Very good deal on DMR; looking for opinions.

Silver Fresco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have come across what I think is a very good deal on a DMR. Basically, it is an R9 with a DMR attached. Has a battery charger and a split screen... and that is basically the package. The owner wanted 4K USD originally. I said to the dealer that what was on offer was basically an M8, and would pay no more. The owner is now willing to sell the whole package for around $1.8K USD. Am wondering if this is worth the money. Once the digital back dies, I would end up with a very nice R9...

Do you think it is worth it... or should I just go the SL (still from playing around with the system, I do love the results from the CCD... difficult decision)?

Best,

Brett.

Brett,

If you can get it for a good price, then that's fine. Make sure that it fires up ok and that you don't get an Error 2 message (motherboard failure - unrepairable). If you are getting it from a dealer, then make sure you get a warranty/ For that sort of money, I would expect at least 6 months. The batteries only last for 150-200 exposures before needing a recharge. Make sure that the battery supplied can do a fair number of exposures. Battery rebuilds are straight forward.

From my point of view, I still love my DMRs. They still handle better than my S(006) IMO, even if the IQ is not as good (but good enough for an A2 enlargement)

Assuming the R9 on its own is a good one $1.8K USD sound very reasonable to me.

FWIW: The cells of the M8/9 batteries can be used to rebuild DMR batteries. (You use two M8/9 batteries to rebuild one DMR battery)

Comparing the DMR to the M8 is probably not a fair comparison. They may be similar in resolution but the R9/DMR combo presents a lot more options than the R8.

And the DMR has a much better record of reliability.

Still too high a price. I would offer 1K USD maximum. Be prepared to walk away from the deal. 

BrianP

They were well into 2500 $ a year ago. I don't think you can find this combo cheaper right now. In fact, you'd be hard put to find it at all.

• Like 1

They were well into 2500 $ a year ago. I don't think you can find this combo cheaper right now. In fact, you'd be hard put to find it at all.

I agree but that was a year ago. The lack of spare parts,cost of rebuilding batteries etc would stop me paying silly money. If I already had one of these cameras another could be a good source of spare parts at the right price.

BrianP

Hi , just one more thing to remember the modern SD card might not be compatible to the DMR. Regards

I still use mine but with a R8, works rearly well  :)

If you do decide to get one, they only take 2GB cards as a maximum, good for about 95 images.

Hope that's helpful.

Brett,

If you can get it for a good price, then that's fine. Make sure that it fires up ok and that you don't get an Error 2 message (motherboard failure - unrepairable). If you are getting it from a dealer, then make sure you get a warranty/ For that sort of money, I would expect at least 6 months. The batteries only last for 150-200 exposures before needing a recharge. Make sure that the battery supplied can do a fair number of exposures. Battery rebuilds are straight forward.

From my point of view, I still love my DMRs. They still handle better than my S(006) IMO, even if the IQ is not as good (but good enough for an A2 enlargement)

I have a R8/DMR for several years. the Error 2 message appears occasionally, but if you remove the batteries for a short moment and put it back, the error 2 is gone.

It is Still a superb camera

Regards Peter from Switzerland

I agree but that was a year ago. The lack of spare parts,cost of rebuilding batteries etc would stop me paying silly money. If I already had one of these cameras another could be a good source of spare parts at the right price.

BrianP

The same situation a year ago...

One of my DMR batteries was re-celled by Michael Bass just over 4 years ago and it's still OK for 150 pops and more. Michael also sold me a custom DMR / Quantum 1 battery adapter cable which I use for studio photography.  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/173566-dmr-battery-rebuild-quantum-battery-cable/?hl=michael+bass   … The Quantum 1 and 1+ batteries were both re-celled locally 2 years ago. 

Fuji 2Gb SD cards work fine with the DMR and are good for approx 90 images. I'm hoping my DMR has several more years of life left in it. 

If you decide to buy the DMR consider using it with the 21-35mm R lens which equates to approx 28-50mm full frame equivalent with the 1.37 crop factor - it's a super lens and well suited to the camera.  

Apart from being a very usable camera my DMR is also a conversation piece. When used at events other photographers 'eye it' and think i'm using film - and are most surprised to learn it's a digital back. A friend who is also a Leica Forum member cannot understand why the DMR gives sharper and more pleasing results than his Canon 5D Mk III when both cameras are used with the same Leica R lens. Megapixels do not count for everything in a digital image.  

The cropped image format has its advantages too because the viewfinder shows out of frame detail e.g. people walking into the actual FOV. 

Is your potential DMR package worth $1.8 USD?  Probably a little on the high side and likely to stick on a dealer's s/h shelf for months at that price - especially with only one battery. There's little demand for DMRs nowadays but it would be a reasonable buy at $1.5 USD if all working OK. 

In the UK most dealers will not touch them because they cannot offer a guarantee - so it's a buyers' market and sellers need to be realistic about its sales prospects. 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

I think of the DMR image as the Kodachrome of digital.

John

I have a problem with the colour (and tonality) of digital images and keep wondering about getting rid of my (2nd - a yoyo with a Canon 5DS in between!) Sony A7Rii, nearly bought an R9/DMR combination (and have had 2 R9s) and would love something that gave a film like image. But, with the reliability worries of the DMR, do others think that the M8 or M9 with their CCD sensors would give a similar filmic quality to the DMR?

A friend who is also a Leica Forum member cannot understand why the DMR gives sharper and more pleasing results than his Canon 5D Mk III when both cameras are used with the same Leica R lens. Megapixels do not count for everything in a digital image.  

Don't forget that with the cropping, the sensor is only recording from the best part of the lens. All those pesky little soft bits in the corners of a full frame are cropped out in-camera, so the resulting image is likely to be sharper and with fewer aberrations.

• Like 1