica M with a visoflex and adapter with some ASPH or APO M lenses you should go for that.

With the DMR you get the capability of macro, zoom, and tele. Sure, there are alternatives now like the Leica M 240 with adapter and visoflex (EVF). But even then the DMR feels like the more balanced solution for large tele or zoom R lenses.

Imagine using the APO 280/ F2.8 handheld (2.4 kg) on a M9... I tried it once, but even when the DMR combo weighs about one kg extra, it handles 10x better with the larger R lenses.

The DMR is still one of  cheapest ways to get the stunning results with old Leica glass, it certainly gives better results than my M8 with comparible lenses and you get the macro and tele capabilities as bonus options

• Like 1